weird question..

Discuss your favorite team: the Atlanta Falcons. As well as all NFL and pro football-related topics, including fantasy football.

Moderators: Capologist, dirtybirdnw, thescout

fun gus
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

weird question..

Postby fun gus » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:59 pm

so, around 1:15pm today I was cruising up 85 past the airport, and imagine my shock at seeing this bad boy landing. It was this plane: I am absolutely certain.

my question is why? Why use the team charter in the offseason? I mean if you need to shuttle scouts and personell around, wouldn't it make more sense to charter a smaller plane or go first class commercial? :shock:
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"

The Mattural
Superstar
Superstar

Re: weird question..

Postby The Mattural » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:18 pm

Maybe they have sent everyone down here to recruit Gonzo?
The Young Gunner

RobertAP
Superstar
Superstar

Postby RobertAP » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:37 am

Maybe the airline that owns the plane uses it for other things during the off-season. Would seem kinda silly to park an airplane for 8 months a year.

fun gus
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Postby fun gus » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:43 am

RobertAP wrote:Maybe the airline that owns the plane uses it for other things during the off-season. Would seem kinda silly to park an airplane for 8 months a year.

or maybe maintenance? it would seem odd to use a plane with a giant Eagle head on it for running errands.. :?:

Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Postby Pudge » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:34 pm

RobertAP wrote:Maybe the airline that owns the plane uses it for other things during the off-season. Would seem kinda silly to park an airplane for 8 months a year.

Yeah, the more I think of it, the more that sounds right. I know if you let a car sit for 8 months, the chances it starts up are about -20%. Considering a jet airplane is probably a bit more advanced set of machinery, I imagine it's a risk that is not worth taking.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

backnblack
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby backnblack » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:27 pm

Pudge wrote:

Yeah, the more I think of it, the more that sounds right. I know if you let a car sit for 8 months, the chances it starts up are about -20%. Considering a jet airplane is probably a bit more advanced set of machinery, I imagine it's a risk that is not worth taking.

Come on! What's the worst thing that happens? Michael Vick and the entire Eagles org die in a massive fireball. Is that so bad?

fun gus
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Postby fun gus » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:10 pm

Pudge wrote:

but the liability alone is crazy. I get 'maintenance; but these things are flight recorded for a certain amount of flight 'hours'. You dont fly a thing like this into ATL to keep her 'purring', IMO

Might be totally off base :ninja:

RobertAP
Superstar
Superstar

Postby RobertAP » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:07 pm

The destination isn't important. They keep the planes flying for two reasons, one is the reason Pudge cited, if you let the plane sit, then it is going to fall into a state of disrepair. The second reason, because the plane will make more money in the air than it will on the ground. This is the same principle behind the Georgia Dome. It would be pretty stupid to let that huge building do nothing for 8 months out of the year. Instead, they have other events there that have absolutely nothing to do with football. The Falcons Logo is still plastered all over the place, but the dome is used for other purposes.

Return to “The Huddle”