Zgonina an option at DT?

Discuss your favorite team: the Atlanta Falcons. As well as all NFL and pro football-related topics, including fantasy football.

Moderators: Capologist, dirtybirdnw, thescout

Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Zgonina an option at DT?

Postby Pudge » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:54 am

Jeff Zgonina is on the trade block. He's 35, and the Dolphins are asking for a 3rd round choice, but I doubt they will get that. They'd be lucky to get a 5th round pick for him. Which I think I would be willing to send to them.

Zgonina is no stud, but he's a steady nose tackle that gets the job done. He's been here in Atlanta before (1996). I think he would be a good addition to the team. He could keep the seat warm for Lavalais. Ideally, Zgonina is best served as a #3 DT, but when asked to start in recent years, he has come through. He's started 57 of 79 games since 2000, and has 214 tackles and 11 sacks since then.

I really don't think the Falcons should trade for him, because it would seem the Dolphins will cut him come March. But I think right now, he'd probably be a good fit as a Free agent pickup at DT. I still want this team to go after New England's Rodney Bailey. He is probably one of the bigger sleepers in this FA class.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

Return to “The Huddle”