It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Get Dominique Davis some playing time!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:47 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

All I'm saying is that at a minimum, have a real competition. It's not a lateral move if someone comes in and beats out Redman in a competition.

As is, despite the clamoring of the masses that Davis is "for real," Redman has no real competition as the No. 2 QB right now. Redman is safe and snug as the No. 2 QB. There's not a chance in hell that he is cut for anybody currently on the roster. Now if the Falcons go out and sign someone like Colt McCoy, Tarvaris Jackson, John Beck, etc. between now and September 9, then maybe Redman has something worth fearing.

But as I said before, unless the Falcons go out and trade for or sign someone in the next few days, there's not a chance in hell that Redman loses his job before the season starts. As much as I might wish, the Falcons aren't going to give up a draft pick to go out and get someone like Colt McCoy, nor are they likely to carry a 3rd QB into the season when it's not necessary, and they'll likely need that 46th active spot to carry an extra D-lineman or skill position player on gamedays.

For the record, I think McCoy would be a very good fit here in Atlanta. Playing for a Dome team is the ideal situation for McCoy, and because he possesses similar traits to Ryan, and also wants to be a starter (so he'd actually put in the work that Redman has not over the past 2 years), he'd be as close to the ideal No. 2 behind Ryan as we can find. Not to mention if we were to get him for a 6th or 7th rounder, and then be able to a year or two from now trade him away for a 4th or 5th round pick, it would be a solid investment.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:45 pm 

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-bl ... nn-thomas/

Atlanta Falcons
Atlanta Falcons: 5 questions with QB coach Glenn Thomas

10:00 am August 15, 2012, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

FLOWERY BRANCH — I caught up with first-year quarterbacks coach Glenn Thomas after Tuesday’s walk-through practice.

After the game last week, I asked head coach Mike Smith if the competition was between the No. 2 (Chris Redman) and No. 3 (John Parker Wilson) quarterbacks or if it was a battle between No. 3 (JPW) and No. 4 (Dominique Davis).
Rookie quarterback Dominique Davis, East Carolina, throws a pass during team practice. (Curtis Compton, ccompton@ajc.com)

Rookie quarterback Dominique Davis, East Carolina, throws a pass during team practice. (Curtis Compton, ccompton@ajc.com)

He said it was “wide open” competition between all of them.

Here’s what Thomas had to say about the quarterbacks:

Q: How did the quarterbacks perform in the exhibition season opener against the Ravens?

A: It was good to get them out there and get some live action with a live rush coming at them. Different scenarios popped up at them during the game and that’s always good. That’s how you improve. You see those different scenarios and we adjust to those.

Q: How is Chris Redman doing?

A: He just keeps improving every day. Red has been around a long time. He knows defenses and what looks he will see. He just has to continue to improve and get the ball to where it is supposed to be. Having some carryover with the offense has helped him with Dirk [Koetter] coming in.

Q: Is this a big year for John Parker Wilson because his practice squad eligibility is up?

A: Ultimately, it’s a big year for everybody. He needs to play well like all of those guys need to play well. That was a good look for him this week (against Baltimore).

Q: How is Dominique Davis performing?

A: Dom has done really, really well. He’s a soft-spoken guy. He doesn’t say a lot, he just kind of lays back and soaks in information. If you ask him a question, he’ll answer it. He’s seems to be on top of his stuff.

Q: What impressed you all about Davis and made you all rush out to sign him?

A: That’s all attributed to our scouting department. Dom kind of fell through the cracks and we were lucky enough to get him.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:18 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Atlanta Falcons: Davis in hunt for No. 2 backup QB gig
7:31 pm August 18, 2012,
by D. Orlando Ledbetter

FLOWERY BRANCH — Quarterbacks Chris Redman, John Parker Wilson and rookie Dominique Davis are in a heated battle to backup starter Matt Ryan.

Some coaches prefer to have an established veteran at that key position.

Whoever the best backup guy is, whether if he’s a 10-year vet or a rookie, is going to be our backup quarterback,” Falcons coach Mike Smith said after practice on Saturday. “I think you have to go out there and let the play on the field [decide]. … It’s a matter of who plays the best.”

Fun Gus note* :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :x :roll:

Redman and Wilson have not played well during the exhibition season, while Davis, an undrafted rookie from East Carolina, has put together two solid outings.

“I thought that Chris and JP played better than they did the first game and Dom has played pretty good in both games, coming in at the end,” offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter said. “Dom gave us a chance to come back from two scores. He definitely did a nice job in that fourth quarter.”

:dance:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:24 pm 

Well I tell Smitty good luck with this season if Davis is the No. 2. The utter lack of depth this team has is pretty alarming. Well, I guess not that alarming when you remember that this basically pissed away the last two drafts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:49 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Davis had another good performance tonight. I can't say that it was "great," because he was only really a passer for one series. But what a series!

Goodbye JPW. Redman, you'd better watch your back.

And again, I'm quite surprised by Davis. I figured that he'd be a camp body.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:27 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I think Davis earned a third string spot tonight and then if we get lucky he might be ready for #2 next year? Still would want to know how they look during the week.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:46 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Whether you like Davis or not, Redman has definitely not delivered in preseason. While Davis realistically isn't ready to step into the #2 slot yet, he has outshined Redman and JPW thus far. As it stands now, if Ryan goes down, we're probably sunk.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:05 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I think Davis should be our #3 this year, and then give him a shot at the #2 spot next year. I've been impressed, not impressed enough to throw the vet out yet, especially considering we have allot of eggs in this years basket. Redman's time is coming, but it's not here yet.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:13 pm 

Redman's time should have come this off-season. I'm wondering if we had brought in some mid-level veteran free agent and he performed like Redman has, would we be down on him as much as we are on Redman? I mean, I figure we'd cut the new guy some slack because he hasn't been here for 5 friggin' years and is still getting his feet wet and adjusting to playing for a new team in a new offense. Meanwhile Redman is also playing in a new offense, but it's not like it's a brand new offense. Verbiage is still the same, talent around him is the exact same. But his performance goes to show you that Redman has grown complacent over the years.

But at least Davis has outplayed pretty much everybody's expectations. As many may recall, I was very down on Davis when we first signed him. I figured, he might run around a couple of times, make a couple of nice laser passes enough to have a better than average shot at the practice squad, but I definitely wasn't expecting this. I figured he was D.J. Shockley v2.0. I still think it would be a huge mistake if the Falcons had him as their No. 2 this year, but barring them picking up Matt Hasselbeck as their No. 2 next year, then I'm definitely down with what others have said and have Davis compete for that spot in an open competition.

Profile E-mail