It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Our defense compared ot our offense
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:54 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

Our defense has been much upgraded. Linebackers with harwell and brooking are fine. the safeties are much improved. the line is pretty good with coleman, kerney, and abraham.

though we have strenghted our defense, maybe to a point where it could be top 10 next year- we have not done equally well on offense.

Our receivers, remain as they have for years, our worst position. I am still not a beleiver in jenkins or white, though white seems to flash more potential. frankly neither has been as consistent as finneran.
Our running back situation is okay- except the fact that Dunn is getting older and Duckett stinks. We need to pick up a back in the later rounds of this draft.
I may have spoke too soon about our receivers, maybe our o-line is the worst position. it just flat-out stinks.

We need to address our o-line bigtime in the draft or make one more move in free agency. but there are some good notes. the draft is coming up. also, i trust mckay. and most importantly, if i had a choice between a good offense and a weak defense or the flip- i would take the flip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:21 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I believe we only need too address two positions as key upgrades..

LG, where we have Matt Lehr, could use a major upgrade (Davin Joseph?)
NT we also need a big bodied veteran (G. Jackson/B. Buckner?)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:01 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Well jay is right that Dunn is getting old and its pretty obviously that duckett cant be an every down back. We do need to get a RB this year or at least next year. I do not like the idea of drafting one in the late round though. I am not sure if there is anyone decent that could be around in the late rounds. if there are let me know but we need to get a dominant RB to take the place of Dunn when he is gone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:38 am 

I'd much rather look for a replacement for Kynan "WATCH OUT!" Forney. He regressed this past season and I thought Lehr was a far more consistant player. One thing is for sure Lehr would be much better suited at center.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:41 am 
Superstar
Superstar

The interior of the O-line is weak as water. McClure gets manhandled too often as well as Lehr and Forney. People like to put Weiner down but he's been a pretty good blindside blocker for Vick. Gandy will be a rock at left tackle.

The defense is set, unless we somehow trade up to grab a CB. At 47,...we probably won't be drafting a starter, so guard, center and RB should be the focus.

I keep reading Falcons fans being negative about White and Jenkins,...especially Jenkins. Let's give them a chance before we judge too hastily. In the passing camps last Summer, Vick was throwing mainly to Dez White and Finn but it'll be different this year. White and Jenkins are the starters now and before we judge the young receivers, we might wanna give Vick and they a chance to develop some chemistry. And too,...the WRs catch the passes,...the QB throws them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:58 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Consider the drafts a little over a week away, can we start honing in on some players who will be there at our second to meet the couple position needs we've got?

RB - Addai, Harrison, Drew, ??

LG - Joseph, ??

CB - Griffin, ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:35 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Doug (Frankfort): You don't think the Falcon's would part with Schaub for a #1?????

Chris Mortensen: No, they would not...unless maybe it was a top-8 pick. The Falcons will let Vick run around even more this year. He's a 12-to-14 game player because of the injury-risk factor. Those other 2-to-4 games could be the difference between playoffs and also-ran. They will take a QB in this draft, I believe, but 2006 is a big season for the franchise and Schaub is a major piece of the puzzle, believe it or not, unless they're blown away with an offer.

--

Mike (Washington): Why is everyone dismissing Jerome Harrison as one of the top 5 RB's? He had 1900 yards for a mediocre team in tough conference.

Mel Kiper: He's a good football player. I was impressed with him all year. He had some huge games. I thought the big thing with him is he caught the ball well this year. But he still needs work. He needs more work in catching the football. I think he'll project in the third round in the draft. If he were more consistent catching the football, I think he'd be a second rounder.

--

Terry (columbus OH): Jerome, you had a great college career. There are a lot of skeptics saying you might not make it in the nfl because of your size, what do you have to say to those skeptics?

Jerome Harrison: They've been saying that to me my whole life. Name me another back that ran for 1,900 yards in the Pac-10. I had 300 carries with no injuries and didn't miss a game. Everything will come to light at the next level.

