It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wow, Wow,Wow, Wow
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:06 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

You may have noticed that I do mini reviews of the game past few weeks just to discuss the game. Here is a few thoughts,

Matt Ryan continues to evolve to the next level to being an elite QB. Despite getting drilled all game, the way he bounced back was remarkable. It goes to show you how the strength conditioning he did in the off season really helps. Also how about those long bombs? When do you see Ryan complete two long bomb passes in a game? It has been a very long time and it was great to see. Some people may be concerned about Julio but I'm not. He was very unfortunate getting only one catch with all the sacks that went down. Ryan was looking to throw to him about every time he got sacked. He made a clutch play at the end and its great to see he doesn't get down. Roddy White is still the man in Atlanta and is a top three receiver in the league. Nothing is new with Roddy, everyone knows that he's elite and continues to be on the top of his game. Tony Gonzalez continues to play at a high level even though stats won't show it. He made a huge catch on the game winning drive also was the main reason why Turner's 60 yard screen went for a touchdown.

Still not sold on Michael Turner coming back but its great to see that he still has some value. He was in "bully mode" that I like to call it. I'm not sure if the Redskins run defense is any good but it will be a nice test. Maybe the DWI woke Turner up or the benefit of awful run defenses. Its funny how Turner was getting some big holes but Quizz didn't get much room. Quizz still made some nice catches today and they are using him well in the offense. My big issue with the offense has to be the offensive line. The left side looked good with Baker continuing to play strong and Blalock opening some big holes. Seriously though, did the Falcons sign Wayne Hunter and he wore a Clabo jersey? Tyson Clabo was absolutely pathetic and needs to get a wake up call. I know Johnson is a great defensive end, but Clabo usually handles himself far better. He's been struggling so far this season and today was rock bottom. Hopefully he wakes up next week.

The defense was tough to watch at times but they made the stops when called upon. The run defense was swiss cheese in the first half but played like the 2011 run defense in 2nd half. Stephen Nicholas is slowly becoming a star with the way he's playing. I've really been impressed by the way he's playing. The pass rush is still pretty lackluster but Abraham had some good moments along with Babineaux. The most frustrating thing was the blitz calls by Nolan. He got burned so bad when that screen pass gave Carolina the lead. The blitz packages have given Atlanta some nice success but that play call was horrendous. Defense really didn't have a bad game but by the way they've been playing, you expected better. Secondary really didn't get beat that much other than Moore on Olsen. Moore had a rough game overall. Pretty odd a Falcons game with no interceptions but you have to give credit to Cam playing a great game. Props to Dunta for keeping the turnover streak alive by forcing a great strip on Smith.

These are just some thoughts, I'm sure everyone has an opinion. I'll do this every week although for prime time games or nationally televised, it won't be till the next day.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Wow, Wow,Wow, Wow
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:18 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I'm concerned about Julio Jones. He's our "franchise WR." Okay, I'm not really concerned about Julio himself, just concerned about the situation where it's so easy for teams to take him out of the game.

Carolina just exposed the blueprint to stopping the Falcons. Run the ball, pressure Ryan, double Jones, and if you can just contain Roddy (like say 80 yards) and this team becomes very beatable.

I'm not trying to be negative by any means, but the Falcons relaly had no business winning this game. But they did, pulling the W from their butt. Hopefully the team responds to this win the rest of the way, and this is the sort of adversity you need to respond to. Hopefully come January, they can do similar things.

It's not odd at all that the Falcons didn't have INTs. Relying on turnovers to play good defense is not going to work most games. The Falcons need to figure out ways to get off the field on 3rd downs without relying on TOs. I'm reading tweets during the game where some people are suggesting the Falcons need to get a TO at certain points during the 2nd half. No, the Falcons shouldn't need TOs, they should just need to get stops on 3rd & longs. Sometiems they did today, sometimes they didn't.

This was the sort of game the Falcons needed to have. I was hoping this could wait til after the bye, but sooner may not be a bad thing. The Falcons needed to know that they couldn't just show up and win.

But it appears that the Falcons still may have the same fatal weaknesses from a year ago: their inability to win in the trenches. They've gotten pushed around now there by both the Broncos and Panthers. From the Broncos, it was somewhat understandable. But the Panthers, I was disappointed.

I'm definitely very happy we won this game, and I know it doesn't sound like it reading this post. Hopefully the Falcons respond from this game with a stronger performance vs. Washington. We caught a lot of breaks in this game. Carolina lost this game IMO moreso than Atlanta won it. But there are always games like this. I get that, and that's why I'm not upset about this game. Just hope to see better the rest of the season.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:11 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

:lol: Pudge, every time you post something and preface it with "Im not trying to sound negative here", its almost like the boy who cried wolf. Not to mention, it ALWAYS is negative. :beef: On the other hand, we absolutely had no business winning that game, but we did. Im just gonna put it down as the Football Gods smiled upon us and move on. RG3 is next then the hapless Raiders? Anyone say 6-0 at the bye??? :fingersx:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:08 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge, if you double team Julio Roddy will light you up! You can't single cover Roddy, he's too fricken good. This is the first time in years Roddy's had single coverage and you can see the results, 169 yards and two td's! Our o is virtually unstoppable. As for the D, the real problem we had was with Newton running, and don't forget the one TD was a fluke, we Decoud went off sides and most of our guys stopped. We are an elite team :up:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:11 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I don't think people should take what Pudge said harsh. You can say same thing about the Giants. If you double Cruz, then limit Nicks to 80 yards they are very beatable. The fact is can teams really do that and make it work for all 4 quarters? It's going to be handful to stop the Falcons this year, we all know that.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:47 am 

I know it's cliche to say "I'm not being negative, I'm just being realistic." But I do think it's funny that will always be construed as negative even when it is realism.

