It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ruskell a goner?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:21 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Pro Football Talk wrote:
RUSKELL SUDDENLY A SEATTLE FRONTRUNNER?
Word out of Seattle is that the brain trust responsible for the search for a new president of football operations could be seriously considering a candidate who had not previously been on the radar screen.

Falcons assistant G.M. Tim Ruskell.

We're hearing that the search committee is now getting some advice from Falcons G.M. Rich McKay, and that McKay is pushing Ruskell hard for the job.

Of course, this causes some to wonder why, if Ruskell is so good, McKay is trying to nudge him out of the nest. Sure, things can get a little uncomfortable after the No. 2 has been under consideration for a promotion elsewhere for a couple of years and the No. 2 guy begins to think he's stagnating (e.g., Ozzie Newsome and Phil Savage), but if there was a looming problem when both McKay and Ruskell were working in Tampa, why would McKay have brought him to Atlanta?

Maybe McKay is genuinely selfless, or perhaps McKay (a below-the-radar candidate for the Commissioner's gig once Tagliabue retires) is trying to ensure that other teams will be in good hands if/when he ascends to the league's top job.

Either way, look for Ruskell's name to surface soon among a list that continues to get longer -- and also look for Ruskell to be one of the last men standing for the job.

I'm not sure, but I don't think Ruskell even interview for the 49ers gig. I think he was mentioned as a candidate there and in Cleveland this past off-season, but on John York's nationwide interviewing tour, I don't think Ruskell ever sat down for an interview.

I'm surprised Ruskell hasn't been getting more bites. He has to be one of the top candidates in the league. I can see how many would put a guy like Savage ahead of him, but I can't think of too many other GM candidates that would be higher than Ruskell aroudn the league. According to some sources, only three years ago (spring 2002), it looked like Ruskell would be the GM in the Atlanta, since the team didn't look like we were going to get McKay.

He would mark the 2nd "disciple" of McKay to get a GM gig. The first is Jerry Angelo, in Chicago. And maybe it's Angelo which is hurting Ruskell's chances. Angelo is not well-received on a leaguewide basis. Whether that's personality or just competence, but most don't think Angelo is doing a great job in Chicago.

I put no credence in the fraying work relationship of Ruskell and McKay. They are long-time friends, having known each other since 1975.

If Ruskell departs, then I think the probably replacements are John Idzik or Ruston Webster. Idzik serves as a semi-Asst. GM behind Rod Graves in Arizona. He was the Asst. GM in Tampa Bay for a few years under McKay. Webster is the director of college scouting for the Bucs currently, and is a long-term McKay associate. If not Webster, then maybe Tampa's pro personnel guy Mark Dominik. Dominik's tenure in TB wasn't as long as Websters, and if he was hired, it would likely mean that Ron Hill is going to be right out the door after him. Another possibility of course is promotion from within, which would likely be Phil Emery, the current Dir. of College Scouting here. This will only be his 2nd year in Atlanta, and working with McKay, but its a possibility worth mentioning.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:59 pm 

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/thiel/213 ... ell22.html

More on Ruskell. I think if Ruskell doesn't accept the Seattle gig, it will mean that there wasn't as much power in his position as he had hoped. I think Ruskell wants to be a top guy, but in Seattle they have a lot of voices in Bob Ferguson (GM), Holmgren, Reinfeldt (who is the temporary cap guy), and Tod Leiwecke (CEO). Ruskell will likely get the handle of president, but unlike our president (McKay), he's unlikely to be the main voice when it comes to personnel decisions.

Considering the clusterf**k that is the Seahawks front office, now I'm thinking Ruskell will reamin in Atlanta for at least one more year.

Teams like New England, New Orleans, NY Giants, NY Jets, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Chicago, Detroit, and Washington are all possible destinations for Ruskell next year. I think any # of those teams could have openings in their front offices come next off-season.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Ruskell in Seattle
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:02 pm 

CBS SportsLine is reporting that Ruskell has agreed to terms with the Seahawks.

Well I'm happy to see him getting an opportunity to lead a team. They fired Bob Ferguson, their GM, so that indicates Ruskell will have a lot of power in the organization, most likely overseeing the entire personnel dept. It will be interesting to see how the dynamics of him and Mike Holmgren work out. I really think that 2005 will be Holmgren's last in Seattle. Unless they make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs, I really don't see why ownership should keep him around. He's not a bad coach, but one could argue that he lived much off having arguably 2 of the best players of the 90s on his roster in Favre and Reggie White. It's the same argument that Reeves bashers made during his tenure here, that he lived off having guys like Elway on his team more than they benefited from his presence.

We'll see how Seattle shapes up. It looks like they'll manage to keep their big 3 FAs, in Hasselbeck, Jones, and Alexander (now wearing the Franchise tag). The question will be however can they retain other key gusy like Chike Okeafor and Ken Lucas. It will be a tough off-season for Ruskell.

It will be interesting to see if he brings along a few people from our front office to help him out.

Profile E-mail