It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: out of the dog house, into the dog pound!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:00 am 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5047
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... nt_gr.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Free agent cornerback Brent Grimes enjoyed his visit with the Cleveland Browns and is expected to start narrowing his choices in the next few days, a league source said.

Grimes, 29, tore his Achilles tendon in Atlanta's opener last season and spent the year on injured reserve. The Falcons, who hope to re-sign him, paid him $10.2 million in 2012 after designating him as a franchise player.

While in Berea, Grimes visited with defensive coordinator Ray Horton and coach Rob Chudzinski, among others. Grimes was in Miami on Friday to talk to the Dolphins.

"Brent enjoyed spending time with the head coach and defensive coordinator," the source said. "He came away impressed with their overall plan for the 2013 season and beyond." Miko Grimes, the often vocal spouse agreed. "They know how to treat my boo" she responded on Twitter. :wink:

Atlanta coach Mike Smith said at last month's Scouting Combine in Indianapolis that Grimes' recovery was "progressing very well."

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: out of the dog house, into the dog pound!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:38 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:15 pm
Posts: 4320
I so want to make a female dog reference about Cleveland and Miko.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: out of the dog house, into the dog pound!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:48 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 26042
Location: North Carolina
How quickly Mike Nolan changed his tune. :roll:

I guess now I'll hope Falcons either swoop in at last minute or they can get Winfield on a cheap one-year deal.

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: out of the dog house, into the dog pound!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:41 pm 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5047
Pudge wrote:
How quickly Mike Nolan changed his tune. :roll:

I guess now I'll hope Falcons either swoop in at last minute or they can get Winfield on a cheap one-year deal.




Mike Smith and TD public statement to follow:

" unfortunately, we were unable to come to agreeable terms with Brent Grimes....While Brent has been an integral part of or defensive backfield, we have decided it is in our best interests to move on. Rest assured, we are working hard to make sure we have the best options available at every position. we wish Brent Grimes the best of luck with the (fill in new teams name here ). "

behind closed doors at Flowery Branch " dont let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya! "

Winners never quit and quitters never win.

Vince Lombardi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

:mrgreen:

Flame On! :lol:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: out of the dog house, into the dog pound!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:05 pm 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5047
Report: Bucs, Dolphins interested in Grimes
ProFootballTalk.com has been told that the Bucs and Dolphins are interested in free agent CB Brent Grimes.
The Bucs are reportedly "talking" with Grimes, who is serving as a backup plan to the sputtering Darrelle Revis trade. The Dolphins, meanwhile, have two glaring holes at both corner positions after trading away Vontae Davis last season and letting free agent Sean Smith walk last week. Both teams need to be wary of Grimes' health as he is just six months removed from an Achilles' rupture. Lions RB Mikel Leshoure needed more than a year of rehab before returning to the field.
Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com Mar 19 - 7:57 AM

Okay, Im telling you guys: something ain't quite right here! Looking around, who is a better option then Grimes? I think MAYBE, maybe one or possibly two guys who are still available in FA right nowthat could play at Brents level ( when healthy). All reports seem to say he is healthy.

I know it's only been five years in, but I dont see Smitty and TD making Patriot type moves. Then tend to rely on guys who know the system, who put in the work and are known entities in the locker room. Barring any bad blood, it makes absolutely no sense to be waiting this out like it's going down. IF there wasn't anything wrong here, why let him test the market?

If he walks, Im going to believe that something went down that we are not privy too. Maybe it;s not exactly like Dan Parr and all the other guys said, but Im not buying that they believe McClain and Owens are ready to take that next step. We simply must have an adequate CB back there opposite Samuels. There is not one CB we could take with pick 30 that can fill that role in this draft: and I think it's abundantly clear were going to pick a DE there.

Now maybe all this is manufactured fanstasy, and if the Falcons and BG get a deal hammered out pretty soon, then I will hapilly admit I was completely wrong. But something just doesn't seem right here, and my gut is telling me there might be some hard feelings between the two. Maybe also some leftover bad feelings about getting the franshise tag last year, too.

