Julio Huh? Run Defense!

Discuss your favorite team: the Atlanta Falcons. As well as all NFL and pro football-related topics, including fantasy football.

Moderators: Capologist, dirtybirdnw, thescout

User avatar
Emmitt
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 4947
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:51 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Julio Huh? Run Defense!

Postby Emmitt » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:26 pm

So who wants to bash Julio this week? Played his best game as a Falcon and he wasn't even 100%. I'd love to hear some of the bashing based off this game. Overall great team win and I can't really complain except a few breakdowns in coverage. The run defense was incredible today as well shutting down a top 10 running back. How about Asante Samuel fighting through an injury and making the play at the end of the game.. Overall tough win that Atlanta really deserved.

Give the ball to Rodgers more please, he had his break out game in both aspects as a running back.
Image

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

User avatar
backnblack
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6457
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: Planet Claire

Re: Julio Huh? Run Defense!

Postby backnblack » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:42 pm

OK, I'll bite. Julio drops too many passes..TD passes. He's a beast though and I am certainly not in the JJ Haters Club. He's had questionable hands going back to his AL days. Matt has really gotten the deep pass together this year. Way to shut us up, MR! Now, it is Julio's turn!

User avatar
DaveWaz
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 2595
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Albany NY

Re: Julio Huh? Run Defense!

Postby DaveWaz » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:46 pm

The Ball Julio dropped wasn't a great pass, it was behind him. Other than that pretty much a perfect game for Julio. Great down field blocking by him as well. My only concern with the Falcons is why we keep putting Turner in, both of the other backs are outplaying him.
When life gives you lemons, find some salt and tequila then invite me!

User avatar
backnblack
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6457
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: Planet Claire

Re: Julio Huh? Run Defense!

Postby backnblack » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:56 pm

DaveWaz wrote:The Ball Julio dropped wasn't a great pass, it was behind him. Other than that pretty much a perfect game for Julio. Great down field blocking by him as well. My only concern with the Falcons is why we keep putting Turner in, both of the other backs are outplaying him.

True. It also isn't the first pass he has dropped that could have been caught. It's a middling complaint but as has been discussed here endlessly his price tag is accompanied by incredibly lofty expectations. He is TO-ish without the headsnakes. TO didn't have the greatest hands either bu twhen you watch Jj running in the open field it is like watching an Arabian Charger....power and grace.

RobertAP
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 4502
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:15 pm

Re: Julio Huh? Run Defense!

Postby RobertAP » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:22 pm

If I'm going to bash anyone, it's going to be the coaching staff for having Turner on the field on the final drive.

User avatar
Emmitt
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 4947
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:51 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: Julio Huh? Run Defense!

Postby Emmitt » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:26 pm

RobertAP wrote:If I'm going to bash anyone, it's going to be the coaching staff for having Turner on the field on the final drive.


AGREED. Quizz needs to start getting more carries. I'll never hate on Turner because he gave Atlanta 4 good to great years. He needs to take a seat on bench and only get 10 carries a game.
Image

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

User avatar
thescout
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6612
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Indianapolis IN

Re: Julio Huh? Run Defense!

Postby thescout » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:11 pm

I'll play ..as long as Julio stays on the field the Falcon offense is much better. If he isn't on the field the offense doesn't have near the fire power. Can he stay healthy?
Sometimes running the Mularkey offense makes me feel like I'm in a prison.

User avatar
Emmitt
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 4947
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:51 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: Julio Huh? Run Defense!

Postby Emmitt » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:51 pm

He set a career high in yards today with limited practice. That says something about his toughness.
Image

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

User avatar
thescout
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6612
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Indianapolis IN

Re: Julio Huh? Run Defense!

Postby thescout » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:00 pm

How much will he play in the playoffs is the big question?
Sometimes running the Mularkey offense makes me feel like I'm in a prison.

User avatar
DaveWaz
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 2595
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Albany NY

Re: Julio Huh? Run Defense!

Postby DaveWaz » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:36 pm

I feel confident he'll be out there. He plays hurt. Also we will hopefully have a bye week to get any nagging injuries up to 100% :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx:

:(

:fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx:
When life gives you lemons, find some salt and tequila then invite me!

User avatar
Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Posts: 26397
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:03 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Julio Huh? Run Defense!

Postby Pudge » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:04 pm

I don't want to rain on the Julio parade because I agree with everything that has been said about him thus far in this thread.

...But let's not forget the Bucs weren't playing Wright or Talib at CB. Julio dominated, about he typically does vs. inferior competition. I want to see more games like this against quality corners. He's had them this year, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't like he did this to Champ Bailey or anything.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

User avatar
Emmitt
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 4947
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:51 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: Julio Huh? Run Defense!

