It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: McKay Article
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 3:05 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Here's an article on the Commish search, but I posted the part about McKay and if he gets the job. It seems Blank might decide to split the position if McKay does get it.

How does everyone feel about that?

http://www.ajc.com/sunday/content/epape ... e008d.html

Falcons' backup plan

Blank has a backup plan if the Falcons lose McKay to the NFL commissioner job.

"If Rich becomes the commissioner, I will probably look for a very high building to jump off of," Blank joked. "That would be my backup plan."

One scenario has Ray Anderson, the team's executive vice president/chief administrative officer, and Billy Devaney, the team's senior personnel executive, splitting McKay's duties.

"Rich would be a very difficult man to replace," Blank said. "He could not be replaced with a single person."

McKay, through a team official, said he will not comment on the commissioner search.

"I only want for Rich really what is the best thing for him," Blank said. "If this is something he wants to pursue, something he wants to do, then it's really a personal matter between him and his family.

"I'm going to support him. I know he would be a great commissioner. On the other hand, looking at it from a corporate perspective and my own perspective, I'd love to see him stay in Atlanta. I know he loves it here, loves the Falcons.

"We'll have to see how this plays out."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 4:08 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

It makes sense, it seems Blank is more patient when it comes to the GM job than other positions. I don't think he's going to go out and hire some new person that is going to radically shape up the front office and change the team's approach to winning and/or personnel acquisition. A new GM with McKay's powers likely would fire Mora, and in their first 2-3 years would likely reverse all the progress and/or accomplishments McKay has seemingly made. That's not to say a new GM would be inherently inferior to McKay, but it would probably be a step back if Blank were to hire a guy like Donahoe or Spielman or somebody like that to hold the same title as McKay.

It seems clear to me that Devaney is the "unofficial" Assistant GM that is currently the most likely to be named and currently working as Ruskell's successor.

Only 11 teams feature a GM/President type individual like McKay, who answers only to the owner: Atlanta, Baltimore, Buffalo, Detroit, Green Bay, Indianapolis, Kansas City, N.Y. Giants, N.Y. Jets, San Diego, and Seattle. And among them probably only Ozzie Newsome (Ravens), Bill Polian (Colts), Carl Peterson (Chiefs), and Ernie Accorsi (Giants) are as esteemed as McKay is. So you're talkign about replacing a Top 5 GM basically.

Most other teams have 2-3 individuals that share the power that McKay has here in Atlanta. In the case of the Bears, you have Team President Ted Phillips who basically runs the front office, while GM Jerry Angelo makes personnel decisions. Several teams feature that sort of structure, where they have a "CEO/President" who presides over the front office, but personnel decisions are made by a GM, Director of PLayer Personnel, or even a coach. Other teams like the Steelers, Titans, or New England, basically have a GM that shares personnel power with the head coach. Their power fluctuates with the GM having a bit more say at times, but the coach having a bit more say at others.

I would suspect under any new front office structure, Devaney would take over McKay's duties as the sort of CEO type of the front office, and be the chief personnel guy, but I'd suspect people like Phil Emery, Brian Xanders, and Les Snead would get a little more power/influence. Anderson would be given probably some fancy new title, but would essentially perform the same function as chief contract negotiator and cap manager.

In truth, I would suspect that Blank would his bide his time until he could find a way to lure Tim Ruskell back to Atlanta.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:29 pm 

I don't think there is any question that Devany is the future GM of this team if McKay moves elsewhere. He seemed to be calling a lot of shots this past off-season. Likely moves handed too him by McKay but he was calling them none the less.