I guess we will see........ :ninja:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: out of the dog house, into the dog pound!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:07 pm 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5047
the more I think about this, the more I think were making the switch to a 3-4. So w/Abraham & Vance Walker gone, #Falcons have lost No. 1 and No. 3 on their D-line in sacks, a total of 13 out of 29! If we were really going to stay in the 4-3, dont you keep Abe,Grimes and VW? Do you let all three walk?

Maybe he thinks T Rob could be a rotational DT and we pick up another DT in the draft? Bring in Winfield as a stopgap, and pick up a developmental player ( like Grimes was ) in the later rounds?
It's a thought.... :?

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: out of the dog house, into the dog pound!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:42 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:15 pm
Posts: 4320
I agree Fun Gus, something's not right. However, I'm inclined to believe that the, "not right," is in Miko and Brent's heads. Miko said, "they didn't give him 10 million last year because they like him, they did it to keep anyone else from getting him." Miko and Brent are delusional. And you know what, I hope he leaves. I hope that he gets a huge contract somewhere else. I'll take the comp pick in a heartbeat.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: out of the dog house, into the dog pound!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:40 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 26042
Location: North Carolina
fun gus wrote:
the more I think about this, the more I think were making the switch to a 3-4. So w/Abraham & Vance Walker gone, #Falcons have lost No. 1 and No. 3 on their D-line in sacks, a total of 13 out of 29! If we were really going to stay in the 4-3, dont you keep Abe,Grimes and VW? Do you let all three walk?

Maybe he thinks T Rob could be a rotational DT and we pick up another DT in the draft? Bring in Winfield as a stopgap, and pick up a developmental player ( like Grimes was ) in the later rounds?
It's a thought.... :?

I'm sorry its a fairly ludicrous thought if you ask me. There isn't a single scrap of evidence that suggests the Falcons scheme is going to be any different. Not a single peep out of Flowery Branch. Not a single addition that would indicate it as such. The only "evidence" is Mike Nolan is "by nature" a 3-4 guy so he must want to shift to that scheme. Exhibit B is the Falcons cutting Abraham, it must mean they are switching schemes.

But what people don't realize is that Nolan's "nature" didn't force a switch last year and it won't force one this year. Mike Smith hired Nolan because of his nature but not to change schemes, but to incorporate more multiplicity and variance in the highly conservative 4-3 they ran under VanGorder.

Cutting Abe is not a signal for changing schemes, but a signal this team is trying to get younger on D and cut salary.

RobertAP wrote:
I agree Fun Gus, something's not right. However, I'm inclined to believe that the, "not right," is in Miko and Brent's heads. Miko said, "they didn't give him 10 million last year because they like him, they did it to keep anyone else from getting him." Miko and Brent are delusional. And you know what, I hope he leaves. I hope that he gets a huge contract somewhere else. I'll take the comp pick in a heartbeat.

Why are they delusional? If the team wanted him, why didn't they lock him up long term?

And getting a 3rd round pick back for Grimes as a comp pick?...

Brent Grimes > Lamar Holmes
Brent Grimes > Akeem Dent
Brent Grimes > Corey Peters
Brent Grimes > Mike Johnson
Brent Grimes > Chris Owens
Brent Grimes > Chevis Jackson
Brent Grimes > Harry Douglas
Brent Grimes > Thomas DeCoud
Brent Grimes > Laurent Robinson
Brent Grimes > Jerious Norwood
Brent Grimes > Jordan Beck

Shall I continue?...

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: out of the dog house, into the dog pound!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:22 am 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5047
Pudge wrote:
Why are they delusional? If the team wanted him, why didn't they lock him up long term?


okay, I'll bite.

Only three reasons they didn't 'want' him.

1:bad blood.
2:worried about reinjury/health
3:they have a better option

which makes the most sense? and, it's not $$: as you've said they could have locked him into a 3 year contract last season, if they wanted to.

the more this plays out, the more the 'rumors' of him sitting, and then pouting and not checking into Flowery Branch, etc, look less like 'rumors' and more like 'possibilities'.

so then why bother franchising him last year? Well, could be because they knew there was bad blood, and didn't want him to go to a division rival and play against us. :?:

again: IF he sat himself, then GTFO. It sure looks like that is the message being sent here to me.

your milage may vary

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: out of the dog house, into the dog pound!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:35 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:59 pm
Posts: 1160
Location: San Diego, CA
Pudge wrote:
Brent Grimes > Jerious Norwood

Shall I continue?...


