It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Week 1 2011, Worth the Agony
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:24 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

While I watch the replay of this game to see whether I made it on tv (among other things), I have a little extra time to tell you guys about the experience I had at the game.

First off, I want to say that Kansas City, Missouri has got to be one of the most underrated cities in America. I really enjoyed myself and I haven't had a good time like that in a long while. They're a big metro area, yet there seems to be a mellow pace about it.

Of course, with me being the Falcon fanatic that I am, my wife and I bypassed all the tailgating to get into the stadium as early as possible. It was a very relaxed atmosphere, so we entered at the first place we could. This led to us finding the seats directly behind the visiting team's bench. As you can imagine, I was able to see the usual; player warm-ups, the big wigs and such.

But to my surprise, I was able to get Thomas Dimitroff's attention. "TD!! Can you take a pic with me?" After he joked about not being tall enough, he strolled over, shook my hand and I got a pic with him. He also signed the brand new snapback I was wearing. Even with this , I was disappointed to find out that I had just missed Thomas DeCoud signing the flag of a fan in the same spot I was standing. But I still was able to get good shots and videos of warm-ups.

To describe my seats: The Falcons where headed in my direction on their first drive. My seats where behind the goal post but catty-corner. (I hope you guys can follow that)

Now to the good stuff...

About the 2:30 mark of the 4th quarter, my wife and I headed back to the section behind the Falcons' bench. This was possible because, of course, most Chiefs fans where gone.

Once we got there, we were taking pics of the players on the bench and I noticed Todd McClure trying to communicate with someone standing behind me:"Where's his dad?", he said as he was pointing to Sam Baker. So I turn around and there's this older guy with Falcons gear on standing with some guy in a Chiefs jersey.

I asked if he was Sam Bakers' dad, and he told me he wasn't, he was Todd McClure's dad. I couldn't believe it. Of course, I asked if he could maybe get me and autograph and he said it might be possible, just follow him after the game was done, but he couldn't promise anything. I was blown away that he would even attempt to do that for me because most people could care less about someone being a fan of their relative. Either that, or their just snobs who won't even speak to guys like me. But he was really cool. I mean, he cracked jokes about Sam Baker's dad being the biggest guy he knows, and even liked the nickname I gave him: Mud Duck, Sr.

Once the clock hit triple zeros, my wife and I followed him around the stadium on the way out as he asked staff where the visiting players' gate was. Once we found it we waited for the Falcons to come out.

Not only did Todd McClure sign my snapback, but so did Julio Jones, Jaquizz Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Stephen Nicholas, and Sean Weatherspoon. Harry Douglas and Brent Grimes signed my shirt (he looked really down because of the injury. I could see in his eyes that he'd be done for a while, even though he told me he'd be ok when I asked him). Thomas DeCoud signed a card that was given to us before the game by a Chiefs fan, ironically enough. I got pictures with all of them except Julio, but the pic I got of him, I can be seen in. LoL.

Tony Gonzalez was out there as well, but I chose not to bother him because he seemed so overwhelmed with his family being out there and all the fans screaming his name and all that. I didn't want to contribute to that.

I saw a lot of other players, as well as Mike Smith, but of course, not all of them came to sign stuff and take pictures.

I was very appreciative because that actually wasn't the purpose of the players' gate. It was for family members only and you can tell the players were only looking to talk with their family members and friends, but they still decided to show us some love. So I want you guys to know that for the most part, our team cares about their fans. None of them acted like pricks.

If guys wanna see the pics, here they are:http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152106384545245.912461.636845244&type=1&l=311edd0060

I could not have had a better time, I hope you guys enjoy the album.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Week 1 2011, Worth the Agony
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:56 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Cool album.

And this is definitely worthy of going into the Huddle.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:00 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Awesome stuff CJN. You are one lucky guy! Thanks for representing for the rest of us. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:39 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Pudge wrote:
Cool album.

The post or the album??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:20 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

:clap:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:46 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Nice job!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:29 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cool story. Road games are more fun than home games when you win! You deserve after last year. Wasn't the CHI game last year your first ever? Nice collection of pictures. Like the old school lid....and that guitarist in band was wearing a TG #88!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:06 am 

Confess_Jesus_Now wrote:
Pudge wrote:
Cool album.

The post or the album??

Post. People can check out the album themselves in facebook if they are willing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:57 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

backnblack wrote:
Cool story. Road games are more fun than home games when you win! You deserve after last year. Wasn't the CHI game last year your first ever? Nice collection of pictures. Like the old school lid....and that guitarist in band was wearing a TG #88!

Yeah it was my first experience last year. Which made the loss that much more hurtful. I mean they coulda scored just 1 offensive TD. Smh.

Profile E-mail