All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Osi Overrated, Baker Underrated According to Prisco
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:17 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Overrated-underrated: Broncos' nickel DB Harris worth every penny
June 7, 2013 10:02 AM ET

170 | Comments

Chris Harris proved invaluable to the Broncos during a run to the playoffs last season. (USATSI) Chris Harris proved invaluable to the Broncos during a run to the playoffs last season. (USATSI)

In the past when doing my underrated-overrated column each summer, I tended to focus on the most overrated player.

This time, I am highlighting the league's most underrated player.

See, I can see the good in players.
Breakout players
Jaguars' Shorts poised to make name for himself

The most underrated player in the NFL is Denver nickel cornerback Chris Harris. Playing on a team with Champ Bailey can lead to getting targeted and overlooked. Yet Harris did a heck of a job in Denver. Forced into a starting role last season, he still slid inside in the slot on passing downs and was exceptional.

Harris never backed down against the best, and he now gets to spend his practices working against Wes Welker, which will only help him.

In Bailey, Harris and Tony Carter, the Broncos' corners did a nice job last season. Harris gets my vote as the league's most underrated player, beating out Lawrence Timmons of the Steelers.

So who's the most overrated player? It's not Tony Romo, if that's what you think. I might be in the minority, but I actually think Romo is underrated.

There, I said it.

Since perennial overrated candidate Troy Polamalu isn't rated that highly anymore, he isn't this year's most overrated. Nor is last year's winner, Ndamukong Suh. He played really well in the second half of the 2012 season.

This year's pick is Giants defensive end Justin Tuck. He spent more time doing Subway commercials than playing good football in 2012. He was a definite name-over-game player with just four sacks. There were times on tape where you wondered how he was ever a dominant pass rusher.

Now here are the most overrated and underrated players on all 32 teams.

Arizona Cardinals

Overrated: DE Darnell Dockett. He has been one of my favorite players to watch, but he didn't play as well in 2012. Is he coming to the end? Or can he bounce back?

Underrated: DE Calais Campbell. He is starting to get some attention, but not enough. He is one of the best young 3-4 down players in the league. It's time he went to a Pro Bowl.

Atlanta Falcons

Overrated: DE Osi Umenyiora. The game isn't as good as the name anymore. He needs to show that he can be an elite pass rusher again. Can he get double-digit sacks? The Falcons better hope so.

Underrated: LT Sam Baker. Too many analysts paid attention to right tackle Tyson Clabo in 2012, but Baker was the better player. After battling injuries for much of his career, he settled in to have a heck of a season.

Baltimore Ravens

Overrated: RT Michael Oher. He played better when he moved to the right side in the playoff run, but his play in recent years has been a major concern.

Underrated: CB Corey Graham. They signed him to be a backup and special-teams player and he ended up being a key to their Super Bowl run.

Buffalo Bills

Overrated: WR-KR Brad Smith. They paid him a lot of money with the idea he would help liven up the offense. He didn't do much.

Underrated: DT Kyle Williams. He should take a permanent hold of this spot every year. He doesn't get a lot of attention, but he's a heck of a player.

Carolina Panthers

Overrated: RBs Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams. These guys are paid a ton and they don't do nearly enough for that money. Stewart played in only nine games last season and averaged 3.6 per carry. Williams ran for 737 yards and averaged 4.3 per carry. Average.

Underrated: QB Cam Newton. Yes, Newton. With all the attention the four young quarterbacks got last year, he was kind of the forgotten man. That's just stupid. He really came on in the second half of 2012. Newton will have a huge season in 2013.

Chicago Bears

Overrated: LT Jermon Bushrod. Yes, I know they needed help. And he's better than what they had. But he had some issues last season in New Orleans. He's not as good as his contract, that's for sure.

Underrated: CB Tim Jennings. He isn't elite like some Bears fans would make you think, but he is coming off an impressive season. The question now is whether he can do it again.

Cincinnati Bengals

Overrated: TE Jermaine Gresham. This former first-round pick has a ton of ability, but it just doesn't show up. Will it now that they've added Tyler Eiffert?

Underrated: CB Adam Jones. Yes, the guy formally known as Pacman. He had a heck of a season in 2012 as a nickel corner.

Cleveland Browns

Overrated: OLB Paul Kruger. I know he's coming off a good season, but is he really an elite player like they paid him? I don't think so. Good, not great.

