It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adam Jennings
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:06 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

- Interesting to hear McKay's comments here about the fourth WR needing to be a big ST's guy.

Adam Jennings we picked in the next round. We targeted him from the very beginning as a special teams guy that is capable of doing returns, both kickoff and punt. He'll compete at the fourth receiver's spot. He is the ultra, tough competitive guy. We feel like at the four-hole in our receiver make up, whoever makes it at that spot has got to participate on special teams. We've been very fortunate to have Brian Finneran over the years contribute a lot. Then we drafted Michael Jenkins and unbeknownst to us, he became a very good special teams player. Now, those guys are sitting at the top three and we need some production out of that fourth spot. That's what we drafted him to compete for. If you look at his numbers, you'll like what he did return-wise and you'll like what he did tackle-wise. He's a very tough guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:21 pm 

No real surprise about McKay noting the #4 receiver needs to be a solid ST guy. This team revolves around it's ST units and almost everyone is expected to contribute to ST in some way. Atlanta has been big on ST for a long time now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:36 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

After looking over Jennings stats, I'm going to take a step back on some of my previous comments about him. HIs career numbers are so:

RECEIVING: 89 catches for 1265 yards (14.2 avg) and 12 TDs
RUSHING: 48 carries for 337 yards (7.0 avg) and 3 TDs
PUNT RETURNS: 95 returns for 781 yards (8.2 avg) and 2 TDs
KICKOFF RETURNS: 70 returns for 1731 yards (24.7 avg)
SPECIAL TEAMS: 19 tackles, 1 fumble recovery, 1 forced fumble, 1 blocked punt

I still think it was a big reach, since most of what I'm hearing is that many teams were looking at him as a CB rather than WR.

But it seems that with his ability in special teams coverage, and the fact that he did score on 2 punt returns (previously I thought he had never scored), then I will say that he probably will make this year's roster as the No. 4 wide receiver.

It seems Rossum is going to be hard-pressed to make the roster. With CObb pushing him on kickoffs and Jennings on punts, he's going to have to have a good preseason if he wants to make the roster.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:18 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Good point about Rossum. Something happened to the guy during last season,...he became less aggressive after catching the ball, almost like he was afarid to get hit or something. He's gone now that we have a nickel back in Williams or Webster.

Also read recently that Kevin Mathis is progressing well with that torn up knee.

As said, with DeAndra and now Jennings, both great return men in college, Rossum probably won't even make the team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:31 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Something happened to the guy during last season,...he became less aggressive after catching the ball, almost like he was afarid to get hit or something.

- That jumped out at me way too many times last year too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:55 am 

I still wonder if Rossum had a lingering leg injury ala Vick most of the season. It would explain what happened last year. Or Rossum is one of those guys that is hot one day and dissapears the next and nobody knows he left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:10 pm 

Rossum was so good down the stretch in '04, that it may be a bit unfair when you look at his '05 season. BUt yeah, I agree he just didn't have that big play flair. He's never been a great kickoff return man while here in Atlanta, but his flair on punt returns dropped significantly. In '04, he had 7 returns of 20 or more yards, last year he had only 3, his lowest total since being a Falcon. It was also the first time since joining this team in '02 that he averaged under 10 yards per return.

It's clear that the team definitely has the option of using Hall occassionally on returns, because I know the team doesn't want to wear him out for defense. But it seems pretty clear that Jennings was added to push him at punt return, and you now it's going to be harder for Cobb to make the roster as well as the kickoff guy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:18 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Rossom kept fair catching the ball instead of trying for a return. it's silly to see the return man slap the ball in his hand because he's upset he had a return and chose to fair catch it. he must have done that half a dozen times last year. returning those kicks vs fair catching them could have been the difference between a win and a loss last year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:12 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Yeah DeLo would be lethal on punts, but even with the DB additions, it's probably not worth the risk. It will be interesting to see what Cobb's got this yr.