It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jimmy Williams on Buck and Kincade
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:35 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

he still doesn't take any responsibility for bumping that ref during the bowl game. also interestingly yesterday he got a call from Frank Beamer congratulating him on getting drafted. that was the first time he'd spoken with him since before that game. yikes.

i think we've got a real card on our hands here.

Post subject: JW
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:03 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Listen, I saw this guy on NFL Network talking to Rich and the gang and he was VERY down to earth and respectful. He didn't even come with a entourage, just flew in solo and talked like a guy the Falcons would want on their team. I don't see him in any way being a loose cannon. The heavens parted when we got this guy in the second round. I don't care what you think about him other than the fact that most people had him going between 4-12 in the first round and we got him at 37. Also, whatever anyone didn't like about him can be made up for with his size a CB. We will need a guy like him to defend all these 'freak' 6'5"+ recievers out there. I mean really, 'jump ball' him, I dare yeah! JW is solid in mind and body.

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:32 pm 
Starter
Starter

Nice post M.Falcon-I also think JW (or whatever his nickname will be) will be a more than solid CB and hopefully he will get in early as possible and start learning our system. Go Falcons!! Offenses will fear our D soon enough. twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:42 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Yea I talked to a guy I work with who is a Va Tech grad and he said that J Williams was a much better "human being" than Deangelo was in terms of trash talk, thug, etc... Those were his words... I took it as maybe the whole character/bad image he has is blown out of proportion... I mean Delo isn't really that bad... and if Jimmy can tame it up a bit as he matures I'm not really concerned with a little attitude.. you can never have too much

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:27 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I am not sure if this is true or not.. Most likely a huge rumor but someone sent me a link earlier to some Skins website. They said that in his predraft interview he took a phone call and talked on the phone for 2 minutes while they were showing him film. I do not know if this is true at all but I just wanted to mention it. I know he has a lot of potential and if he really has character issues, I just hope that Hall can tame him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:11 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

if his character was a big concern we wouldn't have drafted him....

McKay really does stick to his Falcon's Filter and I think if Jimmy way a player we needed to really worry about we would have passed on him

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:03 am 

According to McKay he was rated an AA in the all important personality department which is the highest one can get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:20 am 
Superstar
Superstar

- I believe the term everyone's looking for is "athletic arrogance", and you need to to play CB in the NFL. They've said DeLo's the perfect example multiple times. If you watched VT's bowl game against Louisville, there was nothing for him to apologize for. That was the worst officiated game I've ever seen! Then after the fact, the ref went out of his way to diss VT's players as being too aggressive. Well this is football you know. To even bring up that incident is laughable. We got a steal and now JWeb better be looking over his shoulder for JDub.

- Here's a little blurb from Mora...
Michael Vick, DeAngelo Hall, and now Jimmy Williams. Once again, the Atlanta Falcons use a high draft pick to select a player from Virginia Tech. Falcons Head Coach Jim Mora was asked, "what is it about Virginia Tech players and the Falcons?" We thought you'd find his response interesting:

Coach Jim Mora - "I'm sure Phil (Emery) could probably speak more towards it than me because he spends a lot more time up there scouting players and he's more familiar with their coaches. But, there is a certain culture they have up there. A certain competitiveness, a certain toughness that those guys come out of college with. They know how to win and compete. They have athletic arrogance, yet to me, they are all grounded kids. When you can add guys like that to your organization, it just furthers what we are trying to do.

We want to create that same type of culture. It seems like every year they have a guy, or two or three that step out at you. They know how to win. They're tough. They're hard-nosed. They're competitive guys. Guys that you want to add to your organization."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:23 am 
Superstar
Superstar

http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/sports/14477056.htm

FLOWERY BRANCH - As much as he likes to talk, Jimmy Williams stops short of declaring himself a starting cornerback for the Atlanta Falcons.

Not just yet.

"I just want to play," Williams said Sunday. "Whether it be a gunner, punt return or kickoff return, I just want to hit somebody. I've been working, and every day I've been doing something. I'm anxious to get out there on the field and contribute."

Williams, the 37th overall pick of the NFL draft, must wait until Atlanta's mandatory mini-camp in two weeks before veterans and rookies are on the field together.

It's too early to tell if Williams will replace Jason Webster at right cornerback. Coach Jim Mora would only indicate that every starter must earn his job on the field.

"I don't want to put a label on this kid and say he's going to be our starting right corner or he's going to be in our nickel package," Mora said. "I want to see where the competition takes it, but we are certainly happy to have him."

DeAngelo Hall, a former teammate of Williams at Virginia Tech, faces no challenge at left cornerback after earning a first-team Pro Bowl slot in December.

On the Falcons' team web site Monday, Williams was listed No. 2 at right cornerback. Kevin Mathis, a nine-year veteran recovering from reconstructive knee surgery, is third string.

Chris Cash and Allen Rossum are behind Hall on the left side.

Like Williams, nobody mistakes Hall for a wallflower. Hall's confidence, however, is balanced from two years of experience and giving little ground against star receivers like Steve Smith, Terrell Owens, Joe Horn, Eric Moulds, Torry Holt or Laveranues Coles.

Another reason for Hall's self-assured personality is the $13 million in guaranteed bonuses he received after Atlanta drafted him No. 8 overall in 2004.

Williams, who thought during his senior year that he would be the first cornerback drafted, has already suffered some humiliation after falling out of the first round and watching teams take four cornerbacks ahead of him.

"I'm not going to lie to you," Williams said. "I was fairly disappointed. At the same time, I couldn't be in a better place. I couldn't have better teammates, owner, coaches or family."

A brash attitude didn't serve Williams well before the first game of his junior season. Virginia Tech was preparing to face Southern California in the opener when Williams predicted the Hokies would shut down the Trojans' passing attack.

The comments irritated Frank Beamer enough that the Virginia Tech coach prohibited Williams from talking to reporters for the rest of the year.

"It was just a learning experience, and I'm glad it happened because I wouldn't be here if it didn't," Williams said.

"I definitely wouldn't be here talking to y'all or know how to talk to all of you now. I need you all just as much as you need me."

Williams wasn't sure that overconfidence contributed to his drop in the draft. He just knew that three teams with picks in the top nine - the New York Jets, San Francisco 49ers and Detroit Lions - kept calling him. The Miami Dolphins, who were 16th, also stayed in touch.

"It's always been difficult for me to get my dues or earn respect," Williams said. "I kind of like it that way. That's me. It pushes me to become a better player, so I'm going to use it to my advantage."

The Falcons have no plans to use the 6-foot-2, 213-pound Williams at safety. The native of Hampton, Va., didn't become a cornerback at Virginia Tech until his junior year.

"We watched tape of all the corners in the country, and when you challenge him, you aren't going to run his edge," said Phil Emery, Atlanta's director of college scouting. "When a running back comes up his alley, he's making a play. So we feel very fortunate to have him."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:35 am 

Ya know... The way we've drafted and the players we've signed have quickly made us perhaps the most atheletic team in the NFL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:01 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

and also one of the smallest.