It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Depressed?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:03 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

In the shout box on this great site,...a guy or gal typed in,..."it must be a boring draft for Falcons fans." See?,...we do pay attention.;)

And ya know?,...after thinking about that all week leading up to today?,...I find myself a little depressed.

Here we are lowly Falcons fans,...we've been called dreamers, we've been accused of using drugs(as we often must do just to be able to handle the perrennial losing), all sorts of things. And now we're looking at another draft day w/o a 1st round pick.

Our future has been traded away as cited by the media,...we're ranked 22nd in a useless power poll,...we have a lightweight offensive line that can't protect a QB that's injury prone,...we acquired three starters through free agency and now those players were overpaid and really aren't that good to begin with, although two of them are All-Pros,...our running back is too small to run between the tackles,...the defensive line is lightweight and can't handle the larger interior linemen blocking them,...the wide receivers weren't worth 1st round considerations,...and Matt Schaub isn't worth a crap to wind this whining by the media up for now.

But getting back to my misery.lol Man,...it hurts to know the Crows won't pick their guy at 47 until after about 6 hours when the draft starts today. There's an empty feeling in my gut due to this,...so,...when ya hurt, ya often direct blame and that blame is directed at,...lol no one. Who cares that we don't have a pick in the first round? Who gives a rats you know what that some erudite wannabe elitist in the media ranks our Crows so ridiculously low? Who cares what Paul Newberry or Vic Carucci writes? We have to be calm in the thought that we are set as a team.

Rich McKay put it very simply that the roster for the Falcons has NO OPENING POSITIONS for a rookie,...EVEN if he was the 15th choice in the draft, the spot the Crows were sposed to be in until the Abraham deal. How many teams around the league can claim that? It's called consistency my friends.

If the Falcons were the Patriots, the media would be gushing that they are a model of consistency,...not requiring the draft to prepare the roster for the upcoming season. They'd give the New England Falcons the usual pass and one must ask why this inconsistency from the media regarding different NFL franchises. You all know my stance on that one!lol

<sigh> anyway,...it's a dark, dark day for Falcons fans. Hopefully the passing camps start soon and then training camp so we can have a life again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:53 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

Ummm...yeah. We traded away our first rounder for an all-pro. It may make the draft less interesting according to some people, but we do get to invest money in one of the best DEs in the NFL instead of an unproven rookie.
As for Mckay's comments? How about Haoli Ngata at DT? Is he really going to sit behind Lavalais?
The 2006 Falcons starters will be very capable, but with Lavalais and Crocker especially starting, there are still questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:59 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Well fact is, no matter how great your D is, you're not going to have 11 great starters. Look at the Bears, they don't have great playmakers at DT, SLB, or SS, but if your key playmakers play to their potential, they essentially work like 2 defenders in the body of 1.

I think the key for our defense will be getting Pro Bowl years from 4 or 5 players that are capable of it. I'm concerned a bit with Crocker, but more because of a lack of depth.

Lavalais is the starter, but he's entering his 3rd year in the league. DTs usually don't start to get going untl their 3rd or 4th year. Plus with our rotation, starting at DT is not a huge deal.

I am concerned, but if the rest of the guys step up, weaknesses at those positions can be covered.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:18 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Pudge, I don't know how long we will have to worry about having enough depth at S. Jimmy Williams could easily step into that role if necessary. I know most of us would rather see him at CB opposite DHall, but he seems like a Sean Taylor-type guy at cover safety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:31 am 

I agree with your assessment of Williams. But I think the coaching staff wants him to play cornerback, and he's not going to have the time or ability to work at two separate positions during training camp. He can really only be one or the other. He can't be our nickel cornerback and our dime safety at the same time. Not to mention that Milloy may only have 2 decent years left in him.

I'm just saying drafting starters for the near future should not be on the Falcons minds especially with only 3 late round picks. You draft for depth and the future, and use free agency to fill immediate needs in starting positions.

Profile E-mail