Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Grading the NFC South offseason
June, 5, 2013
Jun 5
4:42
PM ET
By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

Check out this Insider postInsider in which Matt Williamson grades the offseason for every NFC team. The NFC South didn’t fare very well in Williamson’s eyes.

The exception is the New Orleans Saints, who got a B-plus. A lot of people are concerned about the pass rush, but Williamson thinks the Saints will be fine in that area with outside linebackers Victor Butler, Junior Galette and Martez Wilson possessing the ability to get after the passer. That’s a bit of a leap of faith because none of those guys are proven pass-rushers. But all three do have some potential. Williamson also acknowledges left tackle is a concern. But he thinks the strong interior of the line will help compensate for that.

The grades drop significantly after the Saints.

Although the Tampa Bay Buccaneers made a huge trade for cornerback Darrelle Revis and signed safety Dashon Goldson to a big free-agent contract, Williamson only gave the Bucs a C. His major concern is the pass rush. But the Bucs seem to be fairly convinced that defensive end Da’Quan Bowers is ready for a breakout season. Williamson was also critical of the Bucs for not doing more on the offensive side of the ball. I see his point. The Bucs have plenty of salary-cap room and they could have done more to surround quarterback Josh Freeman with talent.

Williamson gave the Atlanta Falcons a C-minus, which I think is a little harsh. I think the Falcons upgraded significantly at running back by replacing Michael Turner with Steven Jackson and they got a little younger at defensive end by bringing in Osi Umenyiora to take John Abraham’s place. Williamson seems to think the Falcons will have problems getting a pass rush from anyone beside Umenyiora, but I think the Falcons are confident at least one of their young defensive ends will step up. Williamson also has doubts about the offensive line. I won’t dispute that one because it remains to be seen if Lamar Holmes is ready to be the starting right tackle.

Williamson also gave the Carolina Panthers a C-minus. His major complaint is that the Panthers didn’t do enough to improve their secondary. It’s hard to argue with that. But I do think the Panthers have assembled what could be one of the league’s best front sevens and that could take some heat off the secondary.

Post subject: Re: Pat Y grading the NFC south
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:36 pm 

That dude is on crack with his grades. The Falcon's didn't really upgrade significantly overall we certainly don't stand a C- grade. B- at worst and B+ at best me thinks.

Dude has a hard on for the Saints for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:53 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

If we didn't really upgrade in the off-season how can we want more than a C ?

In fact I go lower than that because of our lack of anything on the Offensive line. A
poor offensive line can hurt everything, the running game and passing game....We're totally hoping we get lucky with about everyone on the O-Line. You get an uneasy feeling when Sam Baker is your main man.

Maybe I just got the Negative bug that Pudge gets at this time of the year.....?

If it all starts upfront, why are all our stars either behind center, or on the outside.??

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:47 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Look, I get how a person could be down on the Falcons off-season.

Best OL in 2012: Tyson Clabo

Gone. Replaced with Lamar Holmes and Mike Johnson. Why would anyone outside Flowery Branch feel like the Falcons got better there?

Lose Todd McClure to be replaced by Peter Konz.

Konz stunk last year, why would you feel like they got better there?

Arguably best player on defense: John Abraham

Replaced with Osi Umenyiora. A downgrade by most accounts.

Dunta Robinson dumped for a pair of rookies. Even if you like Desmond Trufant and/or Robert Alford, rookie corners typically don't play that well.

Really, then what are you giving credit for? Steven Jackson. An over the hill running back replacing another over the hill running back.

I don't agree with his grades. But I get why someone would be less than thrilled with the Falcons offseason.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:08 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote
Quote:

Gone. Replaced with Lamar Holmes and Mike Johnson. Why would anyone outside Flowery Branch feel like the Falcons got better there?

I really started late paying attention to the Falcons this year, but besides this is Joe Hawley going to be our right guard, and Sam Baker our star veteran?? Who's are second string Qb this year?? He may get a lot of action after Ryan gets killed!!

The defensive line may even be worse.? Thomas D. needs to pick up about 3 veterans and pray!!

I like S. Jackson a lot because after Ryan checks down after not finding his receivers,
(Ryan will be running for his life,) I think Jackson will make some big yardage in open field on short passes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:38 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

The constant love for the Taints gets old. Even when they have a losing season, the media cover it up by saying Payton is back. As for the Buccs, they'll come dead last in our division cause Freeman succs.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:22 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:

Arguably best player on defense: John Abraham

Replaced with Osi Umenyiora. A downgrade by most accounts.

Dunta Robinson dumped for a pair of rookies. Even if you like Desmond Trufant and/or Robert Alford, rookie corners typically don't play that well.

Really, then what are you giving credit for? Steven Jackson. An over the hill running back replacing another over the hill running back.

I don't agree with his grades. But I get why someone would be less than thrilled with the Falcons offseason.

I was gonna reply but you nailed it. Lots of questionable moves this off season.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:04 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I like Williamson, but he's so off here. Jackson is a significant upgrade from Michael Turner for the next two years, bank on it. I'm tired of people undervaluing an addition like Jackson. Do people know what he is capable of? The Saints just lost Butler to a torn ACL, so that grade looks even more inflated for the Saints.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail