It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jimmy's old DB coach
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:32 am 
Superstar
Superstar

BeamerBall.com: Were you surprised that Jimmy Williams didn't get drafted in the first round of the NFL Draft?

Lorenzo Ward: Well, we thought that Jimmy Williams was the second best defensive back in the draft. We only had one cornerback ahead of him and that was the kid that we drafted, Michael Huff. Huff had a little more speed and quickness than Jimmy. Jimmy had better size than Huff, but we thought Huff had the speed and quickness and we went with Huff.

BeamerBall.com: You've sent a bunch of guys to the NFL (Ronyell Whitaker - Vikings, DeAngelo Hall - Falcons, Eric Green - Cardinals, Vinnie Fuller - Titans, Jimmy Williams - Falcons, Justin Hamilton - Browns). That has to make you proud.

Lorenzo Ward: I'm proud of any kid who worked hard, tried to do things right, and, concentrated on getting an education. If some go on to the NFL, that's great. I think every guy who plays college football, somewhere in the back of their mind, they'd like a shot at the NFL. It's just a football players dream. For me to play a part in trying to make that happen, yes, it's very satisfying. The NFL gives these players an opportunity to set themselves up for life. Now, the other thing that's big with me is getting that degree. I'm very proud of Fuller and Green for doing that. I want to see DeAngelo go back and get his and I want to see Jimmy Williams finish his work in the class as well. I know Ronyell Whitaker is very close to getting his degree and he knows that I want to see that happen. And, of course, they don't come any brighter than Justin Hamilton and I'm proud that he's a graduate of Virginia Tech. Those guys all know how important that is to me and the one's who haven't graduated always get an earful from me. I want my players to be excellent on the football field, but I also want them to walk through life with a college degree as well. The NFL is short, life is long, you need that degree. I'm proud of those guys. And, there are some players in the secondary at Virginia Tech who'll also get a shot at the next level. So, there's more to come.

BeamerBall.com: Does Virginia Tech have a reputation with the NFL? If so, what is it?

Lorenzo Ward: The NFL knows that Virginia Tech doesn't get the top recruits from around the country. They don't get the top of the line athletes, but, Tech turns them into top of the line athletes. Tech's reputation is that they develop tough, talented football players who know how to win. That's well respected in this league. I got the job here because of the way we play defense at Virginia Tech. The reason they called me is because they were looking for coaches and they went on the internet to find out who had the best college defense over the last five years and it was Tech. So, they called me and said they wanted me to come out for an interview. So, I thank Virginia Tech and everybody involved for helping me get this opportunity to coach in the NFL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:22 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

- jimmy blurb

Bob, Atl Ga: what do you think of Jimmy Williams - is she a shut down corner ? Will that give atlanta the best duo in the nfl ? Hall is a great one...

Jeremy Green: In terms of pure talent, he was the best DC in the draft. He only dropped because of some potential character issues. If he goes in there and works the way he is capable of working, he will be the top DC from an excellent DC draft class.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:12 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

This tandem has *TONS* of potential. I'm a big Hall fan, and I just love the idea of teaming him with Williams.

I'm still now sure how the guy that many mags and experts pegged to be the top or #2 corner in the draft fell into the second round.

What a stroke of luck for us!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:58 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

The real shocker is that teams with reputations for taking questionable character players even passed on him, when they needed a CB/SS. I think williams will end up being a safety for us, as he is just a little too big, and a little too stiff in the hips. He has a problem in man to man coverage, but would be the perfect Big hitting safety.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:16 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I agree with BB. I think J-Will projects better long term as a rangy free safety in the same vein as Sean Taylor, rather than a big corner like a Bobby Taylor. I like Williams' upside, but I don't think he's going to be a star corner for this team. BUt for the near future, I'm just looking for a guy that can be a significant upgrade over Webster.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:54 am 
Superstar
Superstar

To me he's a corner. Thats what he really excelled in at Tech. The only problem he had last year was an occasional lack of concentration. That was solely b/c he was only thrown against, maybe 2 times a game. You team his size/speed/and knock your head off hitting, with DeLo's speed/coverage/and ball skills, then you're just getting into the pick your poison type of thing. I could see him at FS later in his career, but to me he's a corner for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:09 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

BirdBrain wrote:
The real shocker is that teams with reputations for taking questionable character players even passed on him, when they needed a CB/SS. I think williams will end up being a safety for us, as he is just a little too big, and a little too stiff in the hips. He has a problem in man to man coverage, but would be the perfect Big hitting safety.