Pudge leave Jerious "Knees to Chest" Norwood out of this, even though his production doesnt merit it, I will always have a soft spot for him :lol: .

In all seriousness man our 3rd round drafting has been horrible. Decoud is the only major contributer that is worth a damn on that list. Maybe you can count Peters, but you could have gotten Geno Atkins later in that same draft. TD is a good GM and I am glad he is here but man that list of 3rd rounders is brutal :shock: .

_________________
The Young Gunner


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: out of the dog house, into the dog pound!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:55 pm 
Offline
Playmaker
Playmaker

Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:23 pm
Posts: 278
I hate to use the Rush term, but MegaDittos to Pudge's reply. :)

Honestly the more I think about it, the more I think the Falcon's may be moving to something like the Colts did years ago. When the Colts fired Fangio and then Mora, Polian wanted to move to a simpler 4-3. It was both cheaper and easier to learn, so they could use young draftees to play the defense.

I have no idea what defense they are going to use whether it is a 2-1-8, 1-3-7, or a 6-3-2. My guess is it will be the same 4-3 hybrid that we saw last year. Personally, I can't read Nolan's mind. I don't know what he is thinking at this point in time. He has coached both the 4-3 and 3-4. Maybe he has other ideas in mind like more hybrid or nickel.

Wow, the Falcons using more big nickel. I can't imagine that, since they only talked about it all of last season. You say that is crazy talk. The Falcons don't have the personnel to run the big nickel. Wait, they don't have the guys to run a 3-4, but that doesn't stop the rumor mill.

The only thing I have gotten from the off-season is that the Falcons will probably use most of the draft on defense. I assume (and it is not a stretch) that Nolan, TD and Smith are sitting down and reviewing the current personnel and what they may get in the draft to choose a course of action. My only disappointment so far is if they are going to use more Big Nic then I would have liked to have seen a move for Adrian Wilson.


As for trading Grimes for a comp pick, I can't imagine. Can someone show me a draft where TD found a diamond in his mining pan instead of cubic zirconia after the third round? Plus, no one knows if we even get a 3 for Grimes. It may be a 4 or a 5.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: out of the dog house, into the dog pound!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:28 pm 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5047
OK, so I've been thinking this through. Basically, TD needs to 'hit' on his first 2 picks, they need to be immediate starters.

Seeing as at 'this time' were letting go of Grimes, Abe and Walker, here's what I would do.

I would restructure Matt's contract NOW, so we can free up some more cap $$.

with our first pick, we simply have to go DE at 30. Weve discussed this at length..

Now with our second pick, I get this guy:

Darius Slay, CB, Mississippi State
Height: 6-0. Weight: 192.
40 Time: 4.36.
Projected Round (2013): 2-3.
3/9/13: While Johnthan Banks has received the majority of the attention, Slay had a strong senior season and is a good prospect in his own right. He recorded five interceptions, 40 tackles and six passes broken up this year. Slay held up well when teams stayed away from Banks and Slay showed some man-coverage ability. He had 24 tackles, an interception and four passes defensed in 2011.

Slay was excellent at the Combine. He blazed a fast 40 time and looked good in the field drills.

I believe he will be there for us.

I know people are going to go nuts because we didn't do anything at RG or TE, but those will have to be later round drafts. Hopefully one of the TE we have besides TG will show something this year.

Then we should have enough $$ to sign a FA DE on the cheap a little later. I feel this gives us our 'best chance'. :ninja:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: out of the dog house, into the dog pound!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:41 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 26042
Location: North Carolina
fun gus wrote:
Pudge wrote:
Why are they delusional? If the team wanted him, why didn't they lock him up long term?


okay, I'll bite.

Only three reasons they didn't 'want' him.

1:bad blood.
2:worried about reinjury/health
3:they have a better option

which makes the most sense? and, it's not $$: as you've said they could have locked him into a 3 year contract last season, if they wanted to.

:roll:

Did you not read the PFW report last year?

For the 14th time, while you focused entirely on Grimes "sitting", you COMPLETELY MISSED the entire point of that article, which the author clarified on twitter:

ITS ONLY EVER BEEN ABOUT MONEY!

