Post subject: Falcons likely to take a look at Channing Crowder
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:14 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-bl ... g-crowder/

Atlanta Falcons
Falcons likely to take a look at Channing Crowder

10:23 am February 6, 2012, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

INDIANAPOLIS – The Falcons have been in touch with former Miami linebacker Channing Crowder, who plans to make a comeback after sitting out last season.

Crowder, the former North Springs High and Florida standout who prematurely retired at age 28, is ready to make a comeback. The Atlanta Falcons, who hired Crowder’s last defensive coordinator in Mike Nolan, have been in touch and will most certainly check out Crowder.

“I’d love to play in Atlanta,” Crowder said. “Coach Nolan is my guy. Actually, when he got the job in Atlanta he [sent] me a text. Coach Nolan is a first class guy. I’m not just saying that to be politically correct. He’s a first class guy and a great defensive coordinator. He’s a great guy. When he I got released he texted me back then and said that ‘it was great to coach you.’”

In his most recent text to Crowder, Nolan just told Crowder that he was landing in his hometown.

“I told him if he needs a better linebacker let me know,” Crowder said. “He texted me back and said ‘I’ll keep in touch.’ ”

Crowder was working on radio row during the Super Bowl week for 560 WQAM, a South Florida radio station.

He retired last season because of a family situation.

“What happened was, the Dolphins released me the second day of camp,” Crowder said. “My wife was 37 weeks pregnant and I had to workout for the Patriots. Me and my agent [Joel Segal] were working on setting up some other workouts. When I went to New England, I felt funny leaving my wife.

“She couldn’t travel at 37 weeks. I would have went straight into camp and would have missed my son’s birth. He was born early term, like the next week, so I would have really missed his birth.”

Crowder, who started 74 games and played in 82, did not send in his retirement papers to the league. He was selected by the Dolphins in the third-round of the 2005 draft, 70th overall.

“I react with my heart,” Crowder said. “It was not a real rational thing. This is the NFL and you only have a certain window. I didn’t feel like leaving my wife. I wanted to be there for my first child to be born so I said I was going to hang it up.”

Missing last season wasn’t tough for Crowder, who just concentrated on his radio career.

“But what surprised me was the mental aspect of it,” Crowder said. “The pressure that it puts on you and the stress that it puts on you; just knowing that from week-to-week you are trying to perform at your highest level to keep a job.

“Just the mental relaxation was cool. But then watching guys, personally I’m bias, that I think I can play with and guys that I think I’m better than, was tough. We’ll see what happens. I’ll work out and see if anybody shows me some attention.”

Crowder said that his wife is fine and that his son is healthy at 18 pounds and 25 inches long.

“He’s a big ol’ boy, now,” Crowder said.

Crowder worked out at Athletes Edge at Florida Atlantic University during the lockout. He’ll go back there and try to get back in NFL shape.

“There is working out and then there is football working out,” Crowder said. “I’ve got to ramp that up. I’ve been running and keeping that sexy look up. Just trying to keep my weight down. I’ve been doing that kind of working out. When I get back on Monday, I’m going to get back into football workouts. I would love to play football again.”

If football doesn’t work out for Crowder, he figures he’s a natural for a career in radio.

“During my playing career I was always known as an outspoken and loud mouth player,” Crowder said. “What is radio? People who are outspoken and have a loud mouth. So there is kind of a natural connection. I love the opportunity that I have with 560.”

