It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Dirk Koetter is the new OC
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:13 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Yes, the 2010 Ravens game. He threw what was then a career high 50 passes and we won that game. And until both of this year's Saints games, where he threw 52 passes in each, that was his career high. And for the record, his performances in both of those games were pretty good, especially the 2nd Saints game.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:41 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
" Pudge wrote" But what I've been stressing is that if this team is going to get over this hump, then the coaching has to change. The coaching has to be better. The Falcons can't be this conservative offense with B-level drafting and expect to win championships that way. To me, there is as clear a gap between Mike Smith and the elite coaches as most would say there is between Matt Ryan and the so-called elite QBs

I can easily agree with this....I still think for changes to happen words need to be spoken, RYAN may need to talk to Koetter need
but maybe not, get us a better line, another back besides Rodgers, and a decent free agent pick-up and then we can see more clearly....

Matt Ryan is not That COLD on the bench.... He goes talks to the O-linemen, he has more than enough leadership to win, wired close
to Eli Manning.....Eli isn't all fiery, and his temperment is close to Ryan's.....

Hopefully Koetter sees this to his way to a head coaching job, and he really uses Ryan in a matter that lets him shine.....I hate it
Koetter doesn't like the "no huddle" and it sounded like he would rather shelve it than use it......

i THINK Ryan will either step up, or go backwards....this year without some changes in both Smith & Ryan we're in trouble.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:29 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yeah, I've said before that MR kind of reminded me of Eli and the Giants kind of reminded me of the Falcons but, of course, that was early in the season when they were lookng a bit mediocre. I think Eli has finally demonstrated for all to see that he is among the very best in the league and I don't think Matt has the physical skills that Eli does. Not to resume beating a dead horse, but as I watched that game last night I couldn't help but juxtapose Eli's super quick release and rifle shot passes threading needles to Matt...not to mention his pocket awareness and ability to allude traffic and extend the play. Eli is def not afraid to fling it. As Cyril says, next year is big for everybody...Smith, Ryan, AB's new stadium, etc. On the positive side was the QB on the other team last night who--as Pudge has noted before--shares a lot with Matt in terms of physical ability and if he had continued to dink and dunk they might have won that game last night.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:34 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
Re-read fun gus posts. The implication is that Matt Ryan is the crux of the problem, if the problem is winning in January, which essentially is just another way of saying what is holding this team back from reaching its goals (winning championships)..

Pudge, my 'issue' is not the 'loss', it's how it was 'lost'. Go reread my post on Dec 26th. I said (in terms of expectations and offseason changes) if Ryan gets to the post season and LOSES, but at least fights for the win, I could accept that. What I saw was something completely different. Has there ever been a playoff game like that where a team only gets a safety, and the other team gets 'shut out'? Ever?

The problem is not just 'winning in January' it's 'losing with class'. Time Tebow was not going to beat the Pats. BUt he at least put points on the board, with a broken rib! Last season, Ryan at least scored against Green Bay. It's not ALL on Matt Ryan, but not even getting 3 lousy points in a playoff game? Cmon man.

Where the debate resides is you can 'accept' the loss, because you like Matt Ryan and you can spread the blame around. That's cool. I cant. I cannot accept checking out.. It is just that simple. Doesnt matter if your name is Ryan, Vick or Joe Harrington.

No sense crying about it, so lets look forward. Im on record being dissapointed with the Koetter hire, because that's the 'safe' choice, and not the 'smart' one. It is what it is. But what are your 'expectations'? If this time next year, and Ryan either doesnt make the postseason or gets bounced again in bitchlike fashion, is that going to color your opinion on Ryan/ new OC?

For me the bar has been set. NO more back to backs. No more 'but look how we sucked for so long'. No more 'Smith is the best coach this franchise has ever had'. Just speaking for me, I need to see a playoff win out of Ryan, or TD and Smitty f*cked up.

And Im sorry, but I do not believe Dirk Diggler is going to take Ryan to that 'next level'. Lets hope ol Fun Gus is wrong about that. :ninja:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:51 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

To be fair, they could have scored more had they played safe and gone for FGs and we would have all been woulda coulda shoulda-ing them about it. But Matt--and others--did play a bit soft in that one. I do agree that a lot of this has been coached into him under the guise of "mistake free football." And I also agree that the day of the feature back driven team appears to be done. Who is NE's back again? Woodhead? Are you kidding me? OTOH--and I know this sounds like sour grapes but--how many post season wins do the Pats have since losing the SB in 07? Were it not for the Ravens WR going Roddy on them at the end the answer, I think, would have been "one." Against Tim Tebow. With broken ribs. At home.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:06 pm 

fun gus wrote:
If this time next year, and Ryan either doesnt make the postseason or gets bounced again in bitchlike fashion, is that going to color your opinion on Ryan/ new OC?