The article basically said the Falcons weren't expected to resign Grimes because he would be too expensive. But you interpreted it to be the Falcons wouldn't resign Grimes because he was a quitter.

Just read what is on the page, stop searching for hidden meanings:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/0 ... out-grimes

https://twitter.com/TheDan_Parr/status/ ... 8236218368

fun gus wrote:
so then why bother franchising him last year? Well, could be because they knew there was bad blood, and didn't want him to go to a division rival and play against us. :?:

again: IF he sat himself, then GTFO. It sure looks like that is the message being sent here to me.

your milage may vary

The meaning behind it is that the Falcons value Grimes at X, his camp values him at z, and unfortunately for all parties involved they cannot meet at Y.

Is there bad blood, of course. The Falcons tagged him!

Why did they do it? For the same reason some odd 30-50% of players that have been tagged over the past 5-7 years got tagged and NEVER got long-term deals from their teams. Teams want to keep a player at a relative bargain. Instead of guaranteeing Grimes $20-25M over the next 3+ years, the Falcons can just guarantee $10M for 1 year, essentially keeping a guy at half price, and prevent a guy from getting his max elsewhere.

This is Why players HAAAAAAATE the franchise tag. The only thing is that over the years, players have learned to not be as vocal about it because it doesn't ever lead anywhere. Which is exactly what BG has done, the only difference being that we know have social media where its much easier for "the periphery" to vent about these things.

And who gives a hoot what "the periphery" has to say? When a Miko Grimes tweet is cited by Ian Rappaport, John Clayton, or the good folks at Rotoworld, KFFL, etc. then maybe, just maybe, I'll give a s***. :roll:

Spanky Ham wrote:
Plus, no one knows if we even get a 3 for Grimes. It may be a 4 or a 5.

Very true. I was just only illustrating that even if we got max value, it would probably not be worth it.

We got a 4th for Lofton's 5-yr./$27.5M deal. Sean Smith just signed for 3 yrs./$16.5M. We're talking 5th/6th at best.

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: out of the dog house, into the dog pound!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:01 pm 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5047
Pudge wrote:
Is there bad blood, of course. The Falcons tagged him!

Why did they do it? For the same reason some odd 30-50% of players that have been tagged over the past 5-7 years got tagged and NEVER got long-term deals from their teams. Teams want to keep a player at a relative bargain. Instead of guaranteeing Grimes $20-25M over the next 3+ years, the Falcons can just guarantee $10M for 1 year, essentially keeping a guy at half price, and prevent a guy from getting his max elsewhere.

This is Why players HAAAAAAATE the franchise tag. The only thing is that over the years, players have learned to not be as vocal about it because it doesn't ever lead anywhere. Which is exactly what BG has done, the only difference being that we know have social media where its much easier for "the periphery" to vent about these things.

And who gives a hoot what "the periphery" has to say? When a Miko Grimes tweet is cited by Ian Rappaport, John Clayton, or the good folks at Rotoworld, KFFL, etc. then maybe, just maybe, I'll give a s***. :roll: .


well, first Im quite sure the Falcons FO 'cares' what the periphery has to 'say' :roll:


Pudge your coming from the belief that this is ONLY about money. I am willing to admit that $$ is playing a part, but there may be other issues as well.

This is where we differ, and maybe Im completely wrong.


I still dont 'get it'. 'Splain this to me: the Falcons had a CHOICE to make last year, sign Grimes to a multi-year contract ( in which in Pudge-land he is *cough cough* getting his ) while he was coming off inury ( fact ) and possibly sat himself ( rumor ) . So they 'tagged him' gave him 10 mil + and what happened? He injured himself immediately, and the 'Grimes Camp on the 'periphery' complained about it( fact).

The percentages of tagged players who 'gets thiers' ( by Pudge's estimations 70-50% ) meaning a long term contract do not 'hate the tag' they understand the terms of the contract they signed.

So, somehow there is 'bad blood' because TD WISELY tagged a guy he was concerned would get injured again: and guess what, he got injured again. And somehow, ITS THE FALCONS WHO ARE THE BAD GUYS? :roll:

If that's the case I dont want the immature injured midget anyways. Your a grown ass man, handle your business. That means go over to Miko and take her phone away because she is not 'helping' :roll: . Tell your agent to be proactive, schedule media appearances and explain the situation. Address the 'rumors'. Tell everyone your feelings aren't hurt, your a team player, you did not sit out intentionally, and you look forward to working with the FO.

