It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [NFR]
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:10 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Is anyone else getting lots of 500 errors lately when coming to the site, posting, etc?

Post subject: Re: [NFR]
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:28 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Yes, I am aware of this problem. I'm still trying to figure it out, because I think it has something to do with the memory load on the site. I'm going to try and get this issue resolved this summer. The domain name of falcfans.com and my current plan both expire in August.

I figure I'll probably need to upgrade my hosting plan. But I'm not sure if I should stick with my current webhost (Lunarpages) or switch to a new one. I'm in the process of doing the research.

If people have suggestions, I'm all ears.

This I think also factors in why the chat room stinks as well. Basically under my current hosting plan if I use only X amount of the shared server my site is on, then all things are good. But the problem is that certain applications such as this board (which runs phpBB) and my site (which runs on WordPress) can start to consume more than X when it comes to the resources on my shared server. When the chat has more than 3 people it seems, that becomes the case. And recently, the main site has reached that treshold. I believe that more than anything is causing all the 500 errors and error messages when the site has loaded.

So the issue I'm facing is figure out if there is a way to reduce the load on the site (which I've come to discover in recent months is probably not an option), or to upgrade to a different hosting plan where that increased load won't be an issue.

It seems likely I'll have to go to Option B. But I'm not sure I want to do it with lunarpages. I've been with them for basically a decade, and I've had my ups and downs with them. But because they are basically all I know, I've been reluctant to switch in the past. But I think this summer I might as well bite the bullet and make the switch.

So now I'm just shopping around to find what is the best deal.

Another issue I'm facing is that there are certain changes I want to make to the site in the near future in the sort of content the site offers. But I'm not quite sure of how exactly to implement those changes, and what sort of hosting package it would require.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:47 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

You might consider migrating the site to something like a Google+ community where you can have the forums, blog, chat, and even video chat... All for free. I did that with my gaming guild and couldn't be more happy. I get notifications on my phone whenever there are new posts, we maintain a calendar of events, etc. Plus, you have a better chance of drawing more people to the community. Just some food for thought.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:45 pm 

I'm curious if people are still getting these errors today. I think I figured out the problem. I had too many plug-ins for the main site, one that was tracking stats and another for sharing on twitter and the like, and I simply deactivated and deleted them. I know I haven't been having that many errors in recent weeks. But I'm curious to know if others still are having issues?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:50 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I have not seen any issues over the past week or two.