Associated Press
Friday, Jan. 18, 2013
Comment
Share on email
Share on print
More Sharing Services
Share on twitter

Follow NFL
FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. — Tony Gonzalez remembers talking to Michael Strahan after the former New York Giants defensive lineman won a Super Bowl title in his final game.

JOHN BAZEMORE/ ASSOCIATED PRESS
It took Atlanta tight end Tony Gonzalez 16 years to win his first playoff game. Now he's two wins away from a Super Bowl title.
Find Atlanta Falcons tickets »

RELATED STORIES

San Francisco defenders must pick their poison against Atlanta
Atlanta tight end Tony Gonzalez nears end of his career
Atlanta tight end Tony Gonzalez makes All-Pro first team
Falcons' tight end Tony Gonzalez not easily distracted
Talk about going out in style.
“That’s the way you want to do it,” Gonzalez said Thursday. “That’s every athlete’s dream. I don’t care what sport it is. You’d love to win a championship and leave. That’s where I’m at now.”
It took him 16 years to finally win a playoff game.
Now, he’s two victories away from a Super Bowl championship with the Atlanta Falcons, two wins away from going out the same way Strahan did.
“There’s no doubt I could play this game another three years if I wanted to, and at a high level too,” the 36-year-old Gonzalez insisted. “But there comes a point in your career where you’ve gotten everything you ever wanted from this game.”
Everything except a ring.
“Really, the only reason I played the last couple of years was for an opportunity like this,” Gonzalez said. “Now that it’s presented itself, I feel closure coming on. But there’s more closure to take care of. It’s about winning this week, and winning the Super Bowl.”
The top-seeded Falcons (14-3) will play host to the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday in the NFC championship game, looking to reach the Super Bowl for just the second time in franchise history. Even though Gonzalez has not fully committed to retirement, there’s a definite sense in the Atlanta locker room of wanting to give him the ultimate going-away gift.
If the Falcons win the Super Bowl, Gonzalez sounds like any uncertainty over his planned retirement will surely be wiped away.
“That’s the goal: win a championship and get out of here,” he said. “We’re right at the door. The door is opening for us. We’ve just got to push it open a little bit more.”

Profile E-mail