It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jared Cook wants out of Tennessee
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:56 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Any takers??

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-o ... l/20739062

The NFL trade deadline may have been extended from Tuesday to Thursday because of Hurricane Sandy, but the consensus seems to be that there will be few if any transactions, and none of the blockbuster variety. The three names most often mentioned as dark-horse candidates: Rams running back Steven Jackson, Panthers running back DeAngelo Williams, and Chiefs wide receiver Dwayne Bowe. But for various reasons -- mostly having to do with cost or contracts -- any deal is a long shot.

Now we can add another name to the list: Titans tight end Jared Cook has requested a trade, according to a report by The Tennessean's Jim Wyatt.

Cook's agent declined to comment to Wyatt, and team officials weren't immediately available, but Cook landing elsewhere isn't likely. He was taken in the third round of the 2009 draft out of South Carolina as someone who could stretch the middle of the field and create matchup problems.

Instead, Cook has never started more than five games in any of his three and a half seasons, and other than his 49-reception effort in 2011, Cook has never hauled in more than 29 passes. That said, he has 28 catches through eight games this season but he's also in the last year of his contract and he's looking for a long-term deal.

Earlier this month, Cook was wary of saying too much when asked if he had an open dialogue with coaches about his role. According to ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky, the question was followed by seven seconds of silence before Cook finally offered this:

“I think they've talked about it. There haven't been any moves made. You can see it on film, but that's as far -- I put my work on film. You can see my production on film. I guess I don't know how to answer that question, really, without kind of throwing somebody under the bus. So I'm just going to leave it at that.”

In Sunday's overtime loss to the Colts, Cook was on the field for 42 percent of the Titans' snaps and he was targeted just four times. And as Wyatt notes, Cook has played fewer than half the snaps in six of eight games this season.

Whether the Titans are interested in dealing Cook is another matter. They wouldn't get a third-rounder for him in a trade and despite his sporadic playing time, he's young, cheap and still has plenty of upside.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Jared Cook wants out of Tennessee
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:18 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

He's not worth a third? How?

I'd be elated if ATL went after him. He should be cheap enough to hang on to even if Tony decides on another year, and he's absolute security if Tony retires. He's ahead of a rookie and has always oozed potential. Half a year with Tony to stamp outline of a successful career and approach?

I really liked him coming out of South Carolina, and I see a bit of Alge in him with the seam pass.

Yes! Yesterday!

Do it! Do it now!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:44 pm 

I've got several thoughts on this since during the summer I talked about the Falcons going after Cook next offseason if the Titans don't lock him up or tag him (which now seem extremely doubtful)...

His desire to leave Tennessee paints one of two narratives:

1- He's a perennial malcontent and therefore a bad character guy that probably wouldn't poison our locker room, but at least sour it. And ultimately will not exceed the value of the traded pick. (In a nutshell: Ray Edwards v2.0)

2- He's disgruntled legitimately due to unfair circumstances (i.e. inconsistent QB play, Chris Johnson, etc.) and when he comes to Atlanta he flourishes in a stable environment to become of the league's elite tight ends (In a nutshell: Tony Gonzalez v2.0)

Given that I thought Cook had a tendency to pout (and he played with some atrocious QBs there) while he was at South Carolina, then I'd have to lean towards Narrative One being the likelier result.

The big question the Falcons need to answer if they do show interest in Cook, what does that mean for their offense. Essentially it is a full commitment to the pass-first concept, with Cook filling the same niche here as Jermichael Finley does in GB. They are basically the same guy.

And knowing that how does that affect the rest of your roster? Which may also involve having a continued non-existent run game ala GB. And that doesn't appear to be their desire given this past off-season which was their bold attempt to recommit to the run.

Coupled with the thought of next year's draft class at TE which could be really deep if some of the juniors come out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:50 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I'd take a flier on him. Conditional 2014 pick with potential of earning them up to a 4th-5th round pick.

Otherwise, a 2013 7th round pick.

Anything more than that, and its not worth it. There is no explanation other than him being an underachiever and not putting the work necessary into his craft for him to be putting up the stats he does.

Either that, or as you said, he is a malcontent.

