It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trevor Pryce
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:34 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Pryce has played the past few years at DE, and has struggled somewhat staying healthy, but I think he is the premier DT in the league. The best pass-rusher at that position. He's so good that he can be a double-digit sack guy at either DE or DT, which is extremely rare in this league.

Would you trade for him, considering our need for an accomplished DT? I'm sure the Broncos are asking for a 1st round pick for the 30-year old. But assuming Pryce can stay on the field, he's better than any possible playmaker we could get at #27.

Would you make the move?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:59 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

I don't watch enough Denver football to know the answer to this question but... Can he play as a two gap nose tackle. Coleman is very effective as the under tackle so the other guy has to be able to eat space first and rush the passer second. I guess I would devote resources into scouting him based on the fact he can rotate at DE at least but as a DT I don't know how valuable he is to us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:08 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I say no. I'm more than happy with Lavalais and Lake rotating at #2 DT along with a day 1 rookie or a free agent competing for time in the rotation...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:23 pm 

Lake? Cap, I'm sorry but you must be nuts. This guy is even less of a contributor than Shawn Swayda was in his days in Atlanta.

Lake had a strong start to the season, but he basically disappeared after Week 4 or so. He's nothing more than a stopgap # FOUR defensive tackle!!!

If Lake makes this team in 2005, it will either be 1) a testament to how wrong I am and Lake shows dramatic improvement or 2) it will show that McKay & Co. did a poor job at bolstering the depth at DT.

He should not make the roster. If the Falcons play their cards right, Lake should enter training camp as the #5 DT at best. He should get absolutely no promotion.

I don't really have a major problem with Lavalais entering camp as the starter, but if his top competition is Antwan Lake, then we are in for a long season...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: I would trade the 27th pick for Pryce
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:51 am 

If Pryce is healthy then it is a no brainer give the 27th pick for him.Why would Denver trade one of the best def tackles in the league?Why is he switched to def end?I doubt the falcon's could get Pryce but if offered him for our 27th pick I would do it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:06 am 
Role Player
Role Player

He's going to be 30 by the start of the season and he's coming off a season in which he had one start because of back surgery. When he made it back to the lineup, in a non-starting role, he left in the second half because his back was still bothering him. I wouldn't be comfortable giving a second round pick up for him, let alone a first rounder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:34 pm 

From what I recall, Pryce was switched to DT in 2002 because the team wanted to get bigger in the middle of their line. Their starters then we Chester McGlockton and Pryce, but they moved Pryce outside and put in Lional Dalton in his spot. PLus, the starters at DE were not getting it down. Keith Washington and Kavika Pittman started in 2001. That season they combined for a total of 5 sacks.

I think Pryce is the best DT in the league, but if he's healthy is the only way I trade for him.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:41 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I would not entertain the idea of trading a 1st round pick for any player over 30. Unless you are gonna get a 2nd round pick back. I too like rotating 4 defensive tackles. It allows Coleman and hopefully jasper the ability to stay fresh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:53 am 

Jasper is retiring.

The Broncos are reportedly asking for only a 3rd round pick for Pryce, which now that I think about it, is probably pretty questionable.

I've thought about it some, and it seems Pryce being on the trading block is a red flag that he is unlikely to be healthy this year. Someone compared his injury to that of Daryl Gardener, which basically cost him his career in Miami, and he was only able to get one good year in Washington before he was basically forced to retire.

A 3rd round pick however for the best DT in the league is a very small price to pay. But I would only agree to the trade if Pryce checked out medically and looked very very healthy. If there is questions in team doctors' minds on the point that he couldn't play 3-5 more seasons, then we shouldn't make the trade.

Profile E-mail