It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: More on Schaub and the Vikes...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:43 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

short little blurb that just adds more fuel to what we've been saying...

The Vikings and Falcons aren't currently talking about Matt Schaub, but word out of Atlanta is that the Falcons may be more interested in shopping Schaub than first indicated.

When draft day arrives for the Falcons, there is going to be a long wait until they're on the clock. Having traded their first-round pick to the Jets for John Abraham, the Falcons won't pick until six or seven hours into the draft ... or will they?

Word out of Atlanta is that the Falcons' front office is spending an inordinate amount of time with Georgia QB D.J. Shockley. The question being posed by Falcons beat writers -- and rightfully so -- is why would a team with no first-round pick and a seeming unwillingness to trade Schaub spend so much time talking to a mid-round QB in the draft.

The reports say that the meeting with Shockley is the fourth such visit, which shows more than just marginal interest. Perhaps the team is more willing to part with Schaub -- whether to the Vikings or to someone else -- than they're letting on. Such is the poker game that is the NFL draft

http://vikings.scout.com/2/520444.html?refid=400

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:49 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I don't think Shockley is going to even get drafted. I would really hope that if the Falcons trade Schaub and draft a rookie with the expectations that he's going to be the backup, they would take a player with a significantly smaller learning curve like Drew Olson. That's why we've found success with Schaub so soon, is because his learning curve entering the league was so much smaller than almost every other QB in his class (including Roethlisberger).

But if this is the plan, and I'm not sure it is, it means that Ty Detmer will probably make one more apperance in a Falcons uniform this year. I don't doubt the fact that the Falcons are actively interested in Shockley or that they are looking at their options if they decide to move Schaub, but there's still little guarantee either will happen. This will be something to look out for on draft day, because that's the only time Schaub will be moved between now and February 2007.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:36 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I don't see how Shockley's any better than a guy already on our bench who I've always loved, in one Bryan Randall. The knock on both would be the NFL QB arm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:59 am 
Superstar
Superstar

- I did however find this from an espn chat...

Ron (Cali): Where do you think D.J. Shockley from UGA will end up this year?

Jeremy Green: Atlanta in the 4th round. They have been all over this kid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:42 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

widetrak21 wrote:
- I did however find this from an espn chat...

Ron (Cali): Where do you think D.J. Shockley from UGA will end up this year?

Jeremy Green: Atlanta in the 4th round. They have been all over this kid.

Jeremy Green needs to learn his draft info. Falcons don't have a 4th round pick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:37 pm 

I like Shockley but he is a project quarterback that could not step in as the teams primary backup and lead this team to many wins. If the Falcons draft anyone QB wise this time around I'd like to see a Clemens or Olson get the nod and not Shockley. They really probably could add him Ala Randall after the draft. Any team that does draft him is about 60/40 to cut him during camp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:59 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I have read alot about this Shockley thing in the AJC. The main reason it gets so much attention is b/c of the double local content. I could definately see us taking him in the 5th, or maybe even with our later 3rd if we like him that much...

But the fact that we're paying him alot of attention doesn't mean that we're going to deal Schaub... the article I read had McKay saying that they're looking for another young QB to groom/for depth... he was quoted as saying he wants to go to camp with 4 (which I assume is Vick, Schaub, Randell, draft pick or Rookie FA) to battle for 3 spots.

I guess you never really know though... the draft is all about smokescreens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:07 pm 

Your right jatkin, the Falcons interest in any QB does not mean the team is looking to deal Schaub. It's only the smart thing to do since most everyone believes this will be Schaub's last year in Atlanta. So why not have a guy with a year's experience in the offense potentially take over in 2007, rather than somebody completely new.

But even still, I'm not that high on Shockley. I like him as a player, but not to a great degree. He compares very nicely with Vick, but the difference is that he's not that as athletic, doesn't have the same arm strength, and has even less experience than Vick when it comes to PT.

All the time and effort we've put into Vick will be doubled or tripled if we want Shockley to come along to the point where we believe he's a starting caliber player. He's a project, and why would you draft a project with the likely intentions of having him take over the No. 2 job within a year?

IMO, he's no better a prospect than Bryan Randall was a year ago coming out of VT. But frankly, the Falcons have wasted Randall by taking him away from the QB position as a rookie, so now he's only slightly better prepared to play QB in the NFL than he was last summer. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mora trying Shockley at WR or something during practice just like they did with Randall.

As I've stated before, I think there's a very good chance that unless teh Falcons take him, Shockley does not even get drafted this year, just like Randall before him and other similarly athletic but raw QBs like Brad Banks. Ronald Curry only gets drafted by the Raiders a few years back because they planned to move him to WR. I think that's probably the case for guys like McNeal, Brad Smith, and Michael Robinson. I think you can lump Shockley in that same group of QBs. So Shockley IMO would be a major reach with anything before a 7th round pick at this point.

If the plan is to draft a QB that could be the backup next season, then it shouldn't be Shockley. If the plan however is to draft a guy and bury him at No. 3 for 3 or so years, then maybe Shockley can be that guy.

Profile E-mail