It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chad Johnson challenges D-Lo
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:56 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

For those that didn't tune into NFL Total Access tonight on the NFL Network, Rich Eisen interviewed Chad Johnson, and I'll try to paraphase what is always entertaining when Johnson gives interview.

Johnson talked about what he was going to do with the new rules prohibiting TD celebrations (basically saying he was going to get more creative) and also about the toughness of the Bengals schedule, which is tied for the toughest in the league based on last year's standings. But of course Johnson said he doesn't look at teams, but just at cornerbacks. He said he was disappointed the the matchup between the Bengals and Falcons (i.e. him and DeAngelo Hall) was not going to be showcased on primetime on Monday Night. And he said his off-season and the beginning of the season would be devoted to getting ready for his contest with DeAngelo. He called DeAngelo (along with himself of course) 2 of the best in the game.

Their matchup in the Pro Bowl seems to have Chad believing D-Lo might be the best it seems.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:04 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

See, this is why I like Chad. Yes, he has fun and can be kind of silly, but he's not a jerk about it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:26 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Mortensen reiterated in our draft talk on espn last night that Chad publicly stated that DeLo was the best cover corner in the league. The game is gonna be awesome this year with Cincy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:06 pm 

CJ is my favorite NFL player. I'm still a little bitter that we chose Crumpler over him in 2001, but I'll just point my bitterness at Dan Reeves.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:47 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Pudge wrote:
CJ is my favorite NFL player. I'm still a little bitter that we chose Crumpler over him in 2001, but I'll just point my bitterness at Dan Reeves.

that's as good a target as any!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:11 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

It's okay to point bitterness towards Reeves,...but in this case? Crump has been a delight and CJ has been what he is.

Let's see how Jenkins/White does this year before making that judgement.

This is old news but that's okay too. CJ is just giving his opponent due,...not too dumb, a good thing.

Now we can start the thread,...Which guy do you think is better,...DHall or Deion?

already know where this is going. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:33 pm 

I'm not saying I'm disappointed with Crump, but it's just I'd be much happier with CJ. White and Jenks have talent, but they aren't in CJ's level. Chad Johnson has arguably the best hands in the NFL, and is arguably the best receiver in the NFL, and you would be doing him a disservice if you said he was anywhere lower than #3. I'm hoping for the best with White & Jenks, but I don't imagine I'll ever be saying that about their abilities.

It's a tease, but imagine where Vick would be if he had a receiver like Chad Johnson to throw to his entire career. Transport his rapport with Crump to that of an elite Pro Bowl WR, and it has you drooling.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:16 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I may be a homer but I think Roddy has that kind of potential.....he may not ever reach that potential, but he's capable of it at the least....

Roddy snatches the ball like Crump does, that's what has me so sold on him.....now he just needs to polish his route running and work on getting a quick release off the line....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:12 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Let's do give White/Jenkins this season to show what they're made of. Duos like this tend to feed off one another, causing problems in coverage for opposing defenses. We as Falcons fans know all too well how tough it was to hold down John Taylor and Rice.

I guess there is one thing about CJ that I'm glad we don't have to endure,...and that's his collosal mouth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:51 am 
Superstar
Superstar

While I'd like one of the two to step up and become the true #1 WR, if they both progress equally then it doesn't necessarily have to happen like that. If this happens, then that really puts more pressure on a defense. We've already got Crumpler as the safety valve on just about every pass play, with Finny being the tall possession WR. If you're a D, who do you focus on? While Roddy's more of the blazer, Jenks is more of the physical receiver. Instead of hoping for one to emerge, I'd like to see both progress (they were both first rounders!).

