It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FA's
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:43 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I've read interest from us in the following three FA's the last two days...

S.Jackson, Umenyiora and Freeney. Jackson if at a very reasonble price and contract length. He'd be ready to run through a brick wall to play for a contender, but at age 30 I wouldn't want more than a team friendly 3 year or less deal. And I'd certainly pick Osi over Freeney.

Thoughts? We do usually try to be sly and find a nice FA each year.

Post subject: Re: FA's
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:25 pm 

I'd take Jackson if he comes at a 2-Year ohhh $6 million tag. I would consider him an upgrade over Turner; although, he is at the point of his career where the wheels are falling off slowly.

Atlanta could even parlay Jackson with a 4th round RB that they could develop along side him and Quizz. The odd man out would be Snelling but if Atlanta did all of the above I'd be okay with that.

It's pretty clear that Turner is done.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:30 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

A lot of these "connections" seem to assume that the Falcons are looking to make the move that "gets them over the hump" as if they are treating 2013 as a "let's get the band back together one more time, and give it one more go."

I haven't heard much out of Flowery Branch that suggests that is the case, but it'll be interesting. But the problem with that theory is that it probably means besides Turner, nobody else gets cut. Dunta stays, maybe Jerry goes, but nobody that is going to free up a bunch of space (Abe, Babs, etc.) so what money are the Falcons going to have to spend to get some of these guys?

And if that is the case, then it makes me starting buying into the theory that Arthur Blank sticking his nose where it doesn't belong. Perhaps maybe the folks in Flowery Branch know that they need to win a SB sooner rather than later so Arthur can lock down his stadium deal, so they are only thinking ahead to 2013 and slightly 2014, ignoring the rest when it comes to their job security/future outlook.

But I guess to have that belief, you also sort of have to believe also that thinking short-term is a bad idea. I personally don't like it because it means there's a few drops of desperation swirling in the pool, and that rarely leads to good results. But I won't be complaining too much if the Falcons find themselves hosting an NFC CHampionship game next year.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:39 am 
Superstar
Superstar

If Tony stays why couldn't we be in it again.?? Turner gone is a good thing, I think regardless of what it means next year Abe should go to. His play might hold-up but I
can't image his body having more than 7 games without fairly major issues.

Abe has to make it official soon!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:11 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Yeah I'm not a fan of spending big in FA, b/c you should build via the draft. Thats the only way to be consistently good. But our history with TD suggests he'll go pinpoint at least one guy a year that he thinks is good value for a position of need. The two that probably come to mind first and foremost are would be either DE or RB. I'm def not a fan of FA RB's, but Jackson had more tread on his tires last yr than I wanted to give him credit for. He looked pretty strong at years end, and their oline has annually been one of the worst in the league. He turned down $7m/yr from the Rams, and I assume its b/c he would potentially take less money to play for a contender. Caveat here is that you can find a servicable to good rb in the draft at a cheap price (2nd rounder or later), with Lattimore being a sneaky pick (although I read you have to basically take him and figure that he wouldn't play in 2013, which to me takes him off our board). Now that we're a passing offense it helps this need.

Freeney on the other hand to me is too worn down, he'd be too situational imo. The Colts didn't even make him a lowball offer. Osi would be better imo, but not at some mega contract obviously. His lack of run support does concern me fwiw.

Only other FA I would consider, but not as high a priority as the two above would be Levitre.