It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pros & Cons of trading Schaub
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:23 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sport ... chaub.html

I know it's a bit hypocritical as I've been one of the more vocal people about trading Schaub this off-season, but I'm frankly a little tired of hearing about it now. Trade him or keep him, I don't really care at this point. But frankly, I don't think it's going to happen at all unless it comes on draft day. So I'm at the point where I don't want to hear more about it until a trade actually occurs.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:11 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Well we only have another week to go, so you know you'll be hearing a lot about it in the next week. It'll probably be everywhere come Thursday or Friday. I am like you though. Either do it or don't. Just get it over with.

On a side note, the more I think about it, if we do trade Schuab I would like the scenario that was rumored the other day of this year's 2nd and next year's 1st from the Vikes. The more I think about it, the more I don't want to draft a RB until next year. There are a lot of good RBs coming out next year that we could get with a 1st and I think we should wait if we could get an extra first next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:40 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

the more i think about it you keep Schaub for 2 reasons.
1. the defense is just about in place save for a tackle and a corner. if Vick goes down all cannot be lost.
2. we can offer him the max tender next offseason and not lose him after this season for one more year. if he does get to play this season he will undoubtably excel and therefore he'll be even more valuable in a trade next year.

i don't agree with waiting until next year for the pick though. granted the 2nd this year would be good, however this year's draft is loaded with talent in the secondary. we could have Tye Hill, Ko Simpson, Jimmy Williams, etc. with that Viking pick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:36 pm 

This year has several runners that are ideal fits for our offense, I wouldn't want the Falcons to pass on any of them. We have an offensive system in which we don't need to use 1st round picks on RBs. I'd rather use a 1st on a position we need like CB or OL or whatever.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:13 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I understand your logic, but I guess I just want us to fill our other needs and let Dunn and Duckett do their thing this year. I would love to see D. Williams (no chance) or Drew on this team, but if we could fill our CB/S, OL, and DL needs then I would be happy on waiting until next year to get a RB. Yes, RB is a need, but let's get the other ones first. I don't know, just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:39 am 

Well frankly, all the starting positions are secure now. Any CB would at best be a #3 this year, but most likely would be the #4 guy. Any RB would be a backup, same with DL or OL, or whatever.

I would say there is a 90% chance as of now that Duckett is gone after this year. I would say there is a 60% chance that Dunn is gone as well. Getting a runner now is very smart since it gives him a year to learn the offense and gives the Falcons a lot of insurance and leverage next year. Rather than being forced to go after a RB (perhaps an expensive veteran) early in the draft.

IMO, CB is only a slightly greater need than RB at this point. Once again, the "wait until next year's draft" strategy is a poor one. They said wait until this year to draft OL. But of the 38 OTs and OGs drafted last year, probably anywhere between 10-15 of them will start for their respective teams this year. Doesn't sound like a weak OL class to me. What happened to the strong OL class from this year? Maybe only 3 or 4 OL get drafted in this year's 1st round. Last year, 15 OL were taken on Day 1. It seems about the same number will be drafted this year. Where's the strength at? And what makes next year class seem so storng? Because it will have more power runners that necessarily aren't great fits in this offense? I think the strength of next year's RB class will be made or broken by whether Adrian Peterson enters the draft.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:58 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

you are happy with Webster as your 2nd corner? btw, who is the nickel back?

we are trying to win a Superbowl next year, aren't we? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:38 am 

I'm not happy with Webster, but I'm content. I know if that if the pass rush plays to its potential and Donatell for once gets aggressive, Webster will be fine at the No. 2 spot. I'm also content because I know that we're not going to find an upgrade between now and next year. Despite all the talk of the CBs this year, every single one of them is raw.

Huff, Cromartie, and Joseph basically all have 1 year of experience. Williams has 2, Hill may have 3, and Marshall may have 2 or so. I suspect whomever we draft at CB this year will begin the year at the No. 4 position and may stay there for the whole season if Cash is 100% and picks up where he left off last year.

I just never subscribe to the theory/strategy that it would be more fruitful to deal with it next year.

Profile E-mail