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Falcons likely to take a look at Channing Crowder
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:00 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I like him as a player and does make plays, but where does he fit? I can't see him lasting in Nicholas position on the outside so I'm not sure. Does this mean Lofton is gone and possibly training camp battle with Dent and Crowder.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:03 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I always thought he was more of a talker and less of a walker but who knows maybe a change of scenery will do him some good. Would be a nice pick up for depth incase Lofton is looking for D.Harris money.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:17 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Reezy The Savior wrote:
I always thought he was more of a talker and less of a walker but who knows maybe a change of scenery will do him some good. Would be a nice pick up for depth incase Lofton is looking for D.Harris money.

thats exactly what I was thinking. :up:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:29 pm 

Like Lofton, Crowder's a two-down run defender that probably won't mesh as well in the locker room as the much more soft-spoken Lofton. I think he's a good player, but he's only an insurance policy in case Lofton leaves.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:47 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Just say no to Crowder. His bark is worse than his bite. If you're gonna talk, you better be able to back it up. He can't.

http://www.nesn.com/2010/11/channing-cr ... -time.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:21 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Just say no to Crowder. His bark is worse than his bite. If you're gonna talk, you better be able to back it up. He can't.

http://www.nesn.com/2010/11/channing-cr ... -time.html

:lol: :doh: :clap: :rofl:

wow. there's dumb, and then there is Crowder-dumb.

all joking aside, we are either going to lose Grimes or Lofton to FA. That's how I see it. If we 'keep Grimes', then why not work the guy out and give him the vet minimum? If we lose Lofton, then why not have Crowder as 'depth' for Dent and possible 'motivation'?

I understand the guy has a checkered past. He loses his cool and he says dumb things. He 'may' have sold some of his Gator jerseys. He got released by the Phins and retired because he is a dumbass with a bad agent and he didn't want to miss the birth of his child. In short, he is stupid.

But is all that enough to merit the 'scarlett black dot'? If were judging solely on 'wonderlic scores' half our defense would have black dots.

I'd bring him in. For the vet minimum he could be a special teamer or practice squad body, right? He may be one of those 'hidden gems' that good GM's find. Or, he could 'blow it up', but for the vet minimum isnt that worth the risk?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:35 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
f we lose Lofton, then why not have Crowder as 'depth' for Dent and possible 'motivation'?

Crowder just isn't that good. If you want depth or someone to push the starters, I'm sure there are better options at the same price minus the mouth.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:53 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Quote:
f we lose Lofton, then why not have Crowder as 'depth' for Dent and possible 'motivation'?

Crowder just isn't that good. If you want depth or someone to push the starters, I'm sure there are better options at the same price minus the mouth.

what better options? were not going to be able to get one in FA. We spent all our draft picks on Julio, and we have more holes to fill.

I understand the guy has a mouth on him, but I dont see the downside. The worst thing that could happen is he comes in and isnt good, then he gets cut or doesnt make the squad.. If he does have something, then you sign him for one year for 355k with the understanding it is his 'last chance'. If he f*cks up in season, you cut his a$$ and eat the lousy 355k, and you find someone else. If he comes in and minds his P's and Q's, then you get a cheap special teamer and depth at a position we would be very light at. Plus, if he finally got his head right, he would bring a veteran perspective to Dent ala Joe Horn. Joe Horn was known to say a bunch of silly stuff ( before Katrina changed him ) wasn't afraid to call out his superiors, and he was a clown ( remember the cellphone celebration?) but we brought him in and him and Petrino's brother ( along with mommy) turned Roddy into what he is.

my point is simply, we cannot afford this 'good guy/civil servant' attitude in developing and acquiring talent when we already bought the farm with last years fiasco. For TD and Smitty to get out of this mess they are going to have to look long and hard under every rock and change thier philosophy a little. Nobody is saying Crowder is going to be a beast, but if we lose Lofton and Dent goes down and this clown is sitting on someone else's bench, or worse yet, actually contributing to another franchise I'm gonna be pissed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:34 pm 

Crowder's value is that his experience with the coaching staff would be a nice ally to have in the locker room for them as they bridge the gap of leadership.

But the truth is that if the Falcons lost Lofton, and signed Crowder to be the starter. He would be a downgrade for the one year he was the starter, and the Falcons would move on in 2013. If he played for a one-year minimum, is there much risk in that? Nope.

But in such a scenario, Crowder isn't really going to bring a lot more to the table than would say Mike Peterson if the Falcons re-signed him and plugged him in as the MLB for a year. And then hope Dent is ready in 2013 or go in another direction.