It could. But it depends. If the Falcons make serious strides during the regular season, and then get punked in the playoffs, I'll be more forgiving than you.

The Falcons success against top teams basically relies on them being perfect. That to me is not all on Matt Ryan, that is a coaching issue. This team gets tight. If I see less of that, then I'm willing to be more forgiving. But we'll see.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:02 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
fun gus wrote:
If this time next year, and Ryan either doesnt make the postseason or gets bounced again in bitchlike fashion, is that going to color your opinion on Ryan/ new OC?

It could. But it depends. If the Falcons make serious strides during the regular season, and then get punked in the playoffs, I'll be more forgiving than you.

The Falcons success against top teams basically relies on them being perfect. That to me is not all on Matt Ryan, that is a coaching issue. This team gets tight. If I see less of that, then I'm willing to be more forgiving. But we'll see.

and that's where we differ. See, earlier in this thread I said there would be people who would be saying keep Smith and forgive Koetter and it appears, if the team makes regular season 'strides' you are going to be part of that chorus. And that's cool. At this point,I need to see more then bubble screens with some limited downfield action. If Ryan gets 'punked' in the playoffs,but at least puts in an effort and does not play like a pussy, I will rethink my stance on Matt Ryan. If Matt Ryan 'punks out' of the playoff game himself, I certainly will not be 'Team Matty' and I would prefer to see the whole damn lot go. Smith, get out. Vegan Man, hit the slopes. No welcome back, Koetter. You ALL must go.

your milage may vary :|

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:23 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

backnblack wrote:
To be fair, they could have scored more had they played safe and gone for FGs and we would have all been woulda coulda shoulda-ing them about it. But Matt--and others--did play a bit soft in that one. I do agree that a lot of this has been coached into him under the guise of "mistake free football." And I also agree that the day of the feature back driven team appears to be done. Who is NE's back again? Woodhead? Are you kidding me? OTOH--and I know this sounds like sour grapes but--how many post season wins do the Pats have since losing the SB in 07? Were it not for the Ravens WR going Roddy on them at the end the answer, I think, would have been "one." Against Tim Tebow. With broken ribs. At home.

:lol:

Comparing a 2 time Superbowl MVP to 'Matty Man-gina Ryan' is quite the stretch...But, it reminds me of something I heard this am on the radio. I didnt know if it was true or not, but I looked it up, and check this out:

http://www.theinsider.com/gossip/49452_ ... index.html

Supermodel Gisele Bundchen had no qualms in telling friends who she thought was to blame for her husband Tom Brady's New England Patriots' Super Bowl defeat.

His receivers.

Standing at an elevator after the game with some other Patriots' wives and hangers-on, Gisele was videotaped -- over the loud taunts of heckling New York Giants fans -- saying "I can't believe they dropped the ball so many times. My husband can not f**king throw the ball and catch the ball at the same time."

Gotta love those NY Football GIants Fans heckling her sexy ass. Stay classy, Empire State :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:08 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Give 'em hell, Big Blue. I'm sorry but awoman who is 6'7" just doesn't do it for me. I'm not saying Matt Ryan is in Brady's class but I'm saying if you put Brady on the Falcons he's not 2 time SB MVP.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:04 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Some of you guys are out of your mind!! Discuss it till your crazy but only a few teams make it to the playoffs; and only 1 team wins a Super Bowl a year!! I will continue to say if its" Super Bowl or you'll hold your breath " their will be a lot of dead football fans across these
United States....Of Course I want to win a Super Bowl and often you get a shot when you least expect it; till about 6 players have career
years!!

Football is for fun not despair!!

Under Blank first 6 years we won 44 games and lost 52 of those games.....I didn't watch the first half of the loses then go do something else.
I hung in their and tasted the defeats; and enjoyed all the victories and watched a few playoff games......

