It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jimmy Williams
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:16 am 
Superstar
Superstar

- I can't even begin to express how happy I was that we got him (doesn't hurt that i went to VT either, lol). Before the draft I felt like we needed another DB above all other positions, and after the run in the first round I started to get a little nervous. Well that fact that we got Abraham with our first and then JWill with the second, well hell, how could we have done any better there? Plus we still have our Vick insurance.

About 1-2 months ago, Kiper had JWill as the 9th best player, I'll repeat that, the 9th best player on the whole draft board. We here and draft analyst at the time were projecting him to our first pick, at 15, not 37 where we got him. The only reason he dropped like a rock was perceived attitude problems. Having followed all the VT games for forever, I just don't see it. The only thing he could be confused with is "athletic arrogance", which is the same thing pep knocked DeLo for, and we see how that turned out. We got the steal of the draft IMO, and now look at our secondary. I mean in two years which CB are you gonna challenge, JWill with the knockout/shutdown potential or DeLo with the shutdown/pick potential. Unbelievable!!

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/column ... columnists

HAMPTON -- Jimmy Williams sweated for more than five hours during Saturday's NFL draft.

Early on, he frowned. He fretted. He fidgeted.

After the 12th selection, Williams retreated to a private area of the huge hotel suite he'd rented to host more than two dozen friends and family members for a draft-day celebration.

After the 22nd pick, he took a drive around Hampton.

The first round came and went, and Williams, a consensus All-American once projected to be a high- to mid-first-round pick, was on the draft board as one of the five best athletes still available.

"He's hurting," James Williams Sr., his father, said. "He doesn't understand why this is happening."

The Williams camp learned this week that questions about Williams' attitude would drop him lower in the draft. Now the free fall was playing itself out on national television.

Williams wasn't the only marquee player still looking for a team. Southern Cal running back LenDale White, who has a national championship ring, was also an NFL player-in-waiting.

But White, the eventual 45th player chosen, was of little concern to the people in the Presidential Suite of Embassy Suites in Hampton.

These were Williams' parents and grandparents, aunts and uncles, friends and cousins and former teammates dating back to peewee football and AAU basketball. They included current Hokies D.J. Parker (Phoebus), Chris Ellis (Bethel) and Brenden Hill (Warwick). They included future Hokie Matt Wright (Phoebus) and Bethel basketball star Duke Crews, who is headed to Tennessee in the fall.

"I want the younger guys to know what's possible for them if they continue to work hard," Williams said. "I think Chris (Ellis, a defensive end) has the potential to be invited to New York next year as one of the top players."

Williams, who played his senior season at Bethel after transferring from Hampton, wanted to share his special day with them all.

But the script wasn't cooperating, so Williams took a car ride to have a talk with the man upstairs - and he wasn't referring to James Williams Sr., who was as shocked and upset as his son.

"After the 22nd pick, I had to leave the hotel; I had to talk to God," Williams said. He said he sought guidance to get him through the draft and to use the experience as a motivator for when he's in the NFL.

"I was at the point where all I wanted was for someone to give me a shot," he said.

Around the same time Elizabeth Williams, Jimmy's mom, was saying her son "would get through this."

"All his life he's had to fight," Elizabeth Williams said. "But that's what makes him strong. That's what makes him the player that he is. That's his gift."

A short time later, the Williams' prayers would be answered, and it was like a script written by Virginia Tech drama students.

Williams was going to play football for the Atlanta Falcons, whose roster already includes several former Hokies, including quarterback Michael Vick and Williams' former teammates Bryan Randall and DeAngelo Hall.

The Falcons had traded up to pick No. 37 so they could select Williams.

When Williams came into Suite 1030 and shouted, "I'm going to the ATL," the room erupted as if the Hokies had won the national championship.

He was going to the NFL's Hokie Heaven.

"I think God put me there," Williams said. "I always said all things happen for a reason. I'm just glad (Atlanta) coach (Jim) Mora came and got me."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:29 am 
Superstar
Superstar

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01416.html

Few talent evaluators had questioned Willams's playing ability. During his last two seasons at Virginia Tech, he amassed 104 tackles, 19 pass break-ups and 6 interceptions. He started for three seasons, first at free safety and then as a cornerback. At 6 feet 3, he packages a tantalizing combination of size and speed: a 206-pounder who runs the 40-yard dash in 4.36 seconds.

Williams said he looked forward to playing in Atlanta, largely because he will reunite with former Virginia Tech defensive back DeAngelo Hall. When Williams visited Virginia Tech as a prospective student, Hall hosted him. They became close friends, and Williams traveled to Atlanta to visit Hall in December.

"My boy is there, man, and that gets me excited," Williams said. "I couldn't be more excited about Atlanta. I'm not complaining about the result, man. I just can't believe it took so long."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:28 pm 

I really do think that Williams & White where the two best value picks in this draft. Both projected to go in the first (Williams early and White late) but slid into the 2nd round. The Falcons really won with this pick and when you combine Williams with our off-season aquasitions of Abraham, Milloy, and Crocker we get all gold stars for this off-season.

The only reservation I have about Williams is the tweener tag he has. He could play safety or corner and clearly we want him at corner to work with Hall. The question is does he immediatly get to start or will he work the nickel until Webster blows up or gets injured? Because Webster is the only guy in front of Williams I believe Williams gets at least 4 to 5 starts on the low end. Hopefully he shakes the tweener tag and excels at the corner spot.

I'm not worried about Williams attitude because of a few articles I've read in regards to Hall and Williams. The best I can gather is that Hall was a true mentor for Williams and when he left VT Williams just got cocky and shook some of the discipline that Hall taught him. How that they are back together I expect Williams focus and effort to be where it should be.

Above all else Williams and Hall will be incredibly competitive trying to prove to each other how good they are. As long as this doesn't result in selfish play I think it is great.

Post subject: JW@
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:13 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Dirty, I can tell you this. JW was talking alot about D. Hall and what he had told him when they worked out together in Arizona. Hall said "keep your mouth shut" and every word out of JW's mouth was that he intended to do EXACTLY what D. Hall told him, and this was before the draft. With Hall next to him I think he will learn first hand from a really close friend and we will have the two best corners in the league for several years to come (and maybe then we can hear both of them talk trash :twisted: ).

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:10 am 

Best quote never heard by DeLo:

"My coach says I own you!"

Captured only because the camera was on DeLo while he was getting on T.O. after the Iggles game. :)