See I completely disagree with that. From all the film I've watched "J-Dub" has incredibly fluid hips for someone his size. When I watched VT games last season people didn't even try his side of the field, and when they did Williams either picked the ball, or killed whoever caught it (aside from a couple of instances where it looked like he quit paying attention for a couple of plays). He's gonna be a corner for us, and he's going to be a really good one. He may never reach elite status, but we don't need him to. That's what D Hall is for

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:13 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

- LOL, just something I ran across...

Ahmed (Boston): How could the Seahawks pass up Jimmy Williams for Little Kelly Jennings, especially with guys like Fitzgerald and Boldin in their division?

Jeremy Green: (4:07 PM ET ) Other than Cromartie (who only started 1 game in college) you could say that Williams was the most talented DC in the draft. It was off-the-field concerns that forced Seattle and may other teams to pass. I agree with your assesment though - Williams is the better player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 5:01 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Steve-O wrote:
BirdBrain wrote:

See I completely disagree with that. From all the film I've watched "J-Dub" has incredibly fluid hips for someone his size. When I watched VT games last season people didn't even try his side of the field, and when they did Williams either picked the ball, or killed whoever caught it (aside from a couple of instances where it looked like he quit paying attention for a couple of plays). He's gonna be a corner for us, and he's going to be a really good one. He may never reach elite status, but we don't need him to. That's what D Hall is for

Tell Reggie Bush JW has "fluid hips". He has a rep for getting beat by athletic players. I too watched his games last year and he really was never tested by a top 25 QB the whole year.

Jay Davies- N.C State
Duke???????
Ohio U. ????????
Reggie Ball- Ga Tech
W. Virginia- Running team
Marshall-??????
Maryland-??????
BC-???????
Mia- Ran the ball...used Great Defense to beat Tech
Vir-??????
Drew Weatherford- Fla ST.
hunter cantwell- Louisville

Not a top WR or QB in the bunch...a very weak conference. When he did face good QB's he did get thrown on....More than one draft report said his only two weaknesses were his "looking in too often" and his play against elite receivers, getting beat on long balls due to his slowness in getting his hips turned to the play. Now I do LOVE the guy!!!!! I was estatic he fell to us. On the Roost I have him as my SIG!!! He will be a great safety in this league, but not a great Corner.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:55 am 
Superstar
Superstar

This stiff hips stuff is ridiculous. Granted I only saw Williams play twice last season, I saw nothing coming close to stiff hips. This stiff hips stuff is what all the experts cited in the media after JW was drafted by the lowly Crows. Before that, the only regurgitation was the character issues but now he's got stiff hips.lol What a joke. When the Falcons passed over Moss because of character issues, the Falcons were derided by people like Terrence Moore,...so JW slipped into the second round because of character issues and now he has stiff hips. People amaze me how they tend to be like parrots saying what others say.

He won't be playing safety,...and if he does it'll be due to injury, and nothing else. If I'm wrong I'll admit it,...so we'll see soon enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:19 am 
Superstar
Superstar

ACC is a weak conference, lol. Which league not only had the most first round draftee's, but the most draftees period...ACC! VT had the second most players drafted, right behind USC. No WR's, Calvin Johnson's considered the best WR in the country right now. The reason pep were all over Jimmy at the start of the year last year, was b/c people couldn't believe someone who was 6'2, 215lbs could have hips that fluids like he had, plus come down in the box and lay the lumber. Plus Mora and co. and reiterated 20x he's a corner.

Post subject: JW
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:29 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Whatever is said about the drawbacks of JW is cancelled by the fact that he will be a corner on the Falcons. That is to say he will be a corner with D. Hall on the other side of the field. With his size and ability to hit people you can be certain that he will be able to destroy nearly every #2 WR in the league. Hall will always have the #1 if the guy has speed or an ability to get downfield. JW is fluid and fast enough to keep up with the regular #2s and if for some reason a #1 is that 6'5" guy JW could keep up with him enough to prevent 'jump balls' while Hall covers the #2. The Birds got a gift in JW slipping to the second round, make no mistake about it, and teamed with Hall we will quickly have the best duo of corners in the league.

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:34 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Hips, hips, hips,...stop looking at other men's hips!lol

Mora did indeed say that JW has fluid hip movement after mini camp.

This reminds me of Michael Booker,...remember him? Now he HAD stiff hips for a fact. JW is not Booker in any fashion or form. It's the Falcons detractors that are looking for any reason to say JW is a bust. I have read at least two experts say he was a reach for the Falcons and it's just ridiculous.

