It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Edwards Released!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:52 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/arti ... eac62cdfee

The Falcons released defensive end Ray Edwards on Monday night. Edwards originally signed with the Falcons last year during training camp.

The Atlanta Falcons today announced that they have released defensive end Ray Edwards.

Edwards, 6-5, 268 pounds, was selected as a fourth round (127th pick overall) draft choice by the Minnesota Vikings in 2006. He was signed by the Falcons as a free agent on July 29, 2011.

Post subject: Re: Edwards Released!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:57 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

For TD is a jolly good fellow, which nobody can deny!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:00 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Love how TD is already getting rid of his mistakes. Peria Jerry is the only other major mistake pick on the roster. It was a bad flop no doubt about it, Edwards had to go. Clearly has no value to the team, good riddance. Can't wait to see what the young defensive ends can do with more opportunities than some over priced doofus.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:12 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Good news here. Now waiting for the other shoe to drop... Turner should probably be benched or cut next.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:27 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Panic much?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:32 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Jeff Schultz Falcons’ startling admission: Ray Edwards was a blunder
10:01 pm November 12, 2012, by Jeff Schultz

Here's Ray Edwards without pads. No reason to show him with pads because he seldom used them. (Curtis Compton/AJC)
(Updated: 10:15 p.m.)

Say goodbye to one of the few significant personnel mistakes of the Thomas Dimitroff-Mike Smith era.

Defensive end Ray Edwards, the epitome of a free agent bust, was drop-kicked by the Falcons Monday night. How bad does a supposed high-profile player have to be for him to be found useless by two defensive coordinators (Brian VanGorder and Mike Nolan) in two seasons?

The Falcons alibied for Edwards last season, when he managed only 3.5 sacks after recording 16.5 the previous two seasons in Minnesota. They said he wasn’t healthy. There also were suggestions that he wasn’t being used right by the since-departed VanGorder.

Well, excuses apparently weren’t being accepted this season – and Nolan presumably was given a bigger hammer to swing than VanGorder.

Edwards had become a highly paid part-time player. He was brought in to help the pass rush. He devolved into early-down player to defend the run. He wasn’t even doing that well. This for a guy who was signed before last season to a five-year, $27.5 million contract (more than half of which fortunately never will make it into his pocket).

How much had Edwards disappeared? According to Football Outsiders, which tracks the total snap counts of every player, Edwards was in for only 14 plays total in Sunday’s game at New Orleans, and four of those came on special teams. He played on only 10 defensive snaps, which equated to 18 percent of the game.

Meanwhile, Nolan has found ways to use younger players in Edwards place and Kroy Biermann has been used in pass-rush situations and even dropped into coverage. Edwards’ days clearly were numbered.

There was a growing belief that if Nolan couldn’t find much use for him, Edwards would be gone after the season. He gave the impression he just didn’t care. Some wondered if he was putting greater effort into his modeling career. (Here’s a link to his 2012 Edwards’ modeling calendar. Not sure if they’re still $8.)

He also wasn’t the most pleasant person to be around for the media, not that a team would factor that into a personnel decision. Besides, by this point, nobody really wanted to talk to him anyway.

The fact the Falcons made this move now is remarkable for an NFL team just past the halfway point of the season. But if they are going to get pounded publicly for the signing, they should be credited for making such a bold move now. It’s actually a good sign that they were not going to let a problem fester and potentially ruin the season.

That said, signing him was a big mistake.

Post subject: Falcons Cut Ray Edwards?!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:24 am 
Superstar
Superstar

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/arti ... eac62cdfee

Post subject: Re: Falcons Cut Ray Edwards?!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:26 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Only saves us a million in cap space next year. Oh well...

Post subject: Re: Falcons Cut Ray Edwards?!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:27 am 

It's about time some of the younger players are getting some reps. Edwards was dead wood and just taking time away from other players not developing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:55 am 
Superstar
Superstar

backnblack wrote:
Panic much?

How is this is a panic move to a guy that hasn't made any kind of impact in a Falcon jersey? Find me three good games that he had in a Falcons uniform. Ridiculous post. Turner getting cut would be a panic move right now. That would be a slap in the face to a guy that gave Atlanta at least three really good years with last year being average. At least let him stay with the team until season ends.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:59 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

See, I told y'all that God answers prayer. Lol :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:01 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Massaquoi!!!! :pray:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:17 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Emmitt wrote:
backnblack wrote:
Panic much?

How is this is a panic move to a guy that hasn't made any kind of impact in a Falcon jersey? Find me three good games that he had in a Falcons uniform. Ridiculous post. Turner getting cut would be a panic move right now. That would be a slap in the face to a guy that gave Atlanta at least three really good years with last year being average. At least let him stay with the team until season ends.

Cool your jets, grasshopper. I'm talking about the comment about Turner coupled with the thing about Ray. You lose one game by four points and all of a sudden you cut half the team? So, I guess you're the one with the ridiculous post or Capt Obvious of the Day. :lol:

I think you will see and, actually, have seen MT getting less carries and time on the field. Smith and staff are not allegiant to salaries. Baker found his way to the bench last year, you may recall. I've called Ray Edwards out as much as any player we have had in recent years. He seems ot have gotten paid and quit. It happens. BTW, for any more of the ready, fire, aim crowd--I give Pudge props for saying it was a bad signing from the start in the game thread at the top of the page where Mattural first posted this cutting.I didn't know much about the guy but this certainly qualifies as TD's biggest mistake.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:35 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

[quote="backnblack.I didn't know much about the guy but this certainly qualifies as TD's biggest mistake.[/quote]

really? I think Peria Jerry was worse. At least Edwards had ONE good year( unfortunately it wasn't here) . Honestly, from a projection standpoint, Jerry hasn't even had that.

Wonder who had the job of delivering the message? Would have been funny if he got off the charter plane at the ATL airport and they met him there with all his locker room crap in a cardboard box. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:09 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

It's funny because they said he was playing Lil Wayne "No Worries" right before they called him into the office. I woulda loved to see that scenario play out. Lol

Profile E-mail