It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: a question about screens..
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:19 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge probably knows where to get the stats, but how many RB screens did we run last week?

I saw WR screens, and was that one dropped pass to FB Polite a screenpass?

I understand Turner is never going to be a threat with his hands, but Quizz and Snelling have very good hands..

Is this a case of matchups, that KC was just more susceptable or stronger in coverage, or that we really dont intend to use the RB screen as much as the WR screen?

Post subject: Re: a question about screens..
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:23 am 
Superstar
Superstar

From what I saw in the preseason, we had a lot of ineligible men down field on our RB screens. The replacement refs didn't seem to catch it. However, that doesn't mean that the coaching staff didn't. Perhaps they are shelving the RB screen till they have run it a bit more in practice.

Post subject: Re: a question about screens..
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:04 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

No, I don't know where to get the stats. It may be the case with other teams, but whoever does the official gamebooks found on NFL.com for the Falcons doesn't include the type of pass in their play-by-play breakdowns.

So really, until Pat Y makes a visit to ESPN Stats & Analysis, or whatever and tells us, I have no clue.

I could wager a guess. Ryan threw only 3 passes to RBs in Week 1. Off the top of my head, I do not believe the dropped pass to Polite was a screen, just a normal dump into the flat. Maybe one of the 2 passes that went to Quizz was a screen, but I cannot recall.

I don't think the RB screen would be as effective when there is no pass rush. The Chiefs couldn't put any real pressure on Ryan all day, so the RB screen probably wouldn't have worked. That probably won't be the case this week with the Broncos front.

And to clarify, it's not that Turner is bad on screens. A well executed screen, Turner can be extremely effective if he's able to build a head of steam. The problem is that without that perfect execution, he doesn't really add anything to it. With a quicker back like Quizz, who you can feel confident will make a defender miss in space, there is less pressure on your OL to hit all of their blocks.

And so calling a screen with Turner is not a waste, but it's also not the best decision for that particular play.

Profile E-mail