Bryan (Fayetteville): Jereme, which stadium are looking forward to playing in the most?

Jerome Harrison: Georgia Dome.

Josh (St. Cloud, MN): Hey, Jerome. Who's game in the NFL do you think yours most resembles? Good luck in the draft!

Jerome Harrison: LaDainian Tomlinson. Warrick Dunn mostly, too.
Tony ( Big Blue): Jerome, what NFL teams impressed you the most when you spoke with them at the Combine?

Jerome Harrison: The Panthers and Atlanta and the Colts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:37 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I think the Falcons are probably targetting him in Round 3, Harrison that is. I'd really be surprised if either Harrison, Leon Washington, or Maurice Drew aren't Falcons this year. Now there are other backs I'm sure we're looking at, but those 3 seem to be the most likely to still be available in Round 3 when I think we'll be going after a RB.

As for the offense vs. defense, McKay & Mora are doing exactly what McKay & Dungy did in Tampa Bay. Use the first few years to build a Top 10 defense. In time, the offense will come around. Especially when you consider Vick is at the helm.

As for Jenkins & White. I have high hopes for them. My beef with Jenks is taht I was never a huge fan of his ability when he came out of OSU. I didn't think he was a significantly better player than Derrick Hamilton, who wound up going in the 3rd round to the 49ers. I also thought he wasn't better than the 31st pick (also a 49er) in Rashaun Woods. It would seem that in the time since, Jenkins has developed much faster and better than either Woods or Hamilton, so of course I could be eating crow on this one. But I just thought he was a reach as a late 1st round pick. It's also worthy to note that the most prominent 1st round busts are usually taken in the late part of the round (e.g. Marcus Nash, R. Jay Soward, etc.). I just thought there was maybe 10-20 players on the board at the time that were better than Jenkins.

I'll happily be proven wrong however. And I'm definitely willing to give both players a chance to develop. But I also hear a lot of Falcon fans talking about Roddy White as if he's Braylon Edwards or Roy Williams, as if he has their type of upside. He's not and I doubt ever will be. Could he be a good WR in this league? Of course. But is there going to ever be a day that I expect him to catch 90 passes and 10 TDs in a single year like an elite WR is capable of doing? Nope. 70 and 7 is more in White's range.

The Falcons are going to let the offense grow up a little. Don't be too concerned about the RB position. This year presents a good opportunity for the Falcons to draft a Dunn-like RB, and I'd be surprised if we did not have one by the end of round 3. Not to mention, like the Broncos, finding quality RBs for this team and offense should not be as hard a thing as it is for other teams, such as Arizona.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:12 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

I think you guys are completely right. McKay said i want to address the personnel on defense and he has. He is trying to do what he did in Tampa, create a dominant defense. Frankly, I'm impressed. I think our line is incredibly strong and our linebackers are very solid too. The secondary is our weakest, but they should benefit a lot from the line and linebackers which will put a lot of pressure on the other team.
I think we will be weaker against the run than the pass, because our d-line is a bit light, but now we have safeties and Hartwell back who should help.

Our O-line is terrible. But luckilily we have a mobile qb who can make plays outside the pocket. You are right as well, this is the first year we can really test whether Roddie or jenkins will be good. They have had time to develop, and now will be taking most snaps in preseason. I'm really glad for consistency's sake, with the thought of having finneran back.

I'm very interested to see what we do in the draft to our offense and defense. Someone mentioned we need a huge run-stuffer on the D-line. Thought this is true, we also need a couple of O-lineman as well, maybe a corner, and a running back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:43 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Harrison sounds like a classy guy, probably passed the infamous "Falcons Filter"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:22 pm 

I've been talking up Harrison for a while a guy I originally had tabbed for the 4th or 5th round his stock has been rising. I think Drew's stock has broken into the 2nd round so I don't think the Falcons get him unless they move up from their first pick in the 3rd round.

I need to revise my Mock and stick Harrison back in in the 3rd round in Drew's sted. I still think Harrison could come in for a team and shock the league as to what he's capable of.