The Falcons had more trouble with the Panthers today than they should have. Was it because the Panthers played very well today, or was it because the Falcons did not? Who knows the answer.

But I don't think it's negativity to point out that our much ballyhooed "new and improved" O-line play was abysmal today. The D-line got no pressure on Newton except when we blitz.

The fact that we got so thoroughly dominated in the trenches by a Panther team that is not particularly strong in the trenches is worrisome to me.

I guess part of it, is that for me this season is ALL ABOUT winning in January. This team looks like it could easily win 12 or 13 games in the regular season, but it's all pretty much moot if this team can't win 1 game in January. And if you cannot get the job don't vs. Carolina, does that give you a lot of hope for January?

I don't want to suggest that the sky is falling. But I guess because of my initial concerns going into this season about their lack of depth, their issues up front on both sides of the ball, etc. now coupled with the idea that this defense struggles to stop teams unless they generate turnovers, and it just feels like the Falcons are skating on some fairly thin ice.

What happens if Roddy twists his ankle? Then if opponents double Julio, what is this offense going to look like then? And I realize that other people don't think about those things. They see a Top 5 offense coupled with a highly-ranked defense and a 4-0 record and for them it's about "enjoying the ride."

With my superior brain :king: it just doesn't work that way... :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:06 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

The "blueprint" is why the Falcons need legit 3 and 4 receivers. Then if teams double Julio, you have lots of ways to beat them. I'm hoping they get these guys next year (along with TE, DE, DT, RB...hmmmm).

Right now it looks like matchups will mean a lot in the playoffs. Teams that can get pressure with 4, no bueno.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:34 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I agree with you, Pudge, to a degree. When JJ went out in the SD game we suddenly seemed to stall. MR really has an embarassment of riches at the skill positions and maybe all those dollars not spent elsewhere like on the line and D will scuttle the blue print. But there are "upsets" every week in this league. How often in MR going to throw an INT in the EZ? Claybo really got abused Sunday but perhaps they get it straightened out. GB's line looked just about as bad against the Seahawks the other day.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:32 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Again, I believe that part of the problem with JJ is that his hand is a bigger problem than we've been led to believe. I believe that he is mostly on the field to serve as a decoy at this point. That said, JJ missed another big opportunity on Sunday by stepping out of bounds. His time will come.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:11 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
I'm not trying to be negative by any means

Hate to break it to you, but you're always negative. :D

Good teams find ways to win even when they aren't playing at their best. You won't like it, but the Falcons are a good team.

They're not going to go undefeated, and I'm sure you're chomping at the bit to rip them a new one when they lose their first game. It's okay, it's expected of you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:52 am 

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Good teams find ways to win. Football isn't a beauty contest, winning ugly is still winning. Be happy for a change.

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Hate to break it to you, but you're always negative. :D

Good teams find ways to win even when they aren't playing at their best. You won't like it, but the Falcons are a good team.

They're not going to go undefeated, and I'm sure you're chomping at the bit to rip them a new one when they lose their first game. It's okay, it's expected of you.

Posts like this is exactly what I'm talking about. See, talking about football makes me happy. Good or bad.

There's this silly rule that if your favorite team wins a game, the mere suggestion that certain players did not play well or to suggest that they need to improve in certain areas, and you're negative.

Apparently you didn't read this portion of my original post which echoes what you just said:

Pudge wrote:
I'm definitely very happy we won this game, and I know it doesn't sound like it reading this post. Hopefully the Falcons respond from this game with a stronger performance vs. Washington. We caught a lot of breaks in this game. Carolina lost this game IMO moreso than Atlanta won it. But there are always games like this. I get that, and that's why I'm not upset about this game. Just hope to see better the rest of the season.

Saying the Falcons didn't play their best game, and discussing areas of improving isn't being negative. It's being realistic, because that's exactly what happened. It seems like everyone here agrees that they didn't play their best football but the minute you try to open up a discussion about why the team didn't play their best game, you get called being overly negative.

Look, I get that I've earned my reputation over the years. There was a time in my life where I would agree that the W is all that matters. And while I still believe it's primarily a bottom line business, I no longer that think it is the end-all-be-all. How you play is extremely important. Because a season is an organism, it grows, it adapts, it changes. How you play in one game affects how you play in subsequent games, and more importantly how teams play you in subsequent games.

And is this "hiccup" important? Will other better teams now look at the Falcons and think we're a lot more vulnerable?

I say the defense is overrated. They're somewhere in the solid vicinity. That's being too negative! And they follow that up with a mediocre performance vs. Carolina at home.

We have a very good offense, the best we've seen in Atlanta in nearly 15 years. But is this one of the best offenses I've ever seen? No. Is this an elite team? I'm not so sure. We're undefeated and beaten some pretty good teams. But I'd like to see how we fare against the Eagles, Cowboys, and Saints before I'm ready to call us elite.

And for saying that I'm called negative. But that's me just not seeing things as positively as you. It's not negative, it's just less positive. Being at +6 doesn't make you more negative than someone that is at +10. But instead of people just become dismissive of you because if you're not at +10 after the Falcons win, there is something wrong with you, and threads turn from talking about wins/losses to personal vendettas.

Profile E-mail