Being a head case cause for slides?

Discuss your favorite team: the Atlanta Falcons. As well as all NFL and pro football-related topics, including fantasy football.

Moderators: Capologist, dirtybirdnw, thescout

dirtybirdnw

Being a head case cause for slides?

Postby dirtybirdnw » Tue May 02, 2006 10:32 am

I'm listening to team reports commenting on what they where looking this year in the draft. They almost all stated they wanted good footballs with no character issues. It seemed to be a league wide trend with fewer teams taking those Randy Moss gambles. I suppose the Falcons and Titans rolled the dice by taking Williams & White as both slid due to character.

But this could explain why so many people missed picks completely. Teams where most concerned about character this time around.
Fear the BEARD!

FalconsAreTheBest
All-Pro
All-Pro

Postby FalconsAreTheBest » Tue May 02, 2006 2:03 pm

Dont forget USC OT Winston Justice who also fell out of the 1st round becuse of issues.
Yep

widetrak21
Superstar
Superstar

Postby widetrak21 » Tue May 02, 2006 3:05 pm

It's a copycat league, so when teams like the Patriots get it done with "character" guys, everyone follows suit.

Steve-O
All-Pro
All-Pro

Postby Steve-O » Tue May 02, 2006 3:34 pm

With the TO drama, the love boat scandal, Javon Walker's holdout, Chris Henry's arrest and all the other drama that's popped up in the last couple of seasons it's no surprise at all to me that more teams are placing an emphasis on character....

what good does a player do if he's always in trouble?

AtlGraff07
Playmaker
Playmaker

Postby AtlGraff07 » Tue May 02, 2006 4:12 pm

Every team has a player or 2 that will cause trouble during a season. Coleman had me shaking my head when he got in that accident after drinkink (don't know if he was drunk or not), but I still did not and do not understand why players risk their career doing stupid things. I am honestly happy though that teams passed on Jimmy because of "character issues" because we would not of had a chance at him otherwise.

Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Postby Pudge » Tue May 02, 2006 8:04 pm

No team signed Marcus Vick, although the Dolphins invited him to their mini-camp without a contract. That should tell you more and more just how much character is begining to matter to NFL teams. There are always going to be the "black sheep" organizations that will take risks (Dolphins, Broncos, Redskins, and Raiders being the most prominent among them). I mean teams passed on LenDale White, if you judge purely by the tape was the 2nd best back in this draft, but he was the 5th guy taken and basically 31 teams passed on him.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

dirtybirdnw

Postby dirtybirdnw » Wed May 03, 2006 11:10 am

The NFL has also been trying to shake the 'wife beater' and 'murder' image that it developed over the late 90's and early 00's. People say that the NBA is the bad boy league the the NFL was far worse they where just better at covering it up. That and there are 55 players to track on an NFL roster vs. the 15 on an NBA roster. It's easier to find dirt on 15 guys.

But this appears to be the birth of a new era in the NFL. I have to give their marketing department props from keeping a lot of the darker sides of the NFL from showing through the product on Sundays.
Fear the BEARD!

Return to “The Huddle”