It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chris Redman scares the hell out of me
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:28 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

been thinking about this since the last game...I think its time to address our depth at the most important position.

I have and will always remain a big Chris Redman fan. He is the only good thing Petrino has done for us. But, he looks awful lately.

In garbage time when the game was well in hand, against a team that had officially 'given up' he sucked.

QB rating of 40, and an INT.

If you look around the league, not every backup is Curtis Painter or Matt Flynn. But we definitely have to address this issue before it bites us in the a$$

Whereas I used to feel comfy with Redman as a backup, I do not anymore. Ryan is a tough SOB, but against teams that had been blown out, Redman looked like he was struggling.

If Ryan goes down in the playoffs, were screwed, but I cant put all of that on C Redman... But what about next season? Is JPW going to cut it as the 2nd backup QB?

Does it make sense in the offseason to cut one of our backup QB's and pick one off the heap that may be a servicable backup? Because the thought od Redman taking snaps in a meaningful game scares me, where it used to not be a concern.

thoughts?Image

Post subject: Re: Chris Redman scares the hell out of me
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:26 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I noticed that Redman looked very rusty vs. Tampa Bay, and almost mentioned it in my Moneyball review of that game. But didn't because it just seemed extraneous. But then later realized when I was tallying the final totals for the season, that he really had no reason to be rusty because I had forgotten he had played in each of the two previous games (29 combined snaps).

I've never been the hugest Redman fan. I think he's competent, but never really considered him good. I think he gets extra love for his '07 season where he was the best of a bad group of QBs. I think he also gets points for coming close to beating the Saints in '09, and for the win against the Bucs a few games earlier. But I really think that Bucs win was more an example of the Bucs losing it, as he needed 5 tries on goal to go to get the game-winning TD, and only got it when Roddy made one of the best catches of his career. Other than that, there really isn't a lot to really like about him.

I've always seen him as competent, but not good. It's why I wanted us to pursue Matt Hasselbeck during the lockout. It's why I'd be happy if we signed Jason Campbell or Kyle Orton to be Ryan's No. 2 this off-season. It's why the old, fat Donovan McNabb doesn't appear to be a downgrade in my book. It's why I'd give a long look at Chad Pennington if his knee is 100% and he didn't fall in love with his broadcasting gig at FOX. I'd even go after Chad Henne, Rex Grossman, or Brady Quinn.

Even though I talk up the Dreamboat, his play this past summer disappointed me because I expected him to start to show that he was ready to surpass Redman, and he did not in his 3rd summer with the team.

The Falcons were looking at QBs, and drafting a hometown kid like T.J. Yates in the 6th or 7th round this past April made a lot of sense. And in this year's draft, using a Day 3 pick on a good QB that slips through the cracks also makes sense.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:35 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
I think he's competent, but never really considered him good..

I have to go further and say he doesn't even look 'competant'. If you cant get it done against the dogs when they have already given up, you dont stand a snowballs chance in a playoff game or a meaningful end of the season match. At this point, although it pains me to say it, CHris Redman is a liability.

In short, I dont trust either of our backups to carry the team if Ryan goes down. I thnk Grossman is the best fit of the lot you mentioned.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:04 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

yea i agree!! I'd been asleep with Chris concerning him playing in a game......4 years ago was ok, and if what's his name can't beat out Redmon we may need a 3rd Qb too!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:41 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I don't put any stock in the garbage minutes Redman played, they were meaningless and the entire offense played like they were.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:56 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

DaveWaz wrote:
I don't put any stock in the garbage minutes Redman played, they were meaningless and the entire offense played like they were.

Im not quite sure I understand. Are you saying that Redman's poor performance in games that are meaningless dont matter, and he is capable of doing a 'good job' in meaningful games? For me, it's the opposite. If your playing a team that has had 9 consecutive losses and you cant even appear like you have a clue and cant put together ONE TD drive in 2+ qtrs of play, that's not good.

I put alot of stock in how backups play in games, especially against weaker teams. It's the only true arbiter of how they are going to play in games that are important. I dont see anyone on our roster who can keep this team afloat if Ryan goes down for more then one game. With Matt Ryan's backups, if he goes down were Indy South. :down:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:16 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

You fella's are working yourself up for nothing. Redmon is serviceable. He's proved it before. Too much is made after a poor performance around here. :down:

Bring back Shockley!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:03 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
You fella's are working yourself up for nothing. Redmon is serviceable. He's proved it before. Too much is made after a poor performance around here. :down:

Bring back Shockley!!!!!

