It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Draft
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:07 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Okay, I got in a little while ago from the Braves' game and caught up with everything that I missed in the draft today. I have to say, when I heard at the game that we got Jimmy Williams I was stoked. I think with him on the opposite side of Hall, we are set. As for Norwood, I like it too. I wasn't too keen on drafting a RB, but I think he's a good one and is fast as anything. I wouldn't be shocked to see TJ dealt tomorrow for a 4th rounder. Anyway, it's late...or early depending on how you look at it so I am off to bed. I'll see you guys later on Sunday.

Go Falcons!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:16 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

One more thing.

Here's a question and answer from the Falcons' website. Looks like we are looking OL tomorrow.
http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/article.jsp?id=11802

Q: Picks five through seven, can you find some players who you'd be as comfortable with as you are with the likes of Boley and Shropshire from last year?
McKay: Yes. I think we do. And I think that we think we can find some guys who can help us on special teams, which is the way they make it onto the team. Because quite frankly the way it's going now with the guys we've added in the offseason when you look at Abraham..in the first day [of the Draft], really, we've got John Abraham, Jimmy Williams and you've got Jerious Norwood. You're happy with the first day. Course, now you get into the second day and we got Chris Crocker in the fourth round. We're happy to have Chris Crocker. He's the starting free safety, so we're happy there. And then in the fifth, sixth and seventh round you've got to look at it and say, 'Can we get some guys, number one, if there are some offensive linemen we like, or number two, some guys on special teams who can make the team. Because it gets hard to make the team. 53 becomes a tougher number this year than it was last year.

Mora: I think when you come into the Draft, you have to say our first-round pick was John [Abraham] and our fourth-round pick was [Chris] Crocker. That's pretty good. And that's the reality of it.

McKay: And the first-round pick is not a holdout. So we've got that going for us. So that works out. And part of that trade -- the key to that trade -- is that we got the extra third-round pick, because that gave us the ability to get Jimmy Williams. Because if we don't have that pick, we can't get Jimmy Williams. So that worked out okay, going from 15 to 37 and having the ability to get him. That worked out okay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:56 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Things are looking sooooooooo good! Despite the picture the media paints, we that know our Falcons knows we are completely set for a run at the playoffs,...at least!

Post subject: Draft summary
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:31 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

1R - Jimmy Williams, CB
2R - John Abraham, DE ( plus 4R in 2007)

The logic is that if we had kept the 15th pick we would have selected Williams. Therefore the extra 3R choice we aquired from the Denver trade-down in 1R and used to trade-up was a wash and the 4R next year is a bonus. From this perspective Abraham was aquired for the equivilent of the 47th pick.

3R - Jerious Norwood, RB
4R - Chris Crocker, S
5R - Quinn Ojennaka, T

It seems Ojennaka would have been there 9 picks later without the tradeup so this was a non-factor in the trading. Too bad Pat Watkins went the pick before (to Dallas) or this may have been an interesting pick. I was hoping for Charlie Peprah/Alabama or Jeff King/VTech with this pick but I gues OL was a priority. Eslinger, Setterstrom, Toudouze were still on the board. Fingers crossed to grab one of those or one of the following: Eric Henderson, D.J. Shockley, Gerald Riggs, and another Virgina Tech player - Jonathan Lewis, Jimmy Martin, Cedric Humes, or William Montgomery.

Post subject: Is Dan Reeves picking for us on Day 2?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:32 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

Adam Jennings? Is Dan Reeves picking for us today?
Career Totals Receiving
SEASON REC YDS AVG TD
2005 22-278-12.6-3
2004 22-280-12.7-5
2003 11-118-10.7-0
2002 34-310-9.1-1

Post subject: Re: Is Dan Reeves picking for us on Day 2?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:02 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

spongebob wrote:
Adam Jennings? Is Dan Reeves picking for us today?
Career Totals Receiving
SEASON REC YDS AVG TD
2005 22-278-12.6-3
2004 22-280-12.7-5
2003 11-118-10.7-0
2002 34-310-9.1-1

Perhaps they're looking at him as a return man. Seems his return yardage was more impressive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:48 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

But it's not that impressive. He never scored on a return.

Profile E-mail