Underrated: S T.J. Ward. In his third season, this hard-hitting safety improved in all areas and could have easily been a Pro Bowl player.

Dallas Cowboys

Overrated: WR Miles Austin. In 2009, he looked like a future star. In the years since, that hasn't been the case. He didn't even get to 1,000 yards last season.

Underrated: DE Jason Hatcher. He has developed into a nice 3-4 end for the Cowboys. He isn't an explosive pass rusher, but he gets the job done.

Denver Broncos

Overrated: WR Wes Welker. I like his game a lot. He is a good player. But I see lists that have him ranked in the top 50 players in the league. He's not that. And where does he rank in terms of receivers on his own team?

Underrated: CB Chris Harris. I love the way he competes on a weekly basis. He edges out linebacker Wesley Woodyard.

Detroit Lions

Overrated: TE Brandon Pettigrew. You look at him and you see big-play ability. So where is it? Even in a pass-first offense he averaged under 10 yards per catch.

Underrated: DT Nick Fairley. Playing next to Ndamukong Suh, he doesn't get the due he deserves. But he had an impressive 2012 season.

Green Bay Packers

Overrated: TE Jermichael Finley. They say he's focused this offseason and looks better, but hasn't he become a big tease? The talent is there. He needs to do more.

Underrated: CB Sam Shields. He is a good man-cover player who has a chance to be a shutdown corner. He isn't big, and he isn't a great tackler, but he can cover.

Houston Texans

Overrated: S Ed Reed. This was one of the easiest picks of them all. Watch his tape from 2012. And then tell me he's the same type of player he used to be. He's not.

Underrated: CB Kareem Jackson. He didn't play well in his first two seasons, but he came on last season as a cover player. He was much more consistent and did a much better job when asked to play on an island.

Indianapolis Colts

Overrated: S LaRon Landry. I just don't see the attraction. He is a liability in coverage, even if he is an upgrade over what they had last season. He would have been great in the 1980s.

Underrated: LB Jerrell Freeman. This former CFL refugee has turned into a good pickup for the Colts. He is an active linebacker who can run a little.

Jacksonville Jaguars

Overrated: TE Marcedes Lewis. He had one good year in 2010, but that's about it for this former first-round pick. He is a good blocker, but you don't draft tight ends in the first round to block.

Underrated: LT Eugene Monroe. He has developed into a top-tier tackle. Monroe is entering his contract year, so I expect he will be even better.

Kansas City Chiefs

Overrated: WR Dwayne Bowe. Is he really elite? I just don't see it. He's good, not great. He has been held back by bad quarterback play, but that's just part of it. He needs to do more.

Underrated: G Jon Asamoah. He is a mauler in the run game and has improved in pass protection. He might be on his way to his first Pro Bowl in 2013.

Miami Dolphins

Overrated: G Richie Incognito. He is a good run blocker, but struggles at times in pass protection. He went to the Pro Bowl last year. Should he have?

Underrated: S Reshad Jones. It's a shame he didn't go to the Pro Bowl last season. He was one of the better safeties in the AFC. It's time he gets his due.

Minnesota Vikings

Overrated: OLB Chad Greenway. He gets paid a pretty penny and he didn't play to it in 2012. He had some issues in coverage where a lack of great speed showed up. He used to be a better cover linebacker.

Underrated: C John Sullivan. He does a good job in the middle of the Vikings' line and is a big reason Adrian Peterson ran for more than 2,000 yards with a bad knee.

New England Patriots

Overrated: G Logan Mankins. He has battled injury issues the past two seasons, but that doesn't mean he can't be overrated. He is a good player at guard now, but not one of the league's best.

Underrated: C Ryan Wendell. He stepped in for veteran Dan Koppen and did a heck of a job in the middle of the Patriots' line. Playing center in New England's up-tempo offense takes a lot of smarts.

New Orleans Saints

Overrated: RB Mark Ingram. What has he done? Where is the ability to make people miss? This is an easy pick.

Underrated: WR Marques Colston. All he does is put up huge numbers year after year and never gets to the Pro Bowl. He is tough, physical and makes the hard catches.

New York Giants

Overrated: DE Justin Tuck. He was a good player a few years ago, but he had more sacks in 2010 (11½) than he did the past two seasons combined. At 30, it's too early for him to be done.

Underrated: TE Brandon Myers. They picked him up as a free agent from Oakland for nothing. He isn't a blocker, but he will really help in the passing game.