The ACC is just behind, IMO, the SEC as the two finest college football conferences in the country. Note that key word,...college.

Am not saying JW will shine from the start of training camp, few rooks do. But to suggest he'll be playing safety after the Falcons invested in Milloy and Crock is a crock, I'm sorry. Oh yeah,...if one of those guys gets dinged?,...we might see that happen. But there's simply no other scenario that'd have JW playing safety. One has to see the Falcons' tendencies the last two seasons, and heck, even when this staff was in San Fran. This staff has a rigid set of,...ummm,...how can I say this,...they have a plan and they rarely change things. Yes, the Falcons offense appeared to change in mid-season last year and there was the benching of Scott and Carpenter but overall there's very little this staff changes,...it's called being consistent and that means, as you so perfectly pointed out, that JW is a CB, drafted as a CB and will be developed as a CB. If I'm proven wrong?,...I will be the first to admit it.;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:56 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Now, why would Williams have been predicted by most mags and experts to be the top CB or #2 CB in the whole draft if he had stiff hips???

Here's some comments that I found by doing a quick Google search. If his hips are his biggest weakness, man, did we get a steal!!!!

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/draft/pros ... Id=5527764
"Williams is quick to turn coming out of his backpedal. He shows balance and loose hips coming out of transition and rarely takes false steps on his breaks."

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NF ... Review.htm
"Has fluid movement skills and can turn and open up his hips."

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scouti ... liams.html
"Has fluid hips and shows good footwork."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/williams_jimmy
"He has excellent hips, which helps him be very good in bump-and-run coverage."
"Hips/Turn Ability: He has excellent hips and has shown ability to flip hips and turn and run without losing a step."
"Williams has very good foot quickness, can accelerate to full speed in a flash and has the playing speed to run with receivers on deep routes. He has great hips and in press coverage has shown the ability to flip hips to turn and run with receivers without losing a step."

http://football.about.com/od/nationalfo ... lliams.htm
"He has the most fluid hips of any CB in the draft other than Antonio Cromartie, who is injured."

http://nfldraft.rivals.com/cviewplayer. ... tingreport
"He has fine fluid movements and can come out of his breaks and run stride for stride with most receivers deep down the field."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:32 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

We will see.....archived posts are great to have in mid-season, after he has been burned a few times. Unless of course he spends most of his time in the nickel package and we won't find out until next year, which is fine by me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:03 pm 

PB, I disagree with you only on the basis that I don't think the Falcons have invested in Milloy. Sure the Falcons gave Crocker a pay raise this year, and Milloy got some money, but neither have big contracts like say we gave to Hartwell or Abraham recently that guarantees they are Falcons for a few years.

Crocker is a free agent after the '07 season, and Milloy after '08. If you look at their contracts, both players can be cut after this season with no detriment to our cap situation. In fact, we'd save roughly $750K or so against the 2007 if we cut both players.

Right now, both Crocker and Milloy are experiments, and hopefully will pay much better dividends than their predecessors. I too expect J-Will to play cornerback early on in his Falcon career, but if he doesn't take that well over the first 3 or 4 years, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see the Falcons move him to safety. And I'm not saying I think either Crocker or MIlloy are going to be cut after this year, but don't doubt the fact that either player is nothing more than a stopgap. Crocker is young, but he is going to have to show something over the next 2 years in order to get a nice extension from Atlanta. And more than likely, Milloy's career is going to be over by the time his contract expires.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:47 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

I know i haven't had the chance to say it here, but i really like Crocker..he seems to have all the attributes one looks for at his position. He really flies to the ball, tackles well and will hit you hard enough for you to remember. Milloy, I think, has played his best football and is just a one, possibly two year lease job. I hope his leadership qualities are still intact and he teaches the young guys a little about the game. He is really a great pickup though, even if we keep him until Williams is ready to assume the role.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:09 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

BirdBrain wrote:
I know i haven't had the chance to say it here, but i really like Crocker..he seems to have all the attributes one looks for at his position. He really flies to the ball, tackles well and will hit you hard enough for you to remember. Milloy, I think, has played his best football and is just a one, possibly two year lease job. I hope his leadership qualities are still intact and he teaches the young guys a little about the game. He is really a great pickup though, even if we keep him until Williams is ready to assume the role.

I like what I've read about Crocker as well. He seems to really want to "bring the wood" when he hits people, and I've read an article indicating him and Milloy have been spending some extra time together getting on the same page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:07 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

nice to see you over here Cowbell, welcome!!! :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:21 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

BirdBrain wrote:
nice to see you over here Cowbell, welcome!!! :lol: