It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fire Ray Hamilton
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:28 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I have seen countless position coaches get the axe when their respective position groups underperform, yet hamilton sticks around even though he has yet to develop any pass rushers on our team during his tenure. Our two best pass rushers (Abe and Babs) were hold overs from a previous regime. Kroy has come into his own as a player but to be honest he is what he is and will probably never be a consistent 8 sacks a year guy. He want able to get anything out of Jamaal Anderson who was better with the Colts and the Bengals. Sidbury just vanished and seemed like he has all the physical tools in the world to be a disruptive pass rusher and he cant make it on to the field. I will give him a pass on Ray Edwards, since he was obviously a head case and was just a poor signing. It just seems that we are not developing our your defensive line players at all. So maybe its time for a change in philosphy.

Post subject: Re: Fire Ray Hamilton
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:51 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I don't know why people's automatic reaction is to fire the position coach.

Talent is the issue. Biermann is a 5th round pick. Sidbury was a 4th round pick that probably should have been a 6th round pick. Peters was a 3rd round pick that should have been a 5th round pick. Jamaal Anderson hasn't exactly improved since leaving Atlanta.

Remember how people wanted to blame George Stewart for all of the Falcons problems at WR during the Mora regime? Well, guess what he went to Minnesota and players like Sidney Rice, Percy Harvin blossomed under him. The problem wasn't Stewart. The problem was the QB was holding them back.

If/when the Falcons start to build their defense with 1st and 2nd round picks rather than 3rd, 4th, and 5th round picks, you'll see dramatically improved results.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:41 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I am just saying why is he not held to the same standard as, the DB coach or the O-line coach people under performed and they were fired. I know we dont have A1 talent but the players we have drafted and brought in have not gotten any better.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:58 pm 

But did the OL coach (Boudreau) under perform? Or was he just scapegoated for the bad O-line last year?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:09 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
But did the OL coach (Boudreau) under perform? Or was he just scapegoated for the bad O-line last year?

Pretty much the same OL besides Konz and they looked a lot better in pass protection than they did last year.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:20 pm 

Did they? Sure, in the Giants game they did. And against the 49ers they did. But before then, they didn't.

But for a moment, I'll agree with you. It would appear Pat Hill's "teaching" coalesced into a better year-end performance in terms of pass protection.

BUt the run blocking was garbage. They were 32nd in short-yardage this year. And the gap between us and the 31st ranked team was about as big as the gap between the 1st and 15th ranked teams.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

So was that a worthwhile move? Did we beat Seattle because of Hill, or was it because Chris Clemons didn't play? Are you confident that if Clemons had suited up in that game, the Falcons would have won anyway? I certainly am not.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:07 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The run blocking was garbage I will give you that. I just think that its time for a different voice. I know the head coach and defensive coordinator listen to Ray Hamilton when discussing packages and what not and maybe he has his favorites and thats why they get the playing time Peria over Walker and Robertson or Bierman and Mathews over Sidbury and Mass.

At first I felt like that about Seattle but affter watching how we blocked Ahmad Brooks, Justin Smith, and Aldon Smith I think that had Chris Clemons played we still would have won that game. even though Bruce Irvin was a liabilty against the run he is still a helluva pass rusher.