Crowder is a decent insurance policy, but I think the Falcons would be wasting their time signing him or any LB like him. They to stop adding these 2-down run defenders. Those guys are a dime a dozen. We already have plenty on our roster. If the Falcons are going to sign any free agent LBs that aren't their own, then they need to look at guys that can cover.

With all of these dynamic TEs in our division and in the league now, I really think teams are going to have to look hard into bulking up safeties and basically trying to make them in the box LBs. The Bills have done this somewhat with one of our old players: Bryan Scott. I think he would be a much smarter signing than Crowder or the like.

The Falcons need a LB that can cover.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:39 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
But the truth is that if the Falcons lost Lofton, and signed Crowder to be the starter. He would be a downgrade for the one year he was the starter, and the Falcons would move on in 2013. If he played for a one-year minimum, is there much risk in that? Nope.

But in such a scenario, Crowder isn't really going to bring a lot more to the table than would say Mike Peterson if the Falcons re-signed him and plugged him in as the MLB for a year. And then hope Dent is ready in 2013 or go in another direction.

Crowder is a decent insurance policy, but I think the Falcons would be wasting their time signing him or any LB like him. They to stop adding these 2-down run defenders. Those guys are a dime a dozen. We already have plenty on our roster. If the Falcons are going to sign any free agent LBs that aren't their own, then they need to look at guys that can cover.

With all of these dynamic TEs in our division and in the league now, I really think teams are going to have to look hard into bulking up safeties and basically trying to make them in the box LBs. The Bills have done this somewhat with one of our old players: Bryan Scott. I think he would be a much smarter signing than Crowder or the like.

The Falcons need a LB that can cover.

why would we sign him to be a starter? :shock:

Is Peterson going to cost us 355k? How much more? Can you tell me how many 'dime a dozen' guys we can sign for depth at this position? At 355k?

WHO on our roster is going to be 'depth' if Lofton goes? We have obviously got 'tons' of guys 'just like this' on our roster, right?

Splain that Mr Pudge :snooty: I may be totally off base, but for the $$ why not?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:12 pm 

I'm not sure where you are pulling this 355k number from. Crowder is a 7th year veteran, and therefore the minimum base salary he could receive in 2012 is $825,000: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/07/20 ... -salaries/

Mike Peterson as a veteran with 10+ years experience will be due a minimum base salary of $925,000. But in the last CBA, the rule was that those veterans would only count about half that much against your salary cap. And I've read that was included in this most recent CBA from the past summer, but a quick Google search hasn't netted me the exact numbers that would indicate. But for the sake of argument let's assume it's around $650,000 that a player like Peterson would actually cost against our cap despite him actually pocketing $925K.

How many dime a dozen guys we can sign? There are plenty of free agent MLBs that are 2-down defenders. Kirk Morrison, Andra Davis, Keith Brooking, Mario Haggan, Philip Wheeler, Dan Connor, CHase Blackburn, Marvin Mitchell, Jonathan Goff, E.J. Henderson are all players that could potentially fill in at MLB for the Falcons and are basically 2-down defenders. Andra Davis, Haggan played under Nolan in Denver in '09, and Mitchell played under him this past year in Miami after spending a few years as the backup MLB behind Vilma in New Orleans.

The Falcons if they lost Lofton, could go out and sign players such as D'QWell Jackson, David Hawthorne, or Stephen Tulloch that could be as good if not better starters than him as starting MLBs. But like Lofton, probably stand to make a decent amount on the open market if they get there.

Wes Woodyard was the Broncos nickel linebacker in '09 when Nolan was there, he along with guys like Omar Gaither, Jo-lonn Dunbar, or Kevin Bentley could be picked up as veteran insurance to add depth at not only MLB but also potentially OLB as well.