Or, you can let the woman gripe so that everyone can see it, dissapear from the last 2 playoff games with no media to speak of, and let everyone know that you are not 'gettin mine'.


Let's see how that works out for you. :roll:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: out of the dog house, into the dog pound!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:56 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:15 pm
Posts: 4320
Miko sees diamonds and dollar signs. No one is going to get Brent Grimes for what he's worth. If they want him, they're going to have to overpay for him. The Falcons did not want to overpay a CB. They certainly didn't want to overpay a CB with a torn Achilles.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: out of the dog house, into the dog pound!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:28 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 26042
Location: North Carolina
Wait why do the Falcons front office care about what Miko says? I thought their job was to evaluate football players and make Football decisions? Does Miko play football?

There aren't other issues besides money. Its always about money. It boils down to the Falcons believing he's worth $$ while Grimes camp believes he's worth $$$$. There may be other issues that are behind why the Falcons value him less, but at the end of the day it is only about that dollar.

I don't know what world you're living in, but players HATE the tag. When have you ever heard a player or agent say he was happy he got tagged? You don't have an answer BECAUSE IT HAS NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER HAPPENED! The only thing that has happened is that players/agents are far less vocal in this day and age about their enmity because it almost never leads anyway. Maybe only 1 or 2 in the past decade has a team ever rescinded a tag. Maybe only 4 or 5 times in the past decade has a Franchise player been traded. And we're talking out of well over a HUNDRED players in that span that have been tagged, i.e. over 95% of the time, yapping isn't going to do anything.

What Miko has been saying on twitter is the EXACT SAME THING that in the past players have said constantly about being tagged, and behind closed doors CONTINUE to say.

It's twitter, its meaningless. I have complained about Roddy's silly comments on twitter in the past, but do you think if I was in TD's shoes that is going to impact how much I offer on his next contract? Unless he's dogging a coach or a teammate I could really care less. All that will matter is going to be Roddy's performance on the field. Did Rashard Mendenhall's Bin Laden comments lead the Steelers to let him walk this off season? Should the Eagles have dealt Vick when his brother requested a trade via twitter? I would be highly upset if my fave football team made big decisions based off stupid twitter comments.

I'm not saying the Falcons are the bad guys, what I'm saying is from the perspective of Grimes & Co. they are. Because their tagging him, cost him anywhere between $15-$30M. And if you were in their shoes, you'd be pissed off about that too, and might find it hard to hold your tongue.

It was around the time of Roddy's holdout nearly 4 years ago when I concluded that I will NEVER fault a player for trying to get paid. Because if I was in their shoes, I would act the exact same way. And there isn't a single semi-intelligent human being that would act any differently. Anybody who suggests otherwise is either extremely naive or mentally handicapped.

I'm not married, but I've known, dated and been around enough women in my lifetime, that if/when she has something on her mind, there is very little I as a man can do to prevent her from expressing it.

Look I didn't care what Michelle Obama or Ann Romney said in the lead up to the election, because their names aren't on the ballot, nor will they ever be. Now if they had something hateful or bigoted that probably would've affected my vote. But in the case of Miko Grimes, she isn't saying anything I haven't heard DOZENS of times before by other players.

I guess my point is even if I believe Miko Grimes is his mouthpiece...so what?

All that matters is that at the end of the day, Brent Grimes is probably not going to be a Falcon any longer, and more than likely the Falcons are going to be a lesser team because of it.

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: out of the dog house, into the dog pound!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:31 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:15 pm
Posts: 4320
I think that they will be a more diverse, and ultimately a better team without Grimes. 10 million a year for a CB is too much, no matter who the CB is. Last year + Grimes != Superbowl. The Falcons don't need Grimes. The Falcons need a better front 7, and the Falcons need improvements on the offensive line. Signing Grimes for what Grimes wants would not allow the Falcons to do what they need to do.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: out of the dog house, into the dog pound!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:14 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6236
Location: Planet Claire
Believe it or not, Pudge, it isn't always about the money. It is usually about the money. Steven Jackson gave up $3 mil to come here. Brent has gone from under dog to lap dog. Curb your wife, BG.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: out of the dog house, into the dog pound!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:36 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 pm
Posts: 4660
Pudge Wrote "
Quote:

Is there bad blood, of course. The Falcons tagged him!

