All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Asante Samuel could be sliding out of the starting lineup
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:03 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Asante Samuel could be sliding out of the starting lineup

Posted by Mike Florio on August 21, 2012, 8:08 PM EDT

AP
Asante Samuel likes to talk. This year, he could be doing plenty of it from the sidelines.

Samuel currently is stuck behind Dunta Robinson on the official depth chart, second string on the right side. Making the status even less desirable for Samuel is that he prefers the left side.

But Brent Grimes is the starter on the left side. When the Falcons deploy three corners, Robinson plays the slot, and Grimes and Samuel alternate on the left and right sides.

“Of course, that is where I made my living,” Samuel said regarding the left side, according to D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal Constitution. “All my production came from the left. It’s going good. It’s a new thing for me, switching back and forth, trying to get my mojo right. All is good. The coaches are going to do what they think is best.”

Coach Mike Smith is keeping his cards close to the vest. “As we move closer to the start of the regular season, we’ll be making that decision,” Samuel said. “Again, I think it’s to our advantage to keep that in-house in terms of how we want to deploy our corners.”

While Samuel prefers the left side, he was frozen by a stutter step and then burned for a 50-yard touchdown pass by Bengals receiver A.J. Green.

The Falcons have given no indication that Samuel could be in trouble of not making the team, but we’re getting closer to the day when there will be inevitable surprises as rosters get slashed from 90 to 53.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ng-lineup/

*Fun Gus* note: I got this from this Eagles board, where I go every now and then to sit back with some popcorn and watch them go through what we all went through years ago. It's hilarious. I know, it's childish and not very nice to point and laugh, but c'mon they are Eagles Fans after all.

http://boards.philadelphiaeagles.com/to ... on-samuel/

or this one is a true gem, complete with pictures:

http://boards.philadelphiaeagles.com/to ... at-off-ol/

:rofl:

Post subject: Re: Asante Samuel could be sliding out of the starting lineu
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:52 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Well, to be fair, they are right, Vick has horrible pocket presence.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:13 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
The Falcons have given no indication that Samuel could be in trouble of not making the team, but we’re getting closer to the day when there will be inevitable surprises as rosters get slashed from 90 to 53.

To even insinuate that Samuel is not going to make the team is tabloid journalism at it's best.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:54 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

RobertAP wrote:
Well, to be fair, they are right, Vick has horrible pocket presence.

yet read some of the undefensible stuff posted there!! It's almost word for word from the Falconsroost circa 2006. The circle of life continues.

"All I can come up with is that maybe our other QB's aren't total wusses like Vick.
Pull yourself week one over a finger that wasn't broken.
Pull yourself week two over a rib that wasn't broken.
Add in the fact that a rookie, Nick Foles, took a much harder hit and got right up without missing a play.

Face it people, Vick got paid. He doesn't care what happens now, he got paid. Yet he is too dumb to realize that we can dump him after this season. Once a scumbag always a scumbag...

Man, we've come along way from Donovan McNabb throwing 4 TD on a broken leg.

I love people that call Vick tough. It's almost as dumb as calling him smart. It's almost as dumb as calling him a good QB."

:lol: good times, good times....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:01 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Glad to see some Philly fans agree with us. Perhaps we're not all that alien to one another after all.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:22 am 
Superstar
Superstar

From another thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17356

Me:
one8swayze wrote:
I wasn't here, so I don't know how y'all felt about the Asante signing when it first took place. I was against it, because I thought that it meant either:

A) Yay, another year of soft zone on 3rd and 3's...f***.

B) Yay, a past his prime (not his fault. it happens to all of us) CB getting TOASTED TO HELL on single coverage fly routes...f***

Ganted, I didn't see the first game, but my fears looked reasonable tonight. Please please please please please tell me I'm wrong

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:24 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I didn't see anything tonight that sent up red flags for me regarding Asante. Quite the opposite really... He made some darn nice tackles.

Our secondary really looks pretty good at this point. Sure, they gave up some plays tonight, but the coverage was tight. Miami had to earn just about every reception.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:10 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I don't think he's getting cut either. The simple reality is this, Grimes is our #1 so he's gonna play where he wants. Then when looking at the other two Asante has more experience and has played well as a nickel, where Dunta well not so much. In this league and on this defense Asante will be on the field for at least 70% of defensive snaps. I also think we may have him spot fill for our other two cb's to give teams other looks to worry about. Let's face it, for the first time in a long time our problem isn't having too few cb's but too many!!! What a great problem to have :dance: :dance:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:03 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Asante is a terrible tackler. He did make a nice stop in the open field against the Dolphins, which is a rarity for him. I've been watching tape of him from last year, and I'll probably put up a scouting report tomorrow or Monday on the site's main page.

He's not going to get cut. It's people outside of the know trying to draw strands. They believe that because Asante is not the everydown starter, it means he's lost something. No, it's the fact that his skillset is ideally suited to being a nickel corner at this point in his career, which is why there's no a chance in hell he'll be cut by this team that they are missing.

Asante is absolutely terrible in run support. One of the softest NFL players I've seen from the 3 Eagles games I've watched so far. Doesn't want any part of playing the run. Is one of the least technically sound tacklers I've watched on tape in my life. The only ones that compare are soft 175-pound college corners. When he's not going to "Ole!" to the ballcarrier, he's ducking his head (thus never seeing what he hits, and putting his football playing career in danger) and just flops/dives in front of the ballcarrier, hoping to trip him up.

The other issue I have with Asante is he is a bit of a gambler and will give up some easy receptions from time to time because of how much cushion he gives receivers. I've seen that with many of the receptions he gave up last year. The positive is I haven't seen that side of Asante so far this preseason. We'll see if that stays the case into the regular season...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:06 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge I think you are watching it wrong. You should watch Asante from 2009 or 2010. It was clear that last year he quit at times during the year and didn't really care. He ripped the fan base mid season and I don't think it would be smart to rate him off last season.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:06 am 

I'm going to rate him off last year because it's the most relevant to his skillset. If I wanted to rate Matt Ryan and whether or not he'll have a good 2012 season, then his performance in 2011 is most relevant, as opposed to what he did in 2009 or 2010. Now if there are extenuating circumstances that would lead me to believe that Samuel was not his "true self" in 2011, then I'll adjust accordingly. But when you scout a player, you don't dismiss the most relevant/recent information. Because at the end of the day, Samuel was still one of the most productive corners in the league last year, so despite quitting he still was a pretty good player.

Profile E-mail