It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NFR: Give this man the MVP Now!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:06 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

If I controlled MVP voting, Peterson would be #1, Watt #2, and then Manning #3.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -olympics/

Adrian Peterson says he wants to qualify for the Olympics

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on December 30, 2012, 12:18 AM EST

Getty Images
Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson could be on the cusp of bringing home a lot of hardware for the remarkable season he’s put together coming off a torn ACL last year.

Peterson is among the favorites to win the most valuable player, offensive player of the year and comeback player of the year awards at season’s end. With one game to go in the regular season, Peterson has rushed for 1,898 yards and 11 touchdowns. Peterson needs 102 yards to become the seventh back in league history to reach the 2,000 yard plateau and 208 yards to catch Eric Dickerson for the single-season rushing record.

Yet Peterson may be seeking an even greater award down the road: an Olympic medal.

In an interview on In Depth with Graham Bensinger, Peterson said he wants to attempt to qualify for the 2016 Olympic Games in track. He hopes to join the likes of Bob Hayes, James Jett and Michael Bates as people able to play in the NFL and earn an Olympic medal.

Peterson said he was planning on making a run at the Olympics before he injured his knee last year. He had planned on running in a few track meets over the off-season to see how he felt running track again. Peterson said he wants to qualify for the Olympics in the 200- and 400-meter races.

“That’s a goal of mine that I want to accomplish,” Peterson said. “…Now that I’m back and refreshed, I think I’m going to give it a shot still.”

Peterson even feels he can take on Usain Bolt, the Jamaican sprinter who holds the world records in the 100- and 200-meter races.

“I feel like I can stand up to any challenge,” Peterson said. “I know a lot of people laugh and be like ‘come on, let’s be real with yourself.’ It’s Usain Bolt, but I feel like you can accomplish anything you put your mind to.”

Peterson said he’s thinking about attending the Penn Relays or another meet to “test the waters” and see how he fares against the competition.

While being able to beat Usain Bolt may be a wee bit far-fetched, the thought that he could make an Olympic team is not. After the recovery he’s had this year, it’s hard to say Adrian Peterson can’t do something that he puts his mind to.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ial-teams/

Adrian Peterson wants to play special teams

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on January 3, 2013, 1:43 AM EST

Reuters
Apparently coming nine yards short of breaking Eric Dickerson’s single-season rushing record isn’t enough for Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson.

The PFT most-valuable player award winner now wants to play special teams as well.

According to Dave Campbell of the Associated Press, Peterson has been constantly nagging special teams coordinator Mike Priefer to be involved on various special teams units.

“For the past two years I’ve been trying to get in on field goal block. Come in off the edge, you know? It’s just going to take one block for them to really be like, ‘OK, you know what? Let’s take the chance and let you go out there and get it done,’” Peterson said. “Kickoff return, I wouldn’t mind getting back there. I’m in it to win.”

Peterson actually did see time as a kick returner during his rookie season. Peterson had 16 kickoff returns and averaged over 25 yards a return in 2007. Priefer isn’t going to say no when a player comes to him and says he’s available to contribute, but head coach Leslie Frazier seems to have other ideas.

“He always asks,” Priefer said. “He’s a football player. Gunner, field goal block, returner. The guy is awesome. I always say yes, and then I ask the head coach and he says no. I know what the answer is going to be. I don’t even have to ask.”

Priefer wouldn’t rule out the possibility of using Peterson as a returner in a critical situation in the postseason. For now, just add Peterson’s desire to play special teams to his long list of goals.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: NFR: Give this man the MVP Now!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:07 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

To think we were just two picks away from being able to select AD. Knowing Rich McKay he would have found a way to fudge that up for us. Maybe it was meant to be, because with AP we dont have the year we had and we are not in position to draft Matt Ryan. He would be playing for the Chiefs and we would have Josh Freeman or someone else mediocre at QB, we would essentialy be the Minnesota Falcons.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:15 pm 

I wanted Peterson badly in that '07 draft.

If you had a time machine to go back, one wonders if McKay had made the phone call to Minnesota, would they have been willing to swap picks with us, and how different Falcons history would have gone.

2007 probably doesn't turn out as badly, and Petrino doesn't jet for Arkansas. I think that because the Falcons probably win a couple more games, and I don't think Petrino abandons a 5-8 or 6-7 team at the point he did.

That probably means now we are picking in the middle of the Round 1 instead of hte Top 5 in 2008. No Mike Smith, no Matt Ryan. Maybe a Joe Flacco. Or maybe they wait until Round 2 to take Chad Henne, more likely Brian Brohm.

So it's somewhat a blessing the Falcons did not get Peterson.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:09 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Pudge the Pass Prophet now wants a first round RB????

Gotta love AP's attitude though. In an age where so many want a dollar figure for every time they lift a different finger it is great to see guys who truly love the game they are paid so well to play.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:43 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Everything worked out exactly right!! We have a winning Gm. & A Head coach that's on the same page with him. All the others can come and go any year!!