My point is that the Falcons shouldn't be so much focused on adding more 2-down run defenders. They have some already on their roster in Peterson, Dent, and Nicholas, and if they manage to retain Lofton, then he'll also be that. If you don't keep Lofton, then the goal should be to get better than him, not just add "Lofton Lite." That's my point about someone like Bryan Scott. Not to be a safety, but to potentially help out as a nickel linebacker.

If a player like Thomas Davis becomes available if he's cut by the Panthers, the Falcons should jump all over him. WIth the explosion of the explosive quotient of TEs thanks largely to the 2010 draft class in the league now, the Falcons need to be on the lookout for that LB that can help them deal with players like Jimmy Graham, Jermichael Finley, Gronk, Greg Olsen, Vernon Davis, etc.

Now perhaps Spoon is the guy that handles that, but ideally you want more than 1 of those guys. And the beef with Lofton is he'll never be that player and won't be any better at covering those types of players than he is today. And that's kinda what Bryan Scott has been in Buffalo the past 2 years. Now is he the solution? No. BUt IMO he would be a bigger step in the right direction than Crowder would be.

Maybe, you tinker with the idea of telling William Moore to put on another 10-15 pounds of muscle and asking him to be that player up in the box in nickel situations. And if so, then you probably should then concentrate on finding another safety to play in the back half instead.

But my point is that those are the types of players this defense needs. Guys that can make us match up better with the Jimmy Grahams of the world rather than the revolving door that would be the case if you went out and signed Crowder for a year and then signed someone else.

If Lofton departs, then IMO the best option to replace him is already on the team, and that player is Mike Peterson.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:40 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
I'm not sure where you are pulling this 355k number from. Crowder is a 7th year veteran, and therefore the minimum base salary he could receive in 2012 is $825,000: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/07/20 ... -salaries/

Mike Peterson as a veteran with 10+ years experience will be due a minimum base salary of $925,000. But in the last CBA, the rule was that those veterans would only count about half that much against your salary cap. And I've read that was included in this most recent CBA from the past summer, but a quick Google search hasn't netted me the exact numbers that would indicate. But for the sake of argument let's assume it's around $650,000 that a player like Peterson would actually cost against our cap despite him actually pocketing $925K.

How many dime a dozen guys we can sign? There are plenty of free agent MLBs that are 2-down defenders. Kirk Morrison, Andra Davis, Keith Brooking, Mario Haggan, Philip Wheeler, Dan Connor, CHase Blackburn, Marvin Mitchell, Jonathan Goff, E.J. Henderson are all players that could potentially fill in at MLB for the Falcons and are basically 2-down defenders. Andra Davis, Haggan played under Nolan in Denver in '09, and Mitchell played under him this past year in Miami after spending a few years as the backup MLB behind Vilma in New Orleans.

The Falcons if they lost Lofton, could go out and sign players such as D'QWell Jackson, David Hawthorne, or Stephen Tulloch that could be as good if not better starters than him as starting MLBs. But like Lofton, probably stand to make a decent amount on the open market if they get there.

Wes Woodyard was the Broncos nickel linebacker in '09 when Nolan was there, he along with guys like Omar Gaither, Jo-lonn Dunbar, or Kevin Bentley could be picked up as veteran insurance to add depth at not only MLB but also potentially OLB as well.

My point is that the Falcons shouldn't be so much focused on adding more 2-down run defenders. They have some already on their roster in Peterson, Dent, and Nicholas, and if they manage to retain Lofton, then he'll also be that. If you don't keep Lofton, then the goal should be to get better than him, not just add "Lofton Lite." That's my point about someone like Bryan Scott. Not to be a safety, but to potentially help out as a nickel linebacker.

If a player like Thomas Davis becomes available if he's cut by the Panthers, the Falcons should jump all over him. WIth the explosion of the explosive quotient of TEs thanks largely to the 2010 draft class in the league now, the Falcons need to be on the lookout for that LB that can help them deal with players like Jimmy Graham, Jermichael Finley, Gronk, Greg Olsen, Vernon Davis, etc.