I don't buy your second reason: Remember, this has lasted through 2 HC's. Can't blame QB play, as poor/average QBs generally rely heavily on TE's. Case in point: Tony Gonzalez (and although correct me if I'm wrong.. are you saying TG didn't flourish in KC before coming to ATL? :wink: )

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:55 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I wouldn't give up a 3rd. I'd offer a 5th or 6th. Obviously, he's not working out for them, they might cut him entirely next year.

We need to use our top 3 draft picks on our lines.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:46 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Being in the last year of his contract changes things a bit. If he has one more year left, he's a lot more valuable.

He hasn't had decent QB'ing for most of his career, and I cannot really blame him for wanting out of TEN.

Great character guy? No. The next TG? No, and he brings a different game. Pudge, I am surprised at your take on him as you've advocated stretching the seam on a number of occasions.

Maybe you can spell it out a bit more for me, but I don't really see that they are recommitted to the run after picking up a larger tackle and the best center in the draft (and the BPA in some views). A 5th rd fullback?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:47 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Mike Jenkins anyone? Would the Cowgirls let him walk?

Might help us at depth, and bring a little homecookin' too?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:29 pm 

Nuccah wrote:
I don't buy your second reason: Remember, this has lasted through 2 HC's. Can't blame QB play, as poor/average QBs generally rely heavily on TE's. Case in point: Tony Gonzalez (and although correct me if I'm wrong.. are you saying TG didn't flourish in KC before coming to ATL? :wink: )

What I'm referring to is the essentially seamless fit/transition that Gonzo made here. We all know that Gonzo is not the player he once was, but its doubtful anyone can argue that the Falcons haven't gotten close to maximum output over the past 3.5 years. Basically the Falcons have exploited 95-120% of Gonzo's remaining ability. The hope with Cook would be to do the same, but that is really all potential/upside, which my point is probably be unlikely to happen.

samedi wrote:
Pudge, I am surprised at your take on him as you've advocated stretching the seam on a number of occasions.

Yep a player like Cook potentially fits that niche. But given the lack of progress/consistency he's shown this year, I'm not sure if Cook is that specific player that will ultimately do it especially given that this could be a really solid draft class of TEs with others that could also fit that mold.

samedi wrote:
Maybe you can spell it out a bit more for me, but I don't really see that they are recommitted to the run after picking up a larger tackle and the best center in the draft (and the BPA in some views). A 5th rd fullback?

Plus Manuwai. Don't you think it's interesting that two of those picks came from Wisconsin? Don't you think it's interesting at our 4 offensive additions this offseason would be described as thus: 330 pound guard know for his run blocking, 315 pound center know for his run blocking, 320 pound left tackle, and a fullback that made his name as a run blocker. If that doesn't smell like a team trying to recommit to the run, then I don't know what is.

I don't mean recommitment as if the Falcons intended to be a run first team this year, but they clearly saw their running game as their major/sole weakness on offense and invested in building it back up. There was no point making that investment unless you value running the football which is no secret the Falcons do. See all of their talk of "balance" this offseason despite many people knowing that they would struggle to achieve it this season.

And going back to my earlier point, an offense that gets maximum output from Jared Cook is one that will likely flex him out quite a bit, which if that is your base offense is not likely one that is going to value running the ball all that much. (see the Green Bay Packers)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:25 pm 

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/1 ... ers-growth

Titans believe TE Cook key to Locker's growth

Posted Dec. 29, 2012 @ 11:26 a.m. ET
By PFW staff
Here are the latest Whispers we're hearing from our sources throughout the AFC:

• We hear that no Titan with an expiring contract will be a greater priority to bring back in 2013 than TE Jared Cook. Before being placed on injured reserve, Cook was the club’s third-leading receiver and, though he made waves for voicing his displeasure with former coordinator Chris Palmer’s offense and his lack of involvement in it, we hear Cook is optimistic that he can carve out a greater role in the offense in the future. With WR Kenny Britt’s lack of dependability, re-signing Cook — or giving him the franchise tag, which could be an option, we hear — to promote QB Jake Locker’s growth is paramount.

Profile E-mail