Why did they do it? For the same reason some odd 30-50% of players that have been tagged over the past 5-7 years got tagged and NEVER got long-term deals from their teams. Teams want to keep a player at a relative bargain. Instead of guaranteeing Grimes $20-25M over the next 3+ years, the Falcons can just guarantee $10M for 1 year, essentially keeping a guy at half price, and prevent a guy from getting his max elsewhere


I agree 100%..... Remember when Dave Archer said back about February that Grimes had stopped coming to Flowery Branch? I respect Archer because he's not a reporter he's an announcer and he's never tried to be a reporter except about the obvious.

I don't think Grimes wants to play here. Remember his size really had him struggling early in his career. Now this injury with it perhaps even just taking 1/2 inch from his jump could be a lot. I think he'll only play here if its more money, not the same, but more.

I feel let him play where he wants. I actually don't think he'll ever have another year like 2011, so I won't miss him..... I liked him while he was here; but I believe last year was the biggest payday he ever had. If he doesn't like it here then it doesn't make any since to chase him, I think he's now a big risk who is overrated in my book.

_________________
"Everything Counts"
Cyril


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: out of the dog house, into the dog pound!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:08 am 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5047
Pudge wrote:
I'm not saying the Falcons are the bad guys, ( yes, you are ) what I'm saying is from the perspective of ( Pudge, and ) Grimes & Co. they are. Because their tagging him, cost him anywhere between $15-$30M. And if you were in their shoes, you'd be pissed off about that too, and might find it hard to hold your tongue.


I'm not married, but I've known, dated and been around enough women in my lifetime, that if/when she has something on her mind, there is very little I as a man can do to prevent her from expressing it.


I guess my point is even if I believe Miko Grimes is his mouthpiece...so what?

All that matters is that at the end of the day, Brent Grimes is probably not going to be a Falcon any longer, and more than likely the Falcons are going to be a lesser team because of it.


How did they 'cost' him that $$? He was injured, and possibly being a 'b*tch'? They gave him 10 mil, and he instantly got injured! What they should have re-upped him after coming off an injury ( happened ) and maybe because he was pouting ( rumor)? I mean, it's not a 'guarded' secret. Cyril is right, this stuff has been trickling out for awhile now. They didn't 'cost' him anything. He got his biggest payday yet. The fact that he hasn't been snapped up by anyone now means he will be lucky to get 4-5 mil.

Pudge: address this please. Why no 'response' to the allegations? Where is his agent?! Why such 'hostility' apparent on social media, even if it is his wife and he cannot control her?

Sorry, Im not buying it. :snooty:

I mean c'mon man. LOOK! If you were an agent: and there's stories going round that your client sat himself, is being a diva, and has a diva wife, doesnt show up for stuff, seems aloof: you dont handle that this way. You 'get out' in front of that story (unless your reppin Elvis). I just haven't seen that. Really. So that, and coupled with the stuff that gets 'leaked' out by Archer and Co, I guess I'm just skeptical.

As far as 'controlling women' in your comments, all I will say is this: the Falcons Filter is an All Seeing Eye. It doesn't just lookfor legal 'issues', it is 'who you surround yourself with'. This is an unfortunate residue of MV7. It doesnt matter if your Ookies bong packer or Miko Grimes Agent At Large: you F*CK with the FO and you get the horns. (see Ray Edwards) .

There is something else afoot here. Guy comes undrafted from Europe, has 2 years as a ST guy, 2 decent years and 2 injured years. And he 'thinks' he is worth 6-10 mil. :roll: Now this does agree with your central premise: that there is really nothing 'personal' here, it's all about the Benji's. But......I'm just not seeing it that way.

Hopefully I am wrong, and he signs, and plays well. But if he walks, I am still going to believe there is more to this story then 'it's all about the $$'....