Another thing, I'd love to see us send Roddy straight down the field a couple times a game and let Vick chuck it. If we connect one time then the D automatically has to back off crowding the run game. My fav play when Vick was a VT was the deep bomb to Andre Davis. It worked just about every time b/c Vick would out throw the DB's and Davis just ran right by em. I think he averaged 27.5 YPC that season mainly b/c of that play (was almost the all time ncaa ypc mark).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:39 pm 

It would be nice to see White/Jenks develop into the kind of duo that Mathis & Martin were in '98. In terms of skills, Jenkins compares more to Mathis and White to Martin. But what I thought was so interesting about '98 was that although almost every considered Martin to be our "deep threat", it was Mathis thought wound up making the majority of plays downfield. I hate to get too nostalgic, but I absolutely loved it when the Falcons would force a turnover like an INT or fumble, and on the very first play run that playaction fake and Chandler would bomb it to Mathis for a long TD. We haven't had that ability to make defenses pay since then. It would be nice if White/Jenks bring that back to Atlanta.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:20 am 

I miss Chandler :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:57 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

yeah he was awesome when he wasn't laying on his back.

Chris was the original Kurt Warner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:40 am 

I know it's only about 50 of us out there, but I loved Chandler. And Chandler had more talent in one of his pubic hairs than Kurt Warner. Unfortunately, he got the "benefit" of playing for Martz too late in his career.

Had Chandler played for Martz when he was 27 rather than 38, you probably would have seen some MVP years from him as well.

As everything on this board somehow revolves around Vick, I still don't think Vick has reached the level that Chandler was at in terms of his ability to run the offense and engineer drives with his arm. Does anybody else remember that Packer game a few years back, when Chandler threw for like 350 yards and beat the Pack in Lambeau, a few years before Vick got famous for it in 2002. And that was back when the team was really bad.

But I do believe that Vick is on the verge of having that Chandler-like ability to consistently engineer 50+ yard drives.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:08 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

i disagree Pudge. i don't see Vick with Chandler's skills. if the line didn't get him killed he would have easily made multiple probowls.

fortunately for us Vick gets away from some of those sacks.

unfortunately for us Vick doesn't have that beautiful touch on the deep ball Chris had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:21 pm 

You can't compare Chandler & Vick in any way shape or form. They are two completely different quarterbacks playing in two completely different offensive systems. Chandler was a very underrated quarterback and it's a shame he was stuck behind McNair for so long in Houston/Tennessee it was a waste of talent.

I'm glad Chandler had some good years in Atlanta. Had it not been for his injuries he probably could have reached a level just a notch below Favre. he was dead accurate and could toss the ball for days. I remember at one of the QB competitions Chandler tossed the thing about 74 yards. My first handle on the ESPN boards was ChandlerFan. Chandler was a rare talent that never got a chance until it was too late. Then after he got his chance he got stuck in Chicago where no QB would play well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:00 am 

I'm not comparing them as players. I'm just simply comparing their grips on managing their offense. When Chandler was the man, it wasn't a matter of worrying about him missing receivers, but simply was the OL goign to give him time to make the throws and would the WRs get open and catch the ball.

With Vick, he mostly seems comfortable running the 2-minute offense when he can get into a rhythm. Otherwise, he struggles to get into a rhythm throwing the ball. I think his performance in November indicates that he's on the verge of changing that. But with Vick, it's no only the OL and WRs that hold him back, but his own accuracy and touch.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:31 am 
Superstar
Superstar

unfortunately for us Vick doesn't have that beautiful touch on the deep ball Chris had

- Completely disagree with this line IMHO. Go back to VT days and this was his bread and butter. Simply, we don't try it enough to make it click. Thats why I'd like to see us try about 2-3 a game. If it works it's prob a TD, if it doesn't you've at least kept the D honest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:50 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Think what you want Trak, but when he throws the deep ball, its looks as though he is just HEAVING it up in the air. Facial expressions, body expressions, everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:43 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Well you've gotta run the play to actually get good at it. All you've gotta do is look at Andre Davis ypc in college as the proof that he's plenty capable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:09 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

PB21 wrote:
It's okay to point bitterness towards Reeves,...but in this case? Crump has been a delight and CJ has been what he is.

"What he has?" That's as big an understatement as I've ever heard.

PB21 wrote:
Let's see how Jenkins/White does this year before making that judgement.

Good point. And Alge has been great for us. But we're still another season or two away from seeing what Jenkins and White will become. Had we drafted Johnson, we would've (a)solved the WR problem a long time ago and (b) would have never given up a 1st round pick for Peerless Price.