It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mike Wallace now available
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:24 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Well, the Steelers gave Antonio Brown 5 yrs., $42.5 million extension, which basically nixes any chance Mike Wallace gets the long-term deal he wants. Now, all that is left is the Steelers waiting for a good trade offer between now and next March.

As far as WRs that can take the top off the defense, besides maybe DeSean Jackson or A.J. Green, there is arguably no better WR in the league than Wallace.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Mike Wallace now available
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:09 pm 

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... both-sides

Ed: Trading Wallace Best for Both Sides
Saturday, 28 July 2012 07:27
Written by Ed Bouchette

Good morning,

It makes more sense than ever for Mike Wallace to sign his one-year tender, get into training camp and play the entire 2012 season. After all, it is his final dress rehearsal for his next employer for 2013.
The Steelers did more than sign a good, young receiver when Antonio Brown committed to them through the 2017 season. They lowered the kaboom on Wallace. There was little chance they were going to give into Wallace’s contract demands before they signed Brown; there is no chance now.
That doesn’t mean a multiple-year contract is no longer available to Wallace. It very well could be. But the number offered by the Steelers before AB would likely be reduced dramatically, that is if negotiations even resume with Wallace on a multiple-year deal.
A sign-and-trade remains a possibility, but the Steelers do not like to go that route because it might set a precedent for a player or players to force trades similarly in the future. However, a trade technically can happen and the scenario would look like this: The Steelers give another team or teams permission to talk to Wallace to try to work out a deal. If they do, Wallace would sign his one-year tender with the Steelers, who then would trade him to the other team.
What could they get for Wallace at this point? No team apparently was willing to give up a first-round draft choice for him when he was a restricted free agent, so why would they do it now? Santonio Holmes, remember, brought them only a fifth-round pick. I’m guessing with Wallace, it could be a fourth-rounder.
Do you do that trade? I think the Steelers have reached a point that they might. They now view Wallace as a potential distraction – not his holdout, but if he ever ends it. He not only slumped in the second half of last season, but so did his attitude and they would assume if he had to sign the one-year deal and was unable to get a longer deal from the Steelers to his satisfaction, that attitude would not improve this season.
This looked to be the most ill-advised holdout since Franco Harris in 1984, and the fallout from that. However, Harris was at the end of the road and the Steelers were willing to give him one final season – they even put him on the cover of their press guide that year, an honor they almost never do for a player or coach. Wallace is only in his fourth season.
If the Steelers do trade Wallace over the next month or so, the holdout could be seen as a victory for the player because he will have gotten big money, only elsewhere. If that happens, the Steelers will have lost one of the league’s best big-play receivers. However, they really never had a choice because they were never going to pay Wallace the kind of money he wanted and it appears he was not going to accept much less.
I’ve written here and said it on radio and TV since the spring that I thought they never would come to a long-term deal with Wallace, that he would have to sign the one-year tender, play this season and enter free agency next March. I did not think a trade could happen. Wallace could try to encourage a trade by not reporting to training camp, and the Steelers could do nothing and let him sit. But once the season begins, if he continues to hold out, neither side gains anything.
The only good way out of this for both sides would be for the Steelers to trade Mike Wallace.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:33 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Per Profootballtalk they are saying that he is looking for Vincent Jackson money not Fitzgerald money. If that is the case then I think that he is worth that and then some. His youth, speed, and ability to dictate coverage makes him worth that type of money. I think that Antonio Brown is a better all around receiver than Wallace but I think that Wallace's speed is the reason that Brown gets the space to operate. The Steelers will regret getting rid of Wallace.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:34 pm 

I don't quite get the love for Antonio Brown. He's a good receiver, but he is the epitome of a complementary receiver. He has vertical ability, but he hasn't nearly been as productive there as Wallace has. Wallace is one of the elite vertical receivers in the league, and while Brown is a capable to good vertical receiver, he doesn't seem like he will ever truly excel there which has been a hallmark of the Steelers offense in recent seasons.

I think Brown is a good receiver, but I don't think he's a great receiver. And I think in the Steelers offense he works well which is a vertical spread attack. But without that dynamic vertical threat on the outside in Wallace, I don't think it's as effective. I think Wallace helps Brown much more than Brown helps Wallace. And I'm not sure Brown is going to do the same to players like Jerricho Cotchery and Emmanuel Sanders.