Blank gets Smith and the Franchise wins 43 games and only loses 21. Now I'm not saying who a good fan is or isn't; but if the 43 regular winning
games doesn't matter to many;(10 a season) then we're once again on a subject that we'll never find common ground!! The regular season counts for
90% of games played..... We've had the pleasure of going to the playoffs 3 times in 4 years. We're now trying to learn how to win a playoff game. (Maybe it starts with not playing the Super Bowl team first (:

I'm as frustrated as anyone; but after 4 short years calling for Coach Smith's head is not gonna help us. Smith & Thomas.D need to figure it out; and some should realize how hard it is to win 10 games every season!! (and rejoice)

Look I'm not settling for being average; but once you hit that top 80% it gets darn hard to keep winning especially with young Qbs.
We can pick out every flaw of Coach Smith and then more but at the end of the day we are becoming a good franchise!!

I know we have to learn to win the playoff games but 4 years ago we were at ground ZERO; and now some are ready to see everybody go..... Since its been about a month since our playoff loss I guess you guys are serious about " throwing out the bums" but not me....

4 years is not enough time for Thomas D. to become a great GM. or Coach Smith to beome a great coach!! Or Matt f**** Ryan to
become a great Qb. 4 years is light years compared to a decade. For those that didn't expect mistakes from Thomas D. or Coach
Smith your thinking was flawed. Its not going to happen in 4 years from ground ZERO..... Maybe 7 or 8 years or even 6 but more than likely 8+..... Sorry if this busts anyone bubble but perhaps some should enjoy the regular season wins; then go from their to hopefully
some playoff wins....

After All right now in NEW ENGLAND THEIR SAYING IF WE'RE GOING TO JUST LOSE AGAIN ON THE BIG STAGE; WHAT'S THE
USE IN GETTING THERE!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:04 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Cyril wrote:
After All right now in NEW ENGLAND THEIR SAYING IF WE'RE GOING TO JUST LOSE AGAIN ON THE BIG STAGE; WHAT'S THE
USE IN GETTING THERE!!

The Pats already have 2 Superbowl rings and were a dynasty. The Falcons? Just nasty.

Im not ready to throw the bums out...yet. If I see what I saw again in January, no fire, getting bitchslapped and Ryan pussying out, then yes fire them ALL. Were stuck with Ryan so get some guys in here that will not hold him back. I think we know who the chorus leader is :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:26 pm 

Good sentiments, Cyril. But I'll just add it wasn't ground zero. We like to exaggerate and pretend that SMitty & TD started with nothing, but they did not. It was a low point for the organization given all of the off-field drama, but in terms of what they had to do to improve the on-field product, much of that was fixed by improving the QB play. What Smitty & TD have brought more than anything is stability.

I do think they deserve a ton of credit for getting this team to where they were in 2007 to where they were at the end of 2010. But I'm starting to have the sneaking suspicion, that they don't really have anything else in the mix. I think with this Julio Jones trade, that was their best solution to fix what was wrong with the team in 2010. And that failed. And I'm curious to see if they have anything else up their sleeves going forward. And my hope is that the departure of these coordinators sort of becomes the catalyst for change.

But I personally have a hard time having faith in their leadership when they made a trade as questionable as the Jones trade, and seem poised to keep Michael Turner. And I think my expectations for this team will have to go for a team that I think is a step or two away from competing for a championship, to a team that is just a playoff team. There are a lot worse things to root for than the latter, but I've already lived through a similar time before with Reeves post 1998. And maybe I was still too young to appreciate it, but it didn't particularly thrill me back then.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:16 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I really believe it was below ground zero. On Offense it was Roddy & Jenkins and a O-line that nobody was really established except
McClure....On defense it was Babs and Abe..... I know we disagree about this but at least we're talking about the same facts...(I could have left out someone;) but I don't think Blalock, Claybo, & Dahl had shown they could work together; but they did that first
season. Malloy was pretty shot too. But ground zero; or below; or slightly above they had a rather big task at hand.

Yea but the Qb had to be picked, and Turner was not a sure thing, same as getting rid of Boley and Hall.... (I'll agree with whatever)

No Reeves won his last 7 out of 8 in 1997; then nobody expected a Superbowl in 1998. On paper we were not good enough; but Chandler had 25 Tds vs. 12 interceptions; J. Anderson had 1800+ yards; (14 Tds) Martin had a 1,000 yard receiving season; as did Mathis have a career year with over 1,000 receiving yards!!

Ray Buchanan also had his career year with 7 interceptions; and our whole front played together to lead the league in sacks....

So that's 5 career years; and our average Defensive line (Chuck Smith was not average) had 53 sacks to lead the league....

