It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dirk Koetter is the new OC
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:42 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Just got the word that they hired the former Jags OC. I dont know much about this guy because I dont watch the Jags often but are you all happy or upset about this hire? Me personally I am not a fan so he will have to show me something.

Post subject: Re: Dirk Koetter is the new OC
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:56 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I have read nothing about him that leads me to feel encouraged. I think I am going to be sick!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Go Falcons on Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:58 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

From what I heard he is a pass first guy so hopefully he is able to utilize the weapons we have at our disposal I remember when he was at ASU and he made Carpenter look competent (he was playing in the Pac-10). Hopefully he will be just what the offense ordered. I would have liked them to bring in a guy with some HC experience to kind of be in Smitty's ear on making game management calls hopefully they go that route with the DC (Spags anyone?).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:02 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I hope you are right Reezy. I guess we'll know soon enough. Did we even interview anyone else? Seems like this was a very rushed decision.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:12 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Well the main thing I like is that he is a pass first guy but he didnt have the weapons to do that in Jacksonville so he found ways to get the ball to MJD, add to that the that players have had some major success with him I mean Mike Sims-Walker is a average NFL receiver but when he was with the Jags he was having the best years of his career. I just think it was a nice dark horse higher when he came in the NFL I dont think he understood you have to run the ball but being in Jacksonville has rounded out his coaching acumen so to speak. I will say this if this is more or less the same "Mularkey" we have been seeing for the last four years Smitty will probably be eating cereal at night (fired).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:15 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

He likes the 2-TE offense, and his offense generally TE-friendly. But he's not known for developing great QBs. Tony Graziani played under him one year at Oregon, as well as Akili Smith and A.J. Feeley. Rudy Carpenter and Andrew Walter were the primary QBs there when he was at ASU. And David Garrard and Blaine Gabbert were obviously his QBs in Jacksonville.

He is a reflection of the head coach. He'll run the scheme that Smitty wants run which is still a conservative, ball-control run-based attack just like Jack Del Rio had him run in J-ville. Maybe he makes Ryan into a better passer, and his past as a QB is a step in the right direction but essentially nothing has changed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:16 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

how many NFL teams were considering this guy? one. us.

This is awful. We had a beautiful opportunity, and we screwed the pooch.

WTF is it with Jax? What, so we need thier waterboys, too? Are you f*cking kidding me? THIS is the best we can do?

So let me get this straight. We give them Mularkey and they give us thier trash?

If you want a reason to be mad the the front office and Blank and co, THIS is what should piss people off.

Weak, Artie. Weak, TD. Weak Smith.

WEAK! :x :down:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:36 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Well I am neither against or onboard with the hire for the simple fact that I am havent watched jacksonville I mean what I do know is that he is going to find away to get the best player the ball no matter what (MJD is always around the top of the total yardage standings) and that is something the Falcons haven't done as of lately. I mean he beat the Pittsburg Steelers in the playoffs with with David Garrad, sure it was a year after that 8-8 season but its still the Steelers at home and its still David Garrad lol. I mean all the guys Pudge just named were were lower level in the talent department and in Jacksonville he had no weapons to get the ball to except MJD (due to Matt Jones and Reggie Williams being bust) so I just want to see two or three regular season games before I am screaming, "Off with his head".

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:43 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

In 2011 we were ranked 10th on Offense, Jags were 32nd. Also reading that Mr. Koetter has never had success against elite teams either at the college level or in the NFL. The hiring of this man is supposed to give us faith in our leadership?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:47 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Reezy The Savior wrote:
Well I am neither against or onboard with the hire for the simple fact that I am havent watched jacksonville I mean what I do know is that he is going to find away to get the best player the ball no matter what (MJD is always around the top of the total yardage standings) and that is something the Falcons haven't done as of lately. I mean he beat the Pittsburg Steelers in the playoffs with with David Garrad, sure it was a year after that 8-8 season but its still the Steelers at home and its still David Garrad lol. I mean all the guys Pudge just named were were lower level in the talent department and in Jacksonville he had no weapons to get the ball to except MJD (due to Matt Jones and Reggie Williams being bust) so I just want to see two or three regular season games before I am screaming, "Off with his head".

