It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I will say this...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:56 pm 

I love the vertical offense and Matt Ryan is showing his value. I also love Quizz. Want to see him featured this season. Here's hoping Koetter can make Quizz the latest version of MJD.

Post subject: Re: I will say this...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:05 pm 

Our 2nd string defense is pretty terrible though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:40 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I like Travian Robertson, Antione Smith looks super fast and shows the ability to be a nice player in space I would love to see him get some first team reps just to see how he stacks up against top tier competition. Also LaMark Brown could be a match up nightmare if he learns how to block.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:34 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Garrett Reynolds is the starting RG again. I'm not sure how successful the season can be if that doesn't change.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:35 am 
Superstar
Superstar

dirtybirdnw wrote:
Our 2nd string defense is pretty terrible though.

That was the first string.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:45 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I wasn't here, so I don't know how y'all felt about the Asante signing when it first took place. I was against it, because I thought that it meant either:

A) Yay, another year of soft zone on 3rd and 3's...f***.

B) Yay, a past his prime (not his fault. it happens to all of us) CB getting TOASTED TO HELL on single coverage fly routes...f***

Ganted, I didn't see the first game, but my fears looked reasonable tonight. Please please please please please tell me I'm wrong :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:56 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

We got to see the bad side of Asante tonight. He got aggressive, biting on a double move and got beat for the big gain. Probably against a lesser receiver, he might have been able to make up for it, but once Green gets a step on you, you're not going to win. He's as good a vertical receiver as Randy Moss.

I think Davis stood out tonight. Definitely did enough in my eyes that he's earned the No. 3 spot. He stil made a few too many rookie mistakes for me to trust him as the No. 2. That deep shot he took to Toone in the endzone is a perfect example. Had that not been Robert Sands and your typical starting NFL safety, that would have been as easy an INT as you're going to come by. But like Tuimaunei last week, Sands was a bit too shallow and the ball went over his head. I think at times Davis' eye level was erratic, sometimes being a bit too quick to tuck and run at the first hint of danger, but there were other times where he looked up and found receivers when he was outside the pocket. Showed great anticipation on the TD throw to Brown. There were a few passes here and there that I thought were inaccurate because he still needs work setting his feet. But he's shown enough for me to think he's earned a roster spot and a chance to be developed to see if he has some potential as a backup. So I retract all my negative statements about him from the spring and earlier this summer. :D

LaMark Brown got to display his athleticism tonight, which is a good thing. That No. 3 TE position is wide open.

I thought Lousaka Polite had a very good game, outshining Cox both as a blocker and receiver.

Konz IMO should start next week to see what he has. I too do not want to see Garrett Reynolds as the opening day starter at RG. Reynolds isn't terrible, but he's not good either.

Mike Peterson should be our starting MLB. Unless Dent comes back next week and has a very strong game, he hasn't shown enough for me to trust him there.

I'm very worried about injuries. It always seems that somebody goes down for the year in either the 3rd or 4th preseason game every summer. For a moment I feared we lost Konz tonight.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:52 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
once Green gets a step on you, you're not going to win. He's as good a vertical receiver as Randy Moss.

With all do respect...no. Green is a FANTASTIC WR, but as far as the vertical game goes, Julio has him in spades. To compare him to Moss, as far as the vertical game is concerned, is blasphemy IMO. From what I've seen (and I've been forced to see alot via all my UGA friends/roommates/accomplices), Green is a more physical Roddy. Seperates on the mid slant via push-off power, crisp routes and a small burst. He also has great ballet slippers and Stretch Armstrong limbs on the sideline toe-draggers. I never really saw a Randy gene against SEC corners though...atleast not to the degree that he Usain Bolted (it's a verb now) Asante.

So, by my calculations:

Stafford's arm + (x)Randy Floss = BCS Champs. Stafford's arm + (y)Green = meh. Replace the value of X with Green and Y = Jesus f***, Asante is gonna get toasted by anyone that runs a 4.45 +/- .00000000000000001

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:24 am 

Sorry, but I disagree swayze. Moss and Green have nearly identical frames, and even move the same. Sure, Moss in his prime (and according to various reports even still today) is probably a step or two quicker in terms of his top speed and burst, but I do think Green is basically Moss with 4.48 speed instead of 4.38 speed.

If Roddy was 4 inches taller then I would make the comparison. Speed-wise, they are probably similar. But those 4 inches make up a huge difference. Green's ability to go get a football is second to none except maybe Moss in his prime and Fitzgerald. And that is what makes him a great vertical receiver. It's the same with Megatron and players like Vincent Jackson. So much of the vertical game is jump ball situations, which Green is going to win 98% of the time, similar to Moss in his prime.

Green is going to be held back from reaching his potential as a vertical receiver because Andy Dalton is not a great vertical passer. Dalton is improving, but he's never going to be consistently one of the top guys like say an Aaron Rodgers or Eli Manning have become in recent years.

If I want a receiver that can stretch a defense, with the possible exception of Megatron and Mike Wallace, there isn't a better WR in the NFL today than A.J. Green...IMHO.

Julio OTOH has always reminded me more of Andre Johnson than anything else. Same size/athleticism, same physical abilities, same personality traits. Now of course Johnson is also a very gifted vertical threat, but he's always shined more as an intermediate receiver than anything else. With Roddy lining up opposite (intermediate is also his forte), it will give Jones more opportunities early in his career to stretch the field, but eventually I think he too will settle into more of an intermediate threat.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:15 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
Sorry, but I disagree swayze. Moss and Green have nearly identical frames, and even move the same. Sure, Moss in his prime (and according to various reports even still today) is probably a step or two quicker in terms of his top speed and burst, but I do think Green is basically Moss with 4.48 speed instead of 4.38 speed.

Even a half step is the difference between catching a 30yd'er and being dragged out, as opposed to high-gliding, and turning it into a 70yd TD. So, call me a picker of nits, but I think There is a Huge difference here.

pudge wrote:
Green's ability to go get a football is second to none except maybe Moss in his prime and Fitzgerald..

I agree with this. He has the body (with his friggin' avatar arms), and he seems t have an uncanny knack for timing his jumps, as well as positioning his body. It's almost unfair. He was obviously put on this planet to catch a football.
My problem is that he didn't have to use any of these skills to toast Asante. Just ran right by the mofo like it was nothing, and I fear many others will do the same.

p.s. I may just be bitter. I defended Big Play Ray for years (Yes, I really did this. I own his Home and Away jerseys.)...just don't want my homies to get hurt in the same way. It's like the hot 45yr old at the bar. It's fun to think about when you're drunk, but then you wake up to a 45yr old.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:12 pm 

I just think Green is a better vertical receiver than you give him credit, and a player like Asante and any corner in the league has to be mindful of that. And if you get into that situation, your only saving grace is that Dalton will throw a bad pass, because otherwise Green will catch it. I can only guess what was going thru Asante's head, probably something along the lines of either doubting Dalton's ability to throw over him, or not properly respecting Green's speed which may not be elite top-end speed, but I would say that he accelerates with the best of them. I know a 1.55 10-yard split isn't by any means eye-popping, but when the pads go on Green moves as well as any athlete I've seen on the field, even if his workout numbers don't pop out at you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:25 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Q:
Pudge wrote:
I can only guess what was going thru Asante's head.

A: "Oh s***."