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Last edited by fun gus on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: out of the dog house, into the dog pound!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:37 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:59 am
Posts: 2125
Location: Deepinthehearta
Image

_________________
Fantasy League Champion 2010
Pick Em Co-Champion 2011

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: out of the dog house, into the dog pound!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:54 pm 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5047
Wease wrote:
Image


:lol: :up:

Image

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: out of the dog house, into the dog pound!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:31 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 26042
Location: North Carolina
This is One of the most ridiculous thread I've ever read. Now Grimes is overrated and not that good? :roll:

Is he a diminished player moving forward? Perhaps. But even if Grimes was 70% the player he was in 2010 and 2011, he'd still be better than Dunta Robinson, and half the corners in the NFL. How valuable is that?

There are no rumors going around that his agent needs to address. The only people that believe that BS are Falcon fans on twitter and message boards that have poor reading comprehension skills. People that don't make decisions nor influence decisions. If Grimes wasn't a team guy, would that Falcons have guaranteed him 8% of their cap space? If he wasn't a team guy would several CB needy teams like CLE, MIA, and TB be pursuing him?

His agent let's Miko address all the fans. :roll:

Really now Archer's "report" that he isn't at the team facility doing his rehab is now an indicator he isn't a team guy? How naive are you? Look this is very very common in the NFL. Some guys choose to work out/rehab on their own. Coaches may not like it, but it doesn't mean squadoosh. Ever heard of Edgerrin James?

How did the Falcons cost him $? Is that a serious question? Do you not realize that had Grimes hit the open market, he would've been competing with Cortland Finnegan and Brandon Carr for the most lucrative deals last off season? Both of them signed $50M deals. Both got deals that pay them $41M over the first 4 years of those deals. Even if Grimes got the same deal as Sean Smith (which is doubtful) of 3 yrs/$16.5M, plus the $10.3M we gave him last year that's $13M he lost. But given how the market looks, more than likely teams would only be willing to offer him an Antoine Carson level deal which is 1 yr. $2M or so. Had he been given a market deal by the Falcons or another team last year, he'd likely have gotten $25M or so in Years 1 & 2 all of which would have been guaranteed.

Don't pretend like Grimes injury suddenly makes him a bad investment. The Falcons just gave Sam Baker a $41M contract and he's been injured 4 out of last 6 yes going back to his senior year at USC.

Now Grimes was just decent in 2010 & 2011? This coming from the guy that considered him our defensive MVP midway thru 2011?

viewtopic.php?p=104274#p104274

What we have here is group of people that are twisting facts and truth to better reconcile with their current worldview that Grimes is expendable.

Asante Samuel is likely a HOFer and his 2012 wasn't as good as Grimes in 2010 OR 2011. So I don't quite buy that its not going to be hard replacing Grimes. Maybe the Falcons do, maybe they don't. We shall see. I have spent the better part of the past six months prepping for this day that the Falcons will let him walk out the door. But given this teams (lack of) success in bolstering our CB play over the years, I'm not going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: out of the dog house, into the dog pound!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:00 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:51 pm
Posts: 4906
Location: New York
How is this argument going on when Fun Gus has admitted clear biased towards Grimes. He's said it time and time again that he doesn't like him, along with still believing he boycotted the playoff game from last year. What a ridiculous thread, anyone that doesn't think Grimes is good is delusional.

_________________
Image

I'm a Devin Hester guy.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: out of the dog house, into the dog pound!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:43 pm 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5047
Emmitt wrote:
How is this argument going on when Fun Gus has admitted clear biased towards Grimes. He's said it time and time again that he doesn't like him, along with still believing he boycotted the playoff game from last year. What a ridiculous thread, anyone that doesn't think Grimes is good is delusional.


That's not really 100% true.
I was 'team Grimes' until the Giant Faisco ( tm ) :wink:

Look, I;ve been wrong before, I'll be wrong again, and I may be wrong now. But I'm telling you, this doesn't make sense. So, I admit maybe Im looking towards the negative to 'splain it. Fair enough.

Lets leave it at this: if the Falcons swoop in and sign him, then we know that I'm wrong.

If they let him walk, and he plays well for another team, and we never hear another 'peep' about him not being a team player, well then Im wrong again, and so is TD and Smitty.

If he walks, and THEN we get 'reports' that everything wasn't 'rosy' and not just because of the $$, then Im going to think Im right.

If he walks, and get's injured again for his new team, then TD (again) was wiser then all of us.

Fair enough? :ninja:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  


cron