Reezy, what do you need to see? Mike Smith convinced Thomas Dimitroff that his ole buddy would be a good fit.

Even if he comes here and lights it up, the disturbing thing is that TD/Smith are not going to do due diligence and find the best candidate, instead they are going to find a guy who 'fits the mold' and wont rock the boat. I dont like that. This guy is Mularkey 2.0.

Better start packing Smitty because the gauntlet has been thrown. Another one and done or not making the playoffs next year, in ANY scenario! goodbye Coach Shrek.

All the guys out there we could hire, and we tap into that Jacksonville magic. Again. Only in Falconsland could Jax be convinced that Mularkey would be an upgrade to Dirk, then we hire Dirk. Awful.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:56 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Well, I bet our rival NFC South teams are all celebrating this announcement!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:00 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

fun gus wrote:

WTF is it with Jax? What, so we need thier waterboys, too? Are you f*cking kidding me? THIS is the best we can do?

So let me get this straight. We give them Mularkey and they give us thier trash?

If you want a reason to be mad the the front office and Blank and co, THIS is what should piss people off.

And you were in all the meetings? You have coached how many NFL games in how many positions? :rofl:

I guess Mike McCarthy should immediately be fired for not meeting the "Fun Gus" test - he ran the 31st ranked Offense in SF before getting his HC gig. :dance:

I'll give him a chance. For Koetter to gain my contempt as a Falcon coach, he will have to do it the old fashioned way, he will have to earrrrn it. :lol:

W

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:18 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Wease wrote:
fun gus wrote:

And you were in all the meetings? You have coached how many NFL games in how many positions? :rofl:

I guess Mike McCarthy should immediately be fired for not meeting the "Fun Gus" test - he ran the 31st ranked Offense in SF before getting his HC gig. :dance:

I'll give him a chance. For Koetter to gain my contempt as a Falcon coach, he will have to do it the old fashioned way, he will have to earrrrn it. :lol:

W

well besides your ridiculous 'appeal to authority' I'll address it.

McCarthy was in SF how long there genius? ONE season. Not enough time to make an imprint on the team. Dirk Diggler's been there since 07, when Smitty worked there. So look at his body of work. Go talk to a Jags fan if you can find one and ask them ..

http://forum.jaguars.com/index.php?show ... 00272&st=0

Plus, didnt McCarthy stink that year( 2006?) The fact is, he hired Philbin as OC in 07 and THAT made the difference.

Second, I dont have to be in all the meetings or be an NFL coach to recognize whats going on. Smith wants a guy he's worked with before who wont challenge his offensive philosophy. This guy beat out Schotty,Billick, Clements, Hue, etc?

Dont worry, Wease he will earn it. :naughty:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:43 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Schotty? LOL Have you seen NYJ this year? Have you paid any attention to the chaos that is the NYJ? I think he was hated there by the fans more than MM here

Billick, while I liked him in the hunt, he has not be a coordinator in a decade. His run as a HC was not what you would call an offensive juggernaught. Game passed him by?

Hue? Hue? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA. He was too nutty for the Raiders and he whined his way out of town in the Petrino era.

Clements? Can't say ather than he is a QB coach. Don't know what his philosphy or ability is as a OC.

My comment was not an appeal to authority, it was a questioning of tha basis of yours, or more accurately, the absolute lack of a basis for yours You were making a classic "because I do not approve, he cannt be good argument." :clap: You seem to believe those others were even legitimate candidates, interviewed, or even wanted the job.

Nice ad hominim as well, subtle, but the best ones are, :up:

W

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:00 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Wease wrote:
My comment was not an appeal to authority, it was a questioning of tha basis of yours, or more accurately, the absolute lack of a basis for yours You were making a classic "because I do not approve, he cannt be good argument." :clap: You seem to believe those others were even legitimate candidates, interviewed, or even wanted the job.
W

fail.
Koetter beat out an interview list that included Brian Billick, Brian Schottenheimer and Packers quarterback coach Tom Clements in order to win the job from his old Jacksonville mate. The two were together when Smith was the Jaguars defensive coordinator and Koetter was an offensive assistant.

