It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pat Y Says Something Smart?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:31 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Wow Pat couldn't be more spot on. Good job Pat it only took four years for an article I completely agree about.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_ ... -lofton-go

Three games into the season, I think it’s become obvious why the Atlanta Falcons didn’t re-sign middle linebacker Curtis Lofton to a big-money contract.

There was no sense paying him a high salary if they weren’t going to use him in the new defensive scheme of coordinator Mike Nolan. I just went back through play-time counts for the first three games and it’s quite obvious the Falcons aren’t using a middle linebacker much at all.

Second-year pro Akeem Dent is in Lofton’s old position in the middle, but the Falcons are barely using him. Instead, they’re keeping outside linebackers Sean Weatherspoon and Stephen Nicholas on the field all the time and using three cornerbacks almost all the time.

Let’s take a run through each game. In the season opener at Kansas City, Dent was on the field for 16 of Atlanta’s 69 defensive plays (11 percent). Weatherspoon and Nicholas participated in every play. Cornerback Asante Samuel also took part in every play. Cornerback Dunta Robinson was on the field 84 percent of the time and cornerback Brent Grimes was in for 75 percent of the plays before suffering a season-ending injury.

In Week 2 against Denver, Dent played only one of Atlanta’s 73 defensive plays (1 percent). Nicholas, Weatherspoon and Robinson each played every play. Samuel, who briefly was banged up) was on the field for 97 percent of the plays. In that game, Chris Owens took over as the nickel back, but suffered a concussion early in the game. Dominique Franks took his place and participated in 82 percent of the plays.

In Week 3 at San Diego, Dent got his most extensive playing time, but it still wasn’t a lot. Dent was on the field for 20 of Atlanta’s 56 defensive plays (36 percent). Nicholas, Weatherspoon, Samuel and Robinson took part in every defensive play. Franks was on the field for 64 percent of the defensive plays.

In fairness to Lofton, I just looked at New Orleans’ play counts for the first three games of the season. Lofton has participated in every defensive play.

That’s proof that Lofton can be a three-down linebacker -- in the right system. The Saints are paying him an average of $5.5 million a season. He wasn’t going to be an every-down linebacker in Atlanta anymore, so there was no sense in the Falcons paying him big money to be a part-time player.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Pat Y Says Something Smart?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:02 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yeah, I don't think they had problems with Curtis...just the money and "cost per play." He has been on the field a lot in NO and their D has been shaky, right? Again, not his fault entirely by any means. ATL is at present one of the older teams in the league, i think, so we have to expect vets getting pared away. TG, McLure and Peterson along with maybe Bryant probably tip the scales a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:52 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Dent was on the field for 16 of Atlanta’s 69 defensive plays (11 percent).

Pat might want to go back to math class. 16 out of 69 is 23%.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:56 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I think he has it backwards. Dent was on the field for 11 plays, which is 16% of 69. Profootball focus had Dent's play count for Week 1 at 12, which I think includes plays negated by penalties.

The Falcons made the right decision not paying Lofton. He was non-essential personnel, and you don't really need to pay those guys more than $3-4 million/yr. like we signed with DeCoud and Nicholas.

I've criticized the Nicholas signing before, because they hardly played him last year (less than 300 snaps). It seems like it is working out now, although I doubt this was Nolan/TD's plan from the start. I do think they aren't going to be able to make it through an entire season playing nickel 85% of the time.

That feels odd in some way. Almost as if they are playing so much nickel that they are afraid to put the base package defense on the field.

If this trend continues, then the Falcons are going to have to completely revamp their defensive personnel next year.

Profile E-mail