New stupid rule

Discuss your favorite team: the Atlanta Falcons. As well as all NFL and pro football-related topics, including fantasy football.

Moderators: Capologist, dirtybirdnw, thescout

Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

New stupid rule

Postby Pudge » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:58 am

So I was looking at the GIF in Emmitt's signature showing Quizz running over Earl Thomas. My guess is that under the new rule that was passed by the competition committee that would have drawn a 15-yard penalty?
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

DaveWaz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: New stupid rule

Postby DaveWaz » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:06 pm

This rule is beyond stupid. It's gonna change the game in a huge way forever. Football as we know it is dying. The owners will keep moving to take contact out to avoid litigation and to push for an 18-22 game season next collective bargaining. There are a bunch of people making rules now for the NFL who have never strapped on a helmet and it shows. Football is a violent sport, always was and always should be.
When life gives you lemons, find some salt and tequila then invite me!

takeitdown
All-Pro
All-Pro

Postby takeitdown » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:30 pm

Yeah.

I'm generally in favor of most of the safety rules, including cut backs to the knees of defenders.

But this one is ridiculous. I don't know how they're going to differentiate hard running from "head first" attempts. I guess being an upright runner won't be as big of a deal anymore.

Can't really get behind this rule...don't think there's any way to officiate it, and don't even understand how the run game is supposed to work...do you just run straight up into each other? When I ran, I had plenty of head to head collisions...it's not how you want it to happen, but if two guys are trying to be the lowest man, sometimes it's going to happen.

Emmitt
Superstar
Superstar

Postby Emmitt » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:56 pm

I don't want to go on a tirade, but it's absolutely ridiculous. The sport is violent and that won't ever change.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

samedi
All-Pro
All-Pro

Postby samedi » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:22 am

Doing that repeatedly is going to be very, very bad for Jacquizz in the long term. I'm not sure that people can control their movement to the extent that you can move the team back 15 yards, but they have to coach that out of the sport. Yes, it's a violent game, but minimizing the impact on the head and neck makes it a much safer game.

I don't know how they are going to judge intent at game speeds, though, which is going to lead to some silly uses of this penalty.

Wease
Superstar
Superstar

Postby Wease » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:03 pm

Not stupid, not hard. See what you hit, hit what you see.
Fantasy League Champion 2010
Pick Em Co-Champion 2011

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

Yulin
All-Pro
All-Pro

Postby Yulin » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:26 pm

While I'm not against the rule in principle, I'm *really* dubious that the already maligned officials aren't going to be called into quesiton for having to deal with yet another judgement call.
~Yulin

Pudge

Postby Pudge » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:25 pm

Yulin wrote:While I'm not against the rule in principle, I'm *really* dubious that the already maligned officials aren't going to be called into quesiton for having to deal with yet another judgement call.

I think this is my biggest problem with most of the new safety rules. They really put the refs in really tough spots making them make these split second judgment calls. At least have these types of penalties become challengable.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

Return to “The Huddle”