While Koetter’s offense didn’t impress this season -- even with the league’s leading rusher, Maurice Jones-Drew, Jacksonville finished last in the league in yards gained and 28th in points scored -- the Jaguars have been better under Koetter in years past. Not great, mind you. But closer to league average as opposed to league worst.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entr ... 8/34395954

:rofl:

Look, if Dirk was from anywhere else and hadn't worked with Smith before, do you think he would really be considered over Billick? Of course not.

When they held that press conference and said this year was not going to be 'status quo' they lied. Plain and simple.

They went with the safe hire and familiarity, which breeds my contempt. This is the 'status quo' We bascially traded OC's. Were gonna see more bubble screens and slants. Yippee.

Dont worry. This will not work out well. Next season, when we have won our playoff game please repost this so I can be rightfully mocked.

I was hoping we would get someone who would take Ryan to that next level. This guy aint it. We will see :doh:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:10 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Come on, where is Pudge in this discussion? I want to know if he's stopped caring about the team, because they are certainly trying my patience :snooty: :naughty: To me, this seems like THE SAME OLD SAME OLD! Build around a shrimp RB, JR, and control the clock... UGH! I can't take this any more. All I can say is we better get some talent on Defense because unless we want to luck out like the stupid 49ers and get 5 turnovers on the Saints and STILL have to have two insane 4th quarter comebacks from the likes of Alex Smith, this kind of team is never, ever, going to win anything...

MF1

J. Mora JR.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:12 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

You know the offensive coordinator pick up was bad when I was more excited about the news that Carl Nicks is leaving the Saints than Dirk Koetter.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:32 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Emmitt wrote:
You know the offensive coordinator pick up was bad when I was more excited about the news that Carl Nicks is leaving the Saints than Dirk Koetter.

:lol: :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:35 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Just checked that thread over on the Jags message board and this was one of the more fact based punts

Posted Jan 10 2012 06:49 PM

Jagmanforlife, on Jan 10 2012 06:39 PM, said:
I thought Mike Smith was a good coach....Is he that dumb to want to try out Koetter???? Try getting someone that can help you outscore your chief rival in the NFC South the Saints. Koetter is not the right coach to help them do that. I'm just glad we don't have to watch this brand of football (If Schottenheimer, Mularky, isn't hired.). It's worse than 3yds . and a cloud of dust because he does the same thing over and over again. No innovation, no trick plays, no creativity on offense..It's just bland.

MJD up the middle, MJD offtackle, MJD screen/ or slant pass....PUNT.

What other offensive weapons did Koetter have to work with again?

During his time in the Jags organization, he was able to put up a season with top 10 rated offenses despite a real lack of talent at WR and marginal talent at QB.

He didn't forget how to coach offensively here. He simply didn't have the horses to open up the playbook the way he probably wanted to. Nobody questions his play calling ability based on what he did at the collegiate level. It was bland here because he had no choice.

You have to look at the position he was put in he probably was preparing for his week one game with Garrad then all of a sudden they release him and strap him to Blane Gabbert who is super weak by the way and then is told to make an offense work with that. He did the same thing that Mularkey did with Ryan it just happens that Gabbert is no where as good as Ryan was his rookie year so what did he do he ran the hell out of MJD because he was trying to keep his job probably but in that game against the Ravens he called put players in position to make plays but they just didnt have the talent I mean they dropped one guaranteed TD and two balls that could have went for big plays. Instead of thinking Mike Smith gave him the job because they were friends maybe he gave him the job because he knew that he was being held back by the current personnel.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:52 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVS3WNt7yRU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:34 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Well, I'm just as suprised as everyone else. Why say you are gonna change thins up and then pick up such a similar cordnator? Could we find anyone more similar than Mularkey? TD and smith have proved me wrong before and I sure hope they do it again, but I'm still shaking my head...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:32 pm 

Sorry, I didn't chime in earlier, just got off a 3-hour live broadcast with Ryan trying to convince him that the world is not ending.

This hiring confirms what bnb was saying about that press conference, it was political move by the owner to appear upset rather than something that the head coach and GM really were upset about.

