All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Koetter is a Candidate for Open UK Job
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:42 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://falcfans.com/koetter-a-candidate ... tucky-6599

Koetter a Candidate to Take Over at Kentucky
November 6th, 2012 Aaron Freeman

Pat Forde of Yahoo! Sports reported on Sunday that after the University of Kentucky fired its head coach Joker Phillips, that according to sources Falcons offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter was among several candidates on the short list by UK athletic director Mitch Barnhart to take over the gig.

Koetter joined the Falcons this year after five seasons as the offensive coordinator of the Jacksonville Jaguars. He has been a college head coach before, with stints at Arizona State (2001-06) and Boise State (1998-00). During his nine seasons as a college head coach, he compiled a 66-44 record, including a 3-2 bowl record.

Fellow candidates per Forde include former University of Tennessee head coach Phil Fulmer, Louisiana Tech head coach Sonny Dykes, University of Florida offensive coordinator Brent Pease, Texas Tech offensive coordinator Neal Brown, and Western Kentucky head coach Willie Taggart.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Koetter is a Candidate for Open UK Job
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:42 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I'd be pretty pissed if he left.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:33 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I really doubt that he's going to bail after a year. Plus, I doubt and NFL teams are going to give him serious consideration... Everyone knows that we've had the talent for a while. I think Koetter simply exposes how much Mularkey sucks.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:23 am 

I think you're being a bit naive Robert.

I agree, I think he won't leave to go to Kentucky. I don't think Koetter wants to be a college head coach. I'm sure at some point in the past 5 years, there have been other offers that he could have taken to go back to college, and the fact that he did not suggests to me that he wants to be an NFL head coach. And I think he'll stay in Atlanta until the right one comes along.

But I do think there will be offers from NFL teams, and if the right one comes along, I could very easily seeing Koetter departing Atlanta this year. You have a number of teams that after this off-season could be cleaning house, such as Philadelphia, Carolina, Cleveland, Houston, San Diego, etc. that may not just be firing their head coach, but also their GMs as well. Which means that the potential for his departure could decrease because you'll have fresh blood in those places, looking for their guy, and if Koetter happens to click with whomever is the new GM, then he could easily move onto greener pastures.

Now, I wouldn't bet on it that Koetter will leave (I'd say the odds are not above 30% at this point). But I think he will be among the Top 5 candidates for head coaching jobs after this season for teams not looking for retreads, but I do think those odds could increase as we get closer to January.

Think about it, who else out there is a hot OC/DC candidate that already hasn't been a failed NFL head coach before? Wade Phillips, Rod Marinelli, Josh McDaniels, Dom Capers?

It's basically going to be Koetter, Rick Dennison, Mike ZImmer, and Bruce Arians likely to get the majority of phone calls.

So unless this happens to be the year that guys like Cowher, Billick, Gruden, etc. get back into the mix, then there should be ample opportunity for a guy like Koetter.

Profile E-mail