It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Douglas is the most underappreciated WR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:05 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

He got the chance to shine with his late-game catch. Although missing that deep ball earlier really hurt.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2013/0 ... d-receiver

Who is the Falcons' most underappreciated receiver?

Posted Jan. 11, 2013 @ 11:06 p.m. ET
By Dan Parr

The Falcons believe Harry Douglas is sometimes the forgotten man in their receiving corps. Douglas, the smallest of Atlanta’s wide receivers, plays in the shadow of WRs Julio Jones and Roddy White and TE Tony Gonzalez — three of the top players at their respective positions.

However, White recently told PFW there is much more to Douglas than meets the eye.

“A lot of people don’t know what Harry can do because he doesn’t go out there and catch five, six, seven balls a game, but he’s the kind of guy that really makes us go as a team,” White said. “He makes us practice and do everything that we’re supposed to be doing because he goes out there and practices so hard. He kind of gets the bigger guys going.

“He’s kind of like the little spark. He’s kind of like the little engine that makes the train get on the tracks and once it starts moving it’s gone.”

Douglas, a fourth-year player, made 38 catches for 396 yards in the regular season, and he scored his only touchdown of the season in Atlanta’s Week 17 loss to the Buccaneers. He also returned punts in that game, which is a job typically handled by Dominique Franks, but special-teams coordinator Keith Armstrong said this week that there is a chance Douglas will return punts again Sunday in the Falcons’ divisional-round playoff game vs. the Seahawks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Douglas is the most underappreciated WR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:39 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I was thinking about how he seems like the most under utylized player on the team. Finally, they put him back on punts. Before the game he is often the guy in the center of the team huddle hyping the team. and I thought it interesting that when the team all huddled up before the game Ryan was the outer most person and just had a perfunctory hand on the shoulder of the player by him impatiently trying to pull away. Juxtapise that to Brees in the middle of team huddles as "one of the boys." Very different styles. Matt a bit Spock-like.

But back to HD, he seems to make plays when given the chance. Seems he would work as a Welker type player. How many catches does he have this year? Seems he never gets more than 2 or 3 per game max.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:07 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

He's really limited as a player. Sorry to be the voice of pessimism here, and I'm thrilled he got open on the 22 yard catch, but he doesn't get much separation, struggles with the ball coming over his shoulder, and doesn't have any of the quickness or elusiveness that typifies very god slot guys. His greatest assets seem to be that he gets overlooked and that he's a good team/attitude player.

I'd love for him to prove me wrong and massacre the 9ers nickle, but I think we win that matchup with Jones in the slot, not Harry.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:19 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Sometimes you just can't write off players during their first five years and Douglas's injury cost him too. (I know Douglas was here before Smith)

I always thought Ryan didn't trust him to throw to him, but perhaps Yesterday's catch
will change the way Douglas plays....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:30 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Douglas is not good at finding the deep ball. He also has some issues making catches consistently. Aside from that, he seems to do pretty well at everything else. Again, when Harry was #2 (while Julio was out last year) Harry had some pretty impressive performances. It's hard for him to be, "overlooked," when he's the #2 receiver.

Harry could probably start for a few teams in the NFL. Here, he's mired behind a lot of other talent. I think that if we consistently went with 3 WR sets, Harry would be more involved. But that's not our style.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:01 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Can't catch in traffic. Doesn't get enough separation for "space" passes.

I liked him a lot his rookie year, but you have to have one of those two, and he doesn't. I think without the knee injury he might have been able to be a space player. An upgrade at the 3 and 4 receiver is badly needed (the guys that are guarded by S and LB instead of corners).

I like HD as a punt returner/5th WR.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:12 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

all that matters to me is that he catches the pass thrown to him. and for the most part, he's done that. and he's proven that big moments aren't too much for him.

I'd like to see him maximize his potential and average somewhere between 5-8 catches a game, but that's not the case. Just catch what comes your way.

Profile E-mail