For the record, I don't really have an issue with Dirk Koetter. To me, whether or not the Falcons offense would be dramatically different going forward was on Mike Smith, not the guy who took over Mike Mularkey. Koetter is goign to be asked to do what

And for the record, I don't think the Falcons interviewed any of those other candidates. I'm sure Mike Smith probably has had conversations with his brother-in-law Brian Billick over the past week, but probably not actual formal interview. Maybe Schottenheimer actually interviewed, but I'm sure he was not at the top of the Falcons list. And I highly doubt Clements actually interviewed at any point during the past week. I'm betting Koetter was at the top of their list, and most of the speculation about who the Falcons were looking at was just speculation. At no point did we read any reports that Coach XXX was flying into Atlanta to interview. And in our modern day twitter, social media, CNN/FOX News world, very little things slipped through the cracks.

So I suspect Koetter was their first and last "real" interview.

It's the status quo. But that isn't terrible. The Falcons were a Top 10 offense under Mularkey, and likely will be a Top 10 offense under Koetter. And whether or not this team takes that next step forward will rest on Thomas Dimitroff's shoulders to get good players that fit this scheme/coaching staff, rather than vice versa.

That's the way it always is with conservative head coaches, and Mike Smith is proving to be the rule rather than exception. If and when the Falcons get some Pro Bowl linemen, Pro Bowl RB, and/or HOF/Pro Bowlers on defense, then this team will be a legit Super Bowl contender. And not before.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:48 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

OK, when they hired Smith, when they hired TD, when they drafted Ryan...I thought every time they were making mistakes that just seemed dumb as dirt. I can admit that I was proven wrong for the most part on all three. None of those choices were "sexy" but it is hard to argue that they didn't work out as better than big splashes like Bobby Petrino and Mike Vick. So, we'll wait and see. They clearly are still believing in the Process and this is sort of a natural progression of it, I guess. OTOH, it does help me make up my mind about renewing STs next week. There are other factors involved in the decision but I think AB is going to feel this one a little in that area. I guess I should say this proves that AB isn't purely PR driven because this New Coke move doesn't exactly inspire. Going in a radically dif direction would require a big roster makeover and to succeed might require a new HC to sell it. I will say that Jax looked like the worst team we played all year esp at the QB pos.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:03 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

backnblack wrote:
I guess I should say this proves that AB isn't purely PR driven because this New Coke move doesn't exactly inspire. Going in a radically dif direction would require a big roster makeover and to succeed might require a new HC to sell it. I will say that Jax looked like the worst team we played all year esp at the QB pos.

now this is what I am talking about!

Going Mularkey 2.0 is not what I 'thought' was the point of the last presser.

War Room? More like War Horse. That last presser was a dog and pony show the likes of which Barnum would have been proud.

If the guy gets us a playoff win, I will not post here again. This is not going to happen. Were in the NFC south. We dont have the luxury of being a team with a 1970's philosophy. The game has changed, but the Falcons have not. We needed a guy like Clements. Even Billick. Not Mularkey 2.0 with screen passes and bubble screens instead of Mularkey 1.0 with no screens and rollouts.

In my opinion, we needed 'new'. We didn't get 'new', we got the same, and even worse it appears more like good ol boyism rather then independant analysis. The bar is set: win a playoff game. Anything other then that at this point in the process is 'failure'.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:21 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/schedule/

Okay so 3rd game relative newcomer Freemen beats us 16-13. WTG OC!

Then the carolina OC has the losing team on Oct 16, but anybody doubt he had Cam ready to go?

Christian Ponder damn near gave us fits! BACKUP.

F*cking KNAPP had the Texans in postseason with a ROOKIE!! They COMPETED! Did that f*cker have Yates ready to go?

Welcome back Diggler couldn't do squat with Gabbert who in my opinion has a superior arm against our pitiful defense...I know

LETS TRADE!

Damn.

Hey guys! Warm liquid on your back! The sun is out! Smells kinda funny!

dont worry, Arthur Blank says it is rain. Yay! Lets build an outdoor stadium?! Wheeeeeeeeeee