Postby Emmitt » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:11 pm

Pudge wrote:I don't want to rain on the Julio parade because I agree with everything that has been said about him thus far in this thread.

...But let's not forget the Bucs weren't playing Wright or Talib at CB. Julio dominated, about he typically does vs. inferior competition. I want to see more games like this against quality corners. He's had them this year, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't like he did this to Champ Bailey or anything.


Can't dispute that. I thought his shining moment was against Dallas this year. Only issue is that any teams left on schedule with great cornerbacks? I really don't see it so I'm expecting Julio to continue to have big games.
Image

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

User avatar
fun gus
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
Posts: 5301
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:32 am

Re: Julio Huh? Run Defense!

Postby fun gus » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:25 am

hell, I wanted to sit him so he would be 100% vs the Saints. :oops:

Nobody thinks this guy aint 'tough'. I just hope he is 'durable'. He is shutting me up, playing hard even when he is not 100%. I get that.

But I am looking down the road. I know I will get flamed for this but if we knock out the Saints, and we get to the Lions game or the last Buccs game, I would use him but limit him so when the playoffs arrive he isn't 'rusty' or have leftover 'nagging injuries'. How sweet would it be to see him 100% then?
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"

User avatar
backnblack
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6457
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: Planet Claire

Re: Julio Huh? Run Defense!

Postby backnblack » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:50 am

fun gus wrote:hell, I wanted to sit him so he would be 100% vs the Saints. :oops:

Nobody thinks this guy aint 'tough'. I just hope he is 'durable'. He is shutting me up, playing hard even when he is not 100%. I get that.

But I am looking down the road. I know I will get flamed for this but if we knock out the Saints, and we get to the Lions game or the last Buccs game, I would use him but limit him so when the playoffs arrive he isn't 'rusty' or have leftover 'nagging injuries'. How sweet would it be to see him 100% then?

Image
I oughta slap you, FG.

User avatar
fun gus
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
Posts: 5301
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:32 am

Re: Julio Huh? Run Defense!

Postby fun gus » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:03 am

backnblack wrote:
fun gus wrote:hell, I wanted to sit him so he would be 100% vs the Saints. :oops:

Nobody thinks this guy aint 'tough'. I just hope he is 'durable'. He is shutting me up, playing hard even when he is not 100%. I get that.

But I am looking down the road. I know I will get flamed for this but if we knock out the Saints, and we get to the Lions game or the last Buccs game, I would use him but limit him so when the playoffs arrive he isn't 'rusty' or have leftover 'nagging injuries'. How sweet would it be to see him 100% then?

Image
I oughta slap you, FG.


:lol: :up:
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"

Go Falcons
All-Pro
All-Pro
Posts: 999
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:55 am
Location: Fayetteville, GA

Re: Julio Huh? Run Defense!

Postby Go Falcons » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:52 pm

You sure won't find me bashing Julio!
The Falcons are rising!

Nuccah
Playmaker
Playmaker
Posts: 380
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:51 am
Location: Estepona, Spain
Contact:

Re: Julio Huh? Run Defense!

Postby Nuccah » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:46 am

Hats off to the Corners, DL, & Julio. From PFF:

Though Matt Ryan was just two of four for 21 yards and an interception on passes under pressure, the Tampa Bay defense just didn’t get to him nearly often enough, pressuring him on just six of his 34 drop-backs.


Healthy Julio

Julio Jones (+2.9 receiving) has been battling injuries the past few weeks, though you certainly wouldn’t know that from watching his performance against the Bucs. Jones was a dangerous target from start to finish, catching six of eight passes thrown his way for 147 yards. And none was bigger than his 80-yard touchdown reception at 8:26 of the third quarter, which put the Falcons ahead, just one play after the Bucs had taken the lead on a 42-yard Connor Barth field goal.

The receiver wasn’t without a few negative plays on the day, though, as he was flagged for offensive pass interference in the end zone, dropped a pass (thrown behind him, but still very catchable), and struggled as a run blocker. Still, the Falcons will easily tolerate a few mistakes from a young player as talented and productive as Jones.


Dunta and Asante

The Falcons were able to slow down the scorching Tampa Bay offense in large part due to the outstanding play in the secondary. No player had a better day than Dunta Robinson (+4.1) with perhaps his best overall performance of the season. In coverage, Robinson was about as good as it gets, breaking up a pass and allowing just one catch for 10 yards. But his best work was done near the line of scrimmage, where he produced three stops and one of the team’s two sacks. On the opposite side of the field, Asante Samuel had a strong game as well, allowing just two of five passes into his coverage to be completed for 23 yards, though he dropped two potential interceptions in the second half.
Image


Return to “The Huddle”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest