It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: *Chirp* *Chirp*
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:43 am 

It's all fine and well that Atlanta wanted to focus on it's players and not wade into free agency when Monopoly money is being used to sign players. But, I'm getting a little restless at this point. A team that had some decent sized holes to fill coming into this off season has managed to retain key players but opened up 3 new major holes with Robinson, Abraham, and Turner being handed their walking papers (granted Turner was the least impact).

Now we are seeing the Niners and Seahawks make major improvements in areas they needed to improve upon. We are also seeing teams like Denver making the tweaks they needed to get better. Then there's the Falcon's not doing a whole hell of a lot.

I know that patience is key and by waiting it is less likely that the Falcons will get roped into a massive overpriced contract. But, at the same time, it seems like Dimitroff and the powers that be are happy with the roster overall which concerns me greatly. Getting back Gonzalez while cutting 3 players that had significant roles while not addressing holes already in the roster does not equal a Super Bowl run.

Post subject: Re: *Chirp* *Chirp*
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:06 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

According to Profootballcentral.com the Falcons are very interested in CB Sean Smith. The only other contender they list are the Packers.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:36 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Guess not 3 years for 18 mill with the Chiefs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:24 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

The Mattural wrote:
Guess not 3 years for 18 mill with the Chiefs

and the wailing banshee cry you hear all over the ATL right now is Miko Grimes suddenly realizing that a 30 year old small CB coming off an Achilles injury is not going to command anywhere near this kinda dough.

Start packin' or start getting cheaper, because Sean Smith just set the market. 6 million a year is NOT going to happen in Grimetime. :dance:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:04 pm 

It does make me happy he held out instead of signing last year. We may get Grimey back on the cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:19 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I agree, there patience is probably more due to contentment with the roster.

But you have to be smart. While I'd love to go out and get players like Devin Aromashodu, Philip Wheeler, and a bunch of players that could make small improvements to the team, when you have a finite amount of cap space, you have to be more discerning with how you spend your money.

So you have to basically prioritize where you're going to spend your money.

RB? Okay, but it's not a great group of RBs. And the best player is Ahmad Bradshaw, and he's not going to be healthy till June at the earliest. And you don't want to have your new starting RB having to learn a brand new offense and fit in with a brand new team and have to sit out all of OTAs. We wind up Steven Jackson, which is a move I don't love, but it makes sense. It doesn't fix the problem, but it plugs the hole for at least a year, so it's $ well spent.

TE? Well, we got Tony back. So that's that.

DE? Nobody that really moves the needle. Michael Bennett is probably the best option, but he's not going to "fix" your pass rush. You might as well just wait until the draft at that point.

CB? Despite what fun gus might think/say, Grimes is the best player on the market at CB. Aqib Talib is a knucklehead, and Sean Smith is basically a bigger, softer version of Dunta. Winfield, Woodson were at one points really good corners. But the best you can hope for is 1 yr. fix. And I stress, this might be the last year that Asante is good. And if it is, then that means you now need TWO cornerbacks in 2014 if you sign one of those older guys.

Unless you think one of these players is really going to make a world of difference on your team, then there's no reason to relaly jump into the fray.

Profile E-mail