New York Jets

Overrated: LB David Harris. He has been underrated for much of his career, but he didn't play very well in 2012. Can he bounce back?

Underrated: DE Muhammad Wilkerson. He has developed into a beast for the Jets' front seven. It's too bad hardly anybody noticed last season.

Oakland Raiders

Overrated: CB Mike Jenkins. I expected a lot more from him in Dallas. He looked like a potential star early in his career, but he fizzled.

Underrated: DE Lamarr Houston. He is one of Oakland's few defensive players who had a good season in 2012. Now he has to build on it.

Philadelphia Eagles

Overrated: WR DeSean Jackson. Yes, the ability is there. But where is the production? He had 45 catches last season, two for touchdowns. That's not good enough, even if he did play only 11 games.

Underrated: OG Evan Mathis. On a bad line in 2012, he did a lot of things right. He can move. He's tough. He can also pass protect. Mathis should have been in the Pro Bowl.

Pittsburgh Steelers

Overrated: OLB LaMarr Woodley. He came to camp out of shape, battled injuries and didn't play like the team hoped he would. The talent is still there, but he needs a bounce-back season.

Underrated: ILB Lawrence Timmons. It's amazing how comfortable he looks inside with his ability to get to the football.

St. Louis Rams

Overrated: TE Jared Cook. The Rams are paying a lot of money to a fifth-year tight end who has never had 50 catches in a season. I love the potential, but where is the production?

Underrated: DE William Hayes. He isn't a starter, but he gets a lot of time and makes a lot of plays. They re-signed him as a free agent for a reason.

San Diego Chargers

Overrated: TE Antonio Gates. Hey, I loved his game for years. And he's a class act in the locker room. But he isn't the same player anymore, even if some still rank him among the league's best.

Underrated: ILB Donald Butler. He has emerged as a heck of an inside linebacker. He has a nose for the ball and could push for a Pro Bowl spot this season.

San Francisco 49ers

Overrated: TE Vernon Davis. He is good, and he did some good things in the playoffs, but why do people think he ranks in the top three among tight ends when he didn't do enough in the regular season with 41 catches?

Underrated: OLB Ahmad Brooks. On a talent-laden group, he gets overlooked. That's a mistake. Some offensive coordinators I talked to raved about him.

Seattle Seahawks

Overrated: DE Cliff Avril. He is coming off a so-so season for the Lions, which is why he didn't get the huge deal he thought he would get. I had him underrated on this list a year ago. How quickly things change.

Underrated: C Max Unger. He is quietly developing into a top-level center. I give him the edge on this team over tight end Zach Miller and defensive tackle Brandon Mebane.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Overrated: S Dashon Goldson. He's a good, solid player, but he was exposed some in the postseason in coverage. The Bucs paid him a lot of money -- star money -- and he is not that.

Underrated: QB Josh Freeman. The guy sets franchise records for yards and touchdown passes and some want to get rid of him? Please.

Tennessee Titans

Overrated: S Michael Griffin. He misses a ton of tackles and takes really poor angles to the football.

Underrated: DT Jurrell Casey. He was a guy I liked coming out of Southern California, but he is undersized. He makes up for it with his tenacity and quickness. He can be tough to block.

Washington Redskins

Overrated: WR Pierre Garcon. He was hurt for some of his first season in Washington, but is he really worth all that money they paid him as a free agent?

Underrated: C Will Montgomery. This journeyman is coming off an impressive season in the middle of the Washington line. He's a big reason why Alfred Morris ran wild in 2012.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Osi Overrated, Baker Underrated According to Prisco
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:26 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

You see Pudge, a respected journalist is a fan of Baker.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:10 pm 

That same journalist rated Baker as the 20th best LT in the game. So I was wrong when I called him the Ryan Fitzpatrick of Left Tackles, he's the Andy Dalton of Left Tackles.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2232 ... -contender

Although looking over Prisco's list, I think putting Baker somewhere in the 24-27 range is more accurate ranking of him.

My problem with Baker is that the Falcons have known since 2009 that he was a poor fit in the blocking scheme. And yet their only action to "correct" that flaw was drafting Lamar Holmes with a 3rd round pick last year. A player that is a better fit in the blocking scheme, but probably only as a right tackle. Now the Falcons have committed at least another 3 years to Baker. So that means that the Falcons will play 6 seasons with a left tackle that doesn't fit their offense.