Now perhaps Spoon is the guy that handles that, but ideally you want more than 1 of those guys. And the beef with Lofton is he'll never be that player and won't be any better at covering those types of players than he is today. And that's kinda what Bryan Scott has been in Buffalo the past 2 years. Now is he the solution? No. BUt IMO he would be a bigger step in the right direction than Crowder would be.

Maybe, you tinker with the idea of telling William Moore to put on another 10-15 pounds of muscle and asking him to be that player up in the box in nickel situations. And if so, then you probably should then concentrate on finding another safety to play in the back half instead.

But my point is that those are the types of players this defense needs. Guys that can make us match up better with the Jimmy Grahams of the world rather than the revolving door that would be the case if you went out and signed Crowder for a year and then signed someone else.

If Lofton departs, then IMO the best option to replace him is already on the team, and that player is Mike Peterson.

Pudge, I was under the impression that because he chose to 'retire' he would not command the 825K, but if he had stayed 'active' he would have..? I got the 355k from googling vet minimum..I must have gotten that wrong. Pat Y says the 'most' he could command is 685K this is from his report back Feb 6 "ESPN’s Pat Yasinskas confirms that the Falcons “aren’t likely” to re-sign free agent LB Mike Peterson.Peterson, 36 in June, ended last season on injured reserve with a torn triceps. His career may be over. The Falcons are known to be looking at “street free agent” Channing Crowder, who has experience starting at all three linebacker positions and could replace Peterson as Atlanta’s utility backup"..

Of course, that's all Pat Y spec. Crowder is loyal to the DC and knows Nolan’s system, he’d be dirt cheap, he’s versatile and he’d offer experienced depth.

If he can shut his trap, that is. :mrgreen:

If we lose Lofton, that means were keeping Grimes. And it means that Dent will take his place. So then the 'backups' are Nicholas and Peterson. BUt if Peterson is not ready to go, or wants too much $$, then I dont understand why bringing this guy in is a bad idea. If he is in football shape, wants to work for the minimum on a last chance basis for a coach he knows and works ok with, I say go for it.

Keith Brooking? Are you serious? :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:13 pm 

Yeah, I take that as all Pat Y speculation, which is dependent on you reading into the idea that the Falcons do want Crowder, which I don't think they do. I could be wrong, but all that has been stated is that Crowder is interested in the Falcons, and Mike Nolan had a good working relationship with Crowder in Miami (but apparently not so good to keep him from getting cut by them last summer). I think people are doing what they often do and think that interest one way means that there is mutual interest. DE Charles Grant has wanted to play for the Falcons the past 2 years, but they have shown absolutely zero interest in him.

Peterson ask for too much money? That's not going ot happen.

I don't know how long Peterson will be out with a torn triceps. I know a year ago, Steelers DE Aaron Smith tore his in late October, and was back at practice by the end of January. So I don't think it's a going to be a big deal if Peterson wants to come back. So I would assume he'd be ready to go in post-draft OTAs if he is on his rehab. But given the Falcons have shown in the past that they are willing to re-sign an injured veteran (see Finneran, Brian), i don't think it'll be a major obstacle to bringing Peterson back.

Now maybe, Peterson opts to hang it up. Certainly a possibility. And if that is the case, then you go out and sign someone else to compete with Akeem Dent for the job.

My point was that if it came down to a choice between Crowder and Peterson, I would prefer Peterson. And if the value of Crowder is that he can be a utility player that can play all 3 positions, there are a ton of other players out there that can do the same. Peterson has been this player for us the past 2 years, and Coy WIre also played this role. Also, those players are a dime a dozen as well.

My other point is that I don't really care who the "insurance policy" player is, but I don't think it should be just another 2-down run defender like Crowder. If you're going to replace Lofton on the roster, might as well target someone that brings something new to the table, like the ability to cover. The weakness of our LB group is not having guys that can play the run well. It's guys that can cover. So by signing someone like Crowder, you're just perpetuating that weakness further.

Profile E-mail