No you weren't to young to not appreciate it; NOBODY was appreciating anything after going 7-9 the year before; (just we forgot how we
ended the season at 7-1) and nobody though anything about playoffs or nothing till we went to MINN. to get killed by Randy Moss and
Cunningham; only to win when their kicker missed his first kick of the season that would have won them the game....

Then completly downhill; Reeves then lost so many games that his final record including the Super Bowl was 49-59.

I never thought this team was competing for a Championship yet.... Even Thomas D. was saying the Julio trade would help us be more explosive; but not change the world... And if it turns out to be a mistake I think after 4 years your right; we're a playoff team trying to learn
how to win a playoff game.....But Thomas D. and Smith are going to make some mistakes.... The difference is folks are already expecting a Super Bowl and I don't think that's happens with a rookie Qb until year 6-8 wich you've mentioned yourself should be Ryan's prime!!

With Reeves no one was talking about anything but waiting for Vick. Now we seem to be waiting for Ryan; but we're winning while we wait!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:56 pm 

Cyril, I've never seen this team as a Super Bowl team. Not last year. Remember, I caught flack for saying I thought we were the 4th best team in the NFC entering the playoffs. I didn't really think we were SB-bound this year either, as I said we were probably the 5th or 6th best team at best in the NFC. I thought it was a possibility if the momentum we built from the Panthers & Jags games had carried over vs. the Saints, but with how flat we were in that game, I had no expectations that we would go far in the playoffs. I didn't think we would beat the Giants, but I started to have some hope as that week progressed given how much faith outsiders seemed to have in our team.

But the thing I want to see is progress. Or at least the ability to be optimistic about progress. And I don't have that. I doubt we really get any better via the draft because we gave up our #1 and TD's drafts as of late have been nothing special. The Falcons seem firm to hold onto Michael Turner, which doesn't thrill me about this coaching staff's ability to maximize this offense. And I can't really say I can trust this team to really make good decisions in free agency, largely because of their draft record causes them to reach too much there in recent years.

I don't feel like there is a sound plan going forward. And so I see this past year's disappointment as regression, and not the kind of regression that you can accept when the team takes a few steps back because you feel the team is poised to take several steps forward.

I want to see this team win a playoff game, that will be the first step IMO before we will see this team really make a legit Super Bowl run. And I think in order for us to win a playoff game, we have to play better against good teams in the regular season. Losses to teams like Houston, New Orleans, and Green Bay have to much closer at the very least. Those should be losses where it comes down to the last possession, if we don't win those games. But we didn't really challenge any of those teams for more than a quarter or two this year. The scoreboard was close, but the momentum was only in our favor briefly in all 4 of those games. That has to change. And I don't think this conservative offensive philosophy where we run the ball (too much) and have nothing dynamic about our offense is going to make those things change.

My only real optimism at this point is that Dirk Koetter is a really good offensive mind, and while Smitty's philosophy might hold him back somewhat, he'll be bright enough that he'll know how to really design an explosive passing attack, that will be able to make strides despite Smitty's insistence on running the ball. And my hope is that Mike Nolan's reputation is also well-deserved and he'll get underachivers like Ray Ray and Dunta to play well, and players like Lofton, Moore, Peters, etc. really blossom to a whole new level in his defense.

And if those things happen, then I think we can win a playoff game. And that'll at least be a start...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:47 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
My only real optimism at this point is that Dirk Koetter is a really good offensive mind, and while Smitty's philosophy might hold him back somewhat, he'll be bright enough that he'll know how to really design an explosive passing attack, that will be able to make strides despite Smitty's insistence on running the ball. And my hope is that Mike Nolan's reputation is also well-deserved and he'll get underachivers like Ray Ray and Dunta to play well, and players like Lofton, Moore, Peters, etc. really blossom to a whole new level in his defense.

And if those things happen, then I think we can win a playoff game. And that'll at least be a start...

Hope in one hand and sh*t in the other. See which fills up first :roll:

:roll:

Nolan does not concern me. Smitty Jr ( Koetter ) does. That bastard better have a 'beautiful mind' because he is got his work cut out for him.

I wont kick him in the nuts until we are 8 games into the season. That's a promise. 8 games in, if he is a f*ck up, Im gonna say it. I will bite my tongue and give the benefit of the doubt, but midway if I see what I think I will......I might have to say it.

just remember this thread....I will 8-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5