The other thing I hold against Baker is that the Falcons haven't had a good left tackle since the heyday of Bob Whitfield. At the latest that was 2002, at the earliest that would be 1997 for some folks. So if Sam Baker is the Falcons left tackle through 2015, that means at a minimum the Falcons had a below average starting left tackle for anywhere between 13-18 years. Left tackle is one of the four pillar positions.

Let's take Josh Freeman for example. Josh Freeman is an effective starting QB that can be good from time to time. But it's very clear that he'll never be an elite QB. He doesn't have the intangibles, work ethic, or leadership ability to put a team on his back. He's not particularly accurate and the point is there is a firm glass ceiling on how good a QB he can be. On his best days, he can be the 12th best QB in the league, but for the most part he's going to be somewhere between 16 and 20. But he's a guy you can win with if you put the right pieces around him, I think most would agree. If he was playing on a team the caliber of the 49ers, you could go far with him. If he is playing on a team the current caliber of the Bucs, then you're probably shooting for 9-7 at best.

But let's say Freeman has a good 2013, plays his best football and helps the Bucs sneak into the wildcard and the Bucs decide to lock him up long-term. Now despite a good 2013 where he played his best football and was a much more consistently effective/good player than previous years, you still have to be cognizant of his limitations. Again, he's NEVER going to be a player that can consistently play at a Top 10 QB level.

So at what level do you negotiate with Freeman after the season?

There are 3-tiers where you can expect to try and fit Freeman's salary in:

1. Matt Schaub $$$ - Schaub got a 5-yr. $66M ($13.2M/yr) with $29M guaranteed back in Sept. 2012
2. Tony Romo $$$ - Romo got a 7-yr. $119.5M ($17.1M/yr) with $47.5M guaranteed in March 2013
3. Joe Flacco $$$ - Flacco got 6-yrs. $120.6M ($20.1M/yr.) with $52M guaranteed in March 2013

Freeman should be negotiated at Schaub tier. But the nature of the market probably means he gets more money that that. But if Freeman's people start the negotations at Romo's level, then I as the Bucs will probably balk because Freeman WILL NEVER be a player as good as Romo. But even still, if I'm going to give him Romo money, then his contract is going to be structured so that at most I'm really only committing 2-3 more years to him as my starter before I can get rid of him. Because he's not a player that is worth committing more time to.

Freeman is one of those players that really only deserves to take up about 5-7 years of your team's history. He's not a guy that deserves more than that. He's more Chris Chandler/Chris Miller than Matt Ryan/Steve Bartkowski, if you catch my drift. He's been there since 2009, and the starter since 2010. If you commit another 2 years to him as your starter after 2013, that would mean that you had him as your starter for 6 years. That's about all he deserves.

But if the Bucs turn around and give him a contract that commits another 4+ years to him, then they are making a grave mistake.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:10 pm 

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2013/6/11/ ... the-roster

The Most Overrated And Underrated Players On The Roster

By Dave Choate on Jun 11 2013, 8:00a  @TheFalcoholic 7
Stay connected for news and updates

Kevin C. Cox

 Share
 Tweet (2)
7 Comments

Okay, I'll take Pete Prisco's bait. Just this once!

The CBS Sports columnist ran down the players he believes are most overrated and underrated for each team. For the Falcons, he selected Osi Umenyiora as his most overrated, based on his declining numbers in recent years. His most underrated? Sam Baker.

Let me be clear: Baker did a good job last year. It was arguably his best season as the team's starting left tackle, and he got a nice fat contract for it. I would actually argue that Prisco is overrating Baker, who is about a league average left tackle when everything balances out. We can be too harsh on him, but unless this is the start of a greatly improved
Overrated

Give me Justin Blalock. The Falcons have a few candidates for this, from the slightly overrated Asante Samuel to Harry Douglas, who gets a lot more credit than he should for being an average slot receiver and all-around good guy. Only Blalock combines a fat contract with slightly above average play. Falcons fans know that Blalock is a good guy to have around, but hardly an elite left guard. On the national level, he gets quite a bit of credit he probably doesn't deserve, and I say that as a Blalock fan.
Underrated

Last year's injury hurts his case, but Corey Peters would be my choice. He's an effective defensive tackle who has been criminally underrated, being called one of the worst in the league over and over again for reasons unclear.

You could also make a reasonable and quite persuasive case for Sean Weatherspoon, Matt Ryan and Robert McClain, among others. Heck, the Falcons in general are a bit underrated.

Who is your most overrated and underrated player?

Profile E-mail