It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kicking Cute Stats While They're Down
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:26 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Per Pat Y:

It's time for androgyny, it's time for Pat! wrote:
Check out this post that ranks the NFL’s offensive lines Insider from No. 1 to No. 32.

The fine folks at Pro Football Focus put a lot of effort into this and I don’t dispute their rankings. But I am a bit surprised at where some of the NFC South offensive lines were ranked.

The New Orleans Saints came in at No. 3 in the league. If that ranking came in any of the last few seasons, I wouldn’t be that surprised. But my impression is that New Orleans’ offensive line play has slipped a bit this season, partly due to the departure of guard Carl Nicks and partly due to a series of injuries at right tackle.

The Atlanta Falcons are No. 16, which sounds about right. The Falcons brought in a new offensive line coach (Pat Hill) and also became more of a passing team. The run blocking hasn’t been great, but left tackle Sam Baker finally has played up to expectations.

I’m mildly surprised the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are ranked as low (No. 22) as they are. The Bucs are without injured Pro Bowl guards Nicks and Davin Joseph and have had to adjust their line multiple times. That line has played well enough for Doug Martin to rush for more than 1,000 yards and has given Josh Freeman enough time to connect on some downfield throws. Tampa Bay's offensive line clearly has overachieved.

The Carolina Panthers came in at No. 29. Like the Bucs, the Panthers have had some significant injuries on their offensive line. Unlike the Bucs, the next guys up haven’t been able to deliver positive results.

Yep. 16th. Cute stats. Alert.

Feel free to defend the efficacy of the line this year. Are there really 16 worse lines? Yikes.

Post subject: Re: Kicking Cute Stats While They're Down
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:35 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I believe PFF generates these numbers by collectively adding each individual O-lineman together, which is probably not the most accurate method measurement of a unit's strength by isolating its individual components.

But most of the teams that are graded below us aren't in the playoff hunt. Pittsburgh is below us (18th), but they of course have the excuse that they've had injuries at 4 out of 5 positions. Washington is right below them (19th), and besides Trent Williams all of their guys are pretty average. GB is after them (20th) and their struggles up front are fairly well known. Seattle (24th) is no surprise given their right side consists of Paul McQuistan and Breno Giacomini. And a combo of JR Sweezy, James Carpenter, and John Moffitt have tried handling the LG spot (to no avail).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Kicking Cute Stats While They're Down
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:58 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

:roll: