It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Matt Ryan
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:49 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Ryan has looked pretty good so far. Aside from the nifty stats, 27-34 329 yards and a QB rating of 110.05, it looks like he is making the right decision with the ball and putting it in places to where only his receiver can make a play on the ball.

Some still question his arm strength, but it isn't about the 45 yard bomb down the field. It's about the 20-25 yarder and letting the talented receiver group do the work. It could be a very, very exciting team to watch this year!

(Angry is getting excited for the real season to begin!)

Post subject: Re: Matt Ryan
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:11 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

That throw to Julio was on the money, it was a shame that he couldn't come up to it. Few plays later, Julio made a 20 yard catch so all was well.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:11 pm 

I would like to know what was running through Ryan's head after his 10 yard sprint backwards and eventual pass to Turner (I think) for a 7 yard loss. Just throw the rock away big guy.

Otherwise I do like what Ryan is doing so far and has shown growth in most aspects of his game.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:08 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

dirtybirdnw wrote:
I would like to know what was running through Ryan's head after his 10 yard sprint backwards and eventual pass to Turner (I think) for a 7 yard loss. Just throw the rock away big guy.

Otherwise I do like what Ryan is doing so far and has shown growth in most aspects of his game.

^this. I only saw about 10 minutes of the game, and it included this play that just made me go "what are you doing?!?!"

The stats are nice, however, hope this is something that will translate to the regular season.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:17 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

There's no doubt Ryan will produce good numbers. I did notice last night, as Pat Y pointed out in another post that many of his early throws were shorter ones.

To me the big question is going to be whether or not this team is going to be aggressive early in games, or are they gonna continue the more conservative, let's let the game come to us and develop over the course of 4 quarters. I thought we came out firing vs. Baltimore, but were a bit more relaxed vs. Cincinnati.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:51 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
There's no doubt Ryan will produce good numbers. I did notice last night, as Pat Y pointed out in another post that many of his early throws were shorter ones.

To me the big question is going to be whether or not this team is going to be aggressive early in games, or are they gonna continue the more conservative, let's let the game come to us and develop over the course of 4 quarters. I thought we came out firing vs. Baltimore, but were a bit more relaxed vs. Cincinnati.

But credit that to Matt Ryan. The intermediate routes were being taken away early by a decent Bengal defense. Julio was triple covered....Ryan read his progressions nicely (under pressure I might add), made the correct decision and made the throws.

There is a distinct difference between Ryan's short throws last year and his ones last night.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:13 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Things are looking good offensivly. Both Cincy and Baltimore have tough D's and we moved the ball effectivly on each of them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:36 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Only one poor decision from Ryan on the pass to Douglas for -7. Other than that, he looked very good. The pass that Jones missed was on the money. I think that Jones got held up a bit on that play, he was looking for a flag afterwards. (I'm not referring to the pass that he did draw the PI call on)

Ryan's the real deal. 4600 yards and 35 TDs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:14 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

RobertAP wrote:
Only one poor decision from Ryan on the pass to Douglas for -7. Other than that, he looked very good. The pass that Jones missed was on the money. I think that Jones got held up a bit on that play, he was looking for a flag afterwards. (I'm not referring to the pass that he did draw the PI call on)
Ryan's the real deal. 4600 yards and 35 TDs.

It seemed pretty clear on the replay that Hall had JJ's right arm held up.

Green has great body control, but JJ is really a freakin tank out there.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:38 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Pudge wrote:

But credit that to Matt Ryan. The intermediate routes were being taken away early by a decent Bengal defense. Julio was triple covered....Ryan read his progressions nicely (under pressure I might add), made the correct decision and made the throws.

There is a distinct difference between Ryan's short throws last year and his ones last night.

totally agree about that. Wonder to where the credit ( besides Ryan) goes? Is this because of DK? His 'core' bulkup? Better chemistry with the receivers? Or a total of all the above. :?:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:13 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Well Fun Gus, there will be probably be a lot of speculation on this, but I think that it's pretty obvious that our play selection and design is better than it has been in years past.

I'm sure that those who supported Mularkey will look for every other reason in the world to take credit away from the OC change. Some of us have consistently said that Ryan could be a great QB, and that he has all of the pieces to mount a great passing attack. Problem was that our OC was a high school run game OC. Under Mularkey Ryan was never going to develop into a top QB.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:43 pm 

Before we start breaking out the KY jelly and the French ticklers, let's remember it is preseason. The same rules don't apply. Defenses aren't scheming against us.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:01 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Pudge wrote:
Before we start breaking out the KY jelly and the French ticklers, let's remember it is preseason. The same rules don't apply. Defenses aren't scheming against us.

Always the hopeless romantic...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:30 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

It's good to finally get some good quotes from u guys about Matt Ryan.

But then again, he has been playing a lot better, so it's warranted.

Profile E-mail