It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roddy White Feels Falcons Should ‘Scrap’ the Deep Pass
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:20 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Roddy White Feels Falcons Should ‘Scrap’ the Deep Pass
by Knox Bardeen on December 7, 2011

FLOWERY BRANCH — Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Roddy White has been known to be a jokester in the locker room, and he’s usually a fun guy to have around.

Even after Sunday’s loss in Houston, when White took his moment with the media in front of his locker Wednesday, he wasn’t jovial but he wasn’t downtrodden either.

The first question fired at White was about the first series — the two deep passes that were overthrown by quarterback Matt Ryan.

“We just went out there and didn’t hit the plays we were supposed to hit,” said White. “The outcome is what it is. If we hit the early ones, it’s a different ball game. But, we didn’t hit them and we didn’t get off to the start that we wanted.”

Simple. Succinct. Honest.

Here’s where it gets interesting: The second question was again about the deep ball, but this time a more general question about timing and difficulty.

“I have no idea,” said White. “I don’t even know the answer for it. I don’t know, I think we should just scrap it and just do something else. We should just do some other things. We’ve missed a lot of them this year. I don’t really have an answer — we hit them at practice. We just can’t seem to hit them in a game.”

Wow!

White laughed after he made this statement, but it wasn’t a really convincing laugh. The assembled media gave him a chance to take the statement back, or