It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Latest on Grady
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:50 am 
Superstar
Superstar

- 385 is ridiculous, so I'd drop him from all consideration. Any more on Wilkinson or Rucker??

The Rams had Grady Jackson in for a look-see this week, but there was far too much to see to warrant signing him. Jackson, who has always had weight issues, came in at a whopping 385, according to a league source. That's way too much, even for a player who plays at about 335 pounds when he's in shape.

The Rams passed on Jackson for the time being. Maybe if he gets in shape they might reconsider, depending on what they do in the draft. Jimmy Kennedy, a former first-round pick who has been maligned in his career, supposedly had a good showing last week during the Rams' minicamp. If he can continue to show well, the Rams have a solid starting duo with Kennedy and La'Roi Glover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:44 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

So now we know why he failed his physical with the Falcons. I was thinking about this issue the other day, particularly when it comes to rookies and their weight.

If I'm a team, I'm going to take players with weight concerns off my draft board completely, unless I could contact their agents prior to the draft, and they were open to the idea of having weight-based incentives in their contract. Something along the lines of bonuses paid during hte summer and at the end of the season if the player was able to maintain a target weight.

There are so many talented players that have come out in recent years that because of issues with their weight, they've never been consistent players. OT Mike Williams, formerly of the Bills, is a good example. Guys like Haloti Ngata, Max Jean-Gilles, Deuce Lutui among others seem to be prime candidates to fall into this group out of this year's draft crop.

Frankly, the Falcons can't afford to give money to Jackson if he's not in playing shape. And he won't be at that unless he drops at least 25 pounds between now and September, which is easier said than done.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Latest on Grady
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:06 am 
Veteran
Veteran

widetrak21 wrote:
- 385 is ridiculous, so I'd drop him from all consideration. Any more on Wilkinson or Rucker??

The Rams had Grady Jackson in for a look-see this week, but there was far too much to see to warrant signing him. Jackson, who has always had weight issues, came in at a whopping 385, according to a league source. That's way too much, even for a player who plays at about 335 pounds when he's in shape.

The Rams passed on Jackson for the time being. Maybe if he gets in shape they might reconsider, depending on what they do in the draft. Jimmy Kennedy, a former first-round pick who has been maligned in his career, supposedly had a good showing last week during the Rams' minicamp. If he can continue to show well, the Rams have a solid starting duo with Kennedy and La'Roi Glover.

Perfect...385 is just what we need to occupy like 3 blockers...ha

Post subject: Re: Latest on Grady
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:24 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

ether3917 wrote:
widetrak21 wrote:

Perfect...385 is just what we need to occupy like 3 blockers...ha

He wouldn't even have to move to stop the run, just let them run into you and bounce off. Here's to signing Grady! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:37 am 
Superstar
Superstar

lol to that there'd be no doubt! :lol: