All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Douglas won’t return punts during preseason
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:50 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-bl ... preseason/

Douglas won’t return punts during preseason
6:21 pm August 14, 2012, by Chris Vivlamore

Vivlamore reporting from Flowery Branch.

FLOWERY BRANCH – Dominique Franks is the leader for the Falcons’ punt return job.

While coach Mike Smith stopped short of anointing Franks, the fact that Harry Douglas will not return any punts during the preseason is a strong indicator.

“He will not return punts, probably in the entire preseason,” Smith said of Douglas Tuesday. “We know what Harry can do. He’s a guy who did it for us his rookie season. He will not, more than likely, get any live returns during games.”

So, does that mean the job belongs to Franks? He returned all the punts in last week’s exhibition season opener against the Ravens, including a 45-yard return into the red zone.

“I don’t know that he’s close to having it done,” Smith said of Franks. “He did a nice job in Week 1. … Dom has done some things in past preseason games and in a regular-season game when the score was out of hand. He doesn’t have it sewn up but he sure has a leg up right now in terms of what he did in Week 1.”

Douglas missed the exhibition opener with a rib injury suffered in the Friday Night Lights team scrimmage.

- Chris Vivlamore

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Douglas won’t return punts during preseason
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:33 am 
Superstar
Superstar

On Twitter I hear the same thing repeated and I totally agree with it. Douglas will be needed more on offense than Franks will be needed on defense. It would be good to groom Franks into a punt returner role to give him a clear reason to still be on the team.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:39 am 
Superstar
Superstar

If Douglas can't stay healthy this year, he already missed the first preseason game, he needs to go. After Douglas it's slim pickings on the WR front. Hopefully we take a look at someone who gets cut in the up coming weeks, because I can't see the 170 lb Douglas surviving the year.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:44 pm 

Well Douglas is not going anywhere, after signing a brand new 4-yr. deal this off-season. And from the eyeball test, I think Douglas might be pushing 185-190 now.

Franks returning punts is not a bad idea. The one thing people forget about Douglas returning back in '08 is that he didn't always show reliable hands. This was a point I liked to point out back when people were bashing Weems a year ago and his decision making. Weems was super-reliable, muffing kicks/punts less than 1%.

Profile E-mail