It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NFS?
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:27 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

I am ashamed to admit it, but I didn't know there was such a thing as the NFS..

http://www.thefootballeducator.com/comb ... -scouting/

"
There are upwards of 10,000 draft eligible players at every level of collegiate football each season. Of course less than 10% are even queried from that group as potential draft prospects and of that number the overall percentage is reduced to about 3.5% (350 players). In the midst of all the names, numbers, heights, weights and speeds, someone has the daunting task of identifying who the clubs should set their sights on as scouts head out in the fall. Enter NFS."

"Led by Executive Director Jeff Foster, National Football Scouting, Inc. (NFS) has become the premier scouting agency in all of professional football. Theirs is the task of “whittling” down the “wanna be’s” from the legitimate prospects.

It’s usually a debate when new front office management comes into a club as to whether they should maintain membership or go independent. The recent influence of the New England Patriots in Kansas City and Atlanta, as well as Denver, has taken three former steadfast members out of NFS."

"By the time the Saints actually drafted Vaccaro with the 15th overall pick in last month's NFL draft, they had official reports from seven different sources in their file on him - from Reiprish, Baugh and Lucas, from the National Football Scouting service that the Saints and 20 other NFL teams use, from secondary coach Wesley McGriff, from assistant secondary coach Andre Curtis and from defensive coordinator Rob Ryan - plus the opinions of Loomis and Payton, among others."

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/20 ... _deta.html

so, I don't get it. There is a service we used to use in 2006, the NFS which helps breakdown the incoming rookie class. The Stains use this service, as well as others. What is the benefit of NOT using NFS? Saving $$? Seems like it would be a good idea to get as much info as possible, but I am wierd that way.. :ninja:

Post subject: Re: NFS?
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:52 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Perhaps they felt that their reports were not accurate. Why pay for something if it's wrong?

Post subject: Re: NFS?
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:34 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

There are 2 main scouting services, National and BLESTO. The Falcons were a part of Blesto as of 2008 as far as 5 minutes of Google Research could come up with. I don't know if that remains the case. But the money paid is pretty high annually. I saw figures between $75,000 and over $100,000 paid for this "whittling down" process.

So it's possible that the Falcons left National just to join BLESTO, which basically split the majority of the league. There are teams like the Patriots that belong to neither and handle everything in-house.

Profile E-mail