It makes me wonder whether Todd Haley had anything to do with this. Not to blame him specifically, but this off-season much of the talk out of Pittsburgh has been about going back towards running the ball. And with Wallace skipping off-season workouts and the perception that he won't be as valuable in the new offense going forward as he was in the old offense, then the powers that be decided to move on.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:48 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I just think that Brown's abetter route runner than Wallace, but I do agree with you on the notion that Wallace is the cog that makes the machine go. Brown will probably never open up the field for any other WRs the way that Wallace does. I just don't understand why they made that move now, it would be the equivalent of us knowing that we want to get Grimes under contract and we sign Moore to a five year deal when he has another year left on his contract. If he is really looking for Vincent Jackson type money you really mean to tell me Wallace is not worth 13 million more dollars than Brown? If you ask me that a bargain, I just hope that things dont turn ugly and he gets a chance to leave and play for his hometown team [The Saints], whom I have been told plenty times that he would love to do that would seriously be bad juju :down: .

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:14 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

This ones killing me, as I've got MWallace for a 7th round FF keeper. Which if he plays is crazy value, but Brown sorta just Pipp'ed him contract wise.

Antonio Brown is a damn good WR, but I agree with you two, the top blown off coverage that MW provides, does provide all that underneath room to roam. Interesting pt on Haley, as I've wonder about all that recently too. You're three best offensive assets reside in the pass game, so you bring in Haley to install that smash mouth rb committe offense. It prob will work okay with Redman, and a healthy Mendy, considering how much they've put into their oline the last two years. But it also reminds me of us, in that what is you O philosphy going forward??

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:28 pm 

Yep, we'll see how the Haley attack works in future years. This year, doesn't seem to be a recipe for success. I think the Steelers will still probably be a good team, but probably cap out around 9 wins, especially if Mike Wallace holds out for the majority of the season. If he sits out the rest of camp, hoping to be traded, he will have missed all of the off-season installation of Haley's offense, which means it's going to take weeks for him to get up to speed.

Redman should be competent, but I agree that they don't have the pieces to really be that sort of balanced, attack. I don't see Mendenhall doing much if anything this year. I've heard talk he might miss the entire year because of the ACL. So much of their offense under Arians was designed around spreading the field and throwing it vertically, that they just don't have the pieces to really make the quick transition to the style of offense Haley seems to want.

The good thing about the Steelers is that they're always going to have a good defense that will keep them competitive each and every week, so that even if the offense struggles, they'll be in practically every game. But now that they've lost Farrior, Aaron Smith, and you can't count on Polamalu to be healthy for more than 5 or 6 games, just how good will they be? While it's good that the Steelers finally have started to address their woes up front on the offense, they still have virtually ignored how weak they've been the past few years at CB opposite Ike Taylor. Ever since '08, when McFadden was there (and still actually good), they've been weak at that position. Yet they've ignored it.

We'll see how it all plays out for them.

As for Wallace himself, it wasn't for the fact that he was looking for a $50+ million contract, I would be tempted as the Falcons GM to trade for him. Had this situation come to fruition back before the draft, and we had a 3rd or 4th round to part with, I would have traded Turner & that for Wallace in a heartbeat.

Could you imagine an offense where you could put Wallace and White on the outside, Jones in the slot, and design a pass-heavy offense around that. And you still have Gonzo and HD as your 4th & 5th options. Who needs to run the ball?

I realize that is an obvious fantasy, but IMO that's the sort of offense that this team needs to be looking to build towards rather than this deception they have about being balanced when their starting RB is a decrepit Michael Turner.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:51 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
I don't see Mendenhall doing much if anything this year. I've heard talk he might miss the entire year because of the ACL.

Where did you see that, all I've seen thus far is straight lines, no cutting, probable to PUP, but hopefully playing after that.

Quote:
Could you imagine an offense where you could put Wallace and White on the outside, Jones in the slot, and design a pass-heavy offense around that. And you still have Gonzo and HD as your 4th & 5th options. Who needs to run the ball?

NOBODY! Sick to think of the possibilities.