Post subject: NFR: Pacman says programs work, but players don't use them
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:10 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -use-them/

Adam Jones says programs work, but players don’t use them
Posted by Darin Gantt on December 14, 2012, 5:20 PM EST
Adam Jones AP

In the wake of the big-picture issues the NFL has faced in successive weekends, more attention has been paid to the programs put in place by the league to protects its players.

Less focus, however, has been put on the role of individual responsibility, and players’ willingness to take advantage of them.

With the league still reeling from Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher shooting himself and then his girlfriend, followed by the death of Cowboys linebacker Jerry Brown in an car wreck which resulted in the arrest of teammate Josh Brent on intoxication manslaughter charges, the problems continue to pile up.

And when the question becomes whether the league can prevent any of these problems, few are more qualified to talk about it than Bengals cornerback Adam Jones.

“I think the league does a great job offering resources. We just don’t use them,” the artist formerly known as Pacman told Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com. “I know I didn’t use mine when I was younger.

“This happens to a lot of young guys who come into the league. The first four years happen so fast, you never really get to catch up and realize the resources you have.”

Jones had a record when he was drafted, and piled up four arrests in his first two seasons, along with an incident when a member of his party was charged with attempted murder for a shooting at a strip club (for which Jones was found liable for $11.6 million in damages by a Nevada jury this year).

Jones has even become a speaker at the league’s rookie symposium, and said now that he’s 29 years old, he’s learned to take advantage of the amount of help he was offered, such as the Bengals safe-ride program when he goes out for a drink.

“A bunch of guys use it,” Jones said. “If I have over two drinks, I’m gonna use it. I feel like I’ve worked so hard to get back to where I’m at that I refuse to let a lack of judgment after two drinks affect that. I’d rather call 3-2-1 RIDE.

“This didn’t come overnight. It took a while to trust and believe and really just wise up that this was put here by the team to help you and not because they were trying to see what you were doing or why you were drunk or why you had this-many drinks.

“You have to put that aside. It’s not easy to do.”

If Adam Jones learned, there aren’t many excuses for the rest of the league. But his realistic assessment of why the programs aren’t used more often are more of a concern, and point to the truth that the league can’t reach everyone no matter how many programs are in place.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: NFR: Pacman says programs work, but players don't use th
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:51 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

the problem is most of the players are afraid if they use the program, it's going to come to light during contract time...

The league needs to sub-contract the service out to a 3rd party that refuses to disclose who is using it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:02 pm 

Good point.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:29 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
Good point.

which makes it curioser. I mean, it's pretty easy to figure this one out. I can't figure out why they haven't done this already. It's a no-brainer.

there must be some liability concern that I haven't figured out. Like possibly, if they do sub-contract this service out, and THEN the player gets injured do to no fault of his own, then maybe the league is on the hook.

still, it's an investment. Players are capital, and the league should be trying to protect thier investments. I applaud them for trying, but there are better ways to do these kind of things. :?:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:59 pm 

My guess is that the NFL lets the teams take care of this, without any sort of league-mandated policy. And then that means the level of variance between how each team handles it is affecting things.

Perhaps there are some teams that take a third party taxi company, pay them $$$ to make this a "special" service for their players. Perhaps other teams are basically handling things "in house" where they essentially hire their own drivers. And thus you can get a great deal of variance on how players view such programs from city to city, and thus affecting their usefulness.

But I suspect that this off-season, the NFL will take a further interest in strengthening many of these programs for players in light of the deaths surrounding Belcher and Jerry Brown. One of the positives about the NFL being one giant corporation is that they don't adhere to the notion of "Any publicity is Good publicity." It could affect real change going forward. Although of course the downside of the NFL being a big corporation is that change is only tolerated as long as those profit margins remain on a steady climb...

Profile E-mail