You are wrong. Redmon is not servicable. He aint Matt Schaub. He aint Steve DeBerg! If he is counted on to carry 2 games, he will drop one. If he goes in the playoffs due to a Ryan injury, were better off watching Hoarders.

Look around. There are a ton of guys we could pick up in the offseason that will serve us better as Ryan enters his 5th season, and we dont need a 'down the road' project, but a proven commodity that is struggling and we could get on the cheap. Thats why I recommended Grossman. You cant expect him to do more then 2-4 games as a backup, because he will give the ball away. But for a guy like Ryan who is tough ( but not indestructable) he would be a good 'clipboard' holder.

Like it or not, we will be in the offseason soon, and we will be looking at next year. I dont see Redman 'helping' us.

Now, I am of the opinion that maybe we keep Redman as the 3rd qb structured under a reduced contract, get a trash heap backup and dont go the 'pick a project' route ala late round drafts. We can do that in 2-3 years unless Ryan suffers a career ending injury ( ala Peyton)

But it's not getting 'worked up' it's getting 'down with the process' 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:52 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

fun gus wrote:
DaveWaz wrote:

Im not quite sure I understand. Are you saying that Redman's poor performance in games that are meaningless dont matter, and he is capable of doing a 'good job' in meaningful games? For me, it's the opposite. If your playing a team that has had 9 consecutive losses and you cant even appear like you have a clue and cant put together ONE TD drive in 2+ qtrs of play, that's not good.

I put alot of stock in how backups play in games, especially against weaker teams. It's the only true arbiter of how they are going to play in games that are important. I dont see anyone on our roster who can keep this team afloat if Ryan goes down for more then one game. With Matt Ryan's backups, if he goes down were Indy South. :down:

Well under this theory than we should also look for replacements for all the other players that also played in the second half, I mean our running game fell apart too, and so did the defense, do they all need to be replaced? We were trying not to run up the score on an opponent we will face twice next year, and in that we were successfull.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:27 pm 

I'm backing my man fun gus here, because finally there is a like-minded individual with me on Redman. :dance:

The thing that worries you about Redman is vs. the Bucs, he was very late on pretty much all of his reads and throws. That's what I mean for someone that is rusty. Had it been someone that had sat on the bench for 15 weeks or 6 months, then it might take him some time to readjust to the speed of the game. But before the Bucs game, Redman played 29 snaps and threw the ball on half of them, so it's not like he was just in there to hand the ball off. There's really no excuse for Roddy White to be waiting 1.2 seconds for Redman to throw him the ball.

This was the main beef with the Dreamboat during the summer. He's not going past his first read and even when the guy is open, he's not really throwing it on time.

When you're being asked to manage the game as a backup QB, all you can really be asked to do is to know your reads and throw the ball on time with accuracy. No one is expected this guy to rally the troops and make these big time throws, just put the ball in the right spot for the playmakers already on the field to win their matchups and execute the gameplan. I'll give him a pass on the Jags and Saints game, but against the Bucs, there is really no excuse.

fun gus wrote:
If he is counted on to carry 2 games, he will drop one.

I agree with this. I just think we're at a point right now where Redman seems to be the safe choice, but not necessarily the right choice. Is that well empty?

Here's the way I sort of look at it... If the Falcons let Redman walk after this year, I think there's a 50% chance that they bring in someone at least as good as Redman. And there's probably a 40% chance that they can bring in someone better than Redman. And the remaining 10% is the possibility that a new QB is worse than Redman.

So what is your incentive to keep Redman? There really isn't any. Except it's easy. You probably can get him back for 80 cents on the dollar, because I think Redman is more interesting in collecting that 7-figure NFL check than really trying to go out and prove himself as an NFL player.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:35 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Who is this Redmon guy? Does he play with that Brookings fellow? :doh:

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:20 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

DaveWaz wrote:
fun gus wrote:
DaveWaz wrote:

Well under this theory than we should also look for replacements for all the other players that also played in the second half, I mean our running game fell apart too, and so did the defense, do they all need to be replaced? We were trying not to run up the score on an opponent we will face twice next year, and in that we were successfull.

well, let me put it this way. If all you need is a slightly below average QB that wont be able to score, thus not 'angering' some sh*tty team with 9 striaght losses and that we will see twice next year, then Redman is perfect.

If you need an average competant QB that can perform well enough to carry the team if Ryan gets turf toe or misses 2-4 games, then he should go back to selling insurance. Because Chris Redman cannot get it done. It's time to move on.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:19 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

McNabb! Hey, I think he might be available!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:37 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

bring him home McKay!