I'm backing my man fun gus here, because finally there is a like-minded individual with me on Redman.
The thing that worries you about Redman is vs. the Bucs, he was very late on pretty much all of his reads and throws. That's what I mean for someone that is rusty. Had it been someone that had sat on the bench for 15 weeks or 6 months, then it might take him some time to readjust to the speed of the game. But before the Bucs game, Redman played 29 snaps and threw the ball on half of them, so it's not like he was just in there to hand the ball off. There's really no excuse for Roddy White to be waiting 1.2 seconds for Redman to throw him the ball.
This was the main beef with the Dreamboat during the summer. He's not going past his first read and even when the guy is open, he's not really throwing it on time.
When you're being asked to manage the game as a backup QB, all you can really be asked to do is to know your reads and throw the ball on time with accuracy. No one is expected this guy to rally the troops and make these big time throws, just put the ball in the right spot for the playmakers already on the field to win their matchups and execute the gameplan. I'll give him a pass on the Jags and Saints game, but against the Bucs, there is really no excuse.
fun gus wrote:
If he is counted on to carry 2 games, he will drop one.
I agree with this. I just think we're at a point right now where Redman seems to be the safe
choice, but not necessarily the right
choice. Is that well empty?
Here's the way I sort of look at it... If the Falcons let Redman walk after this year, I think there's a 50% chance that they bring in someone at least as good as Redman. And there's probably a 40% chance that they can bring in someone better than Redman. And the remaining 10% is the possibility that a new QB is worse than Redman.
So what is your incentive to keep Redman? There really isn't any. Except it's easy. You probably can get him back for 80 cents on the dollar, because I think Redman is more interesting in collecting that 7-figure NFL check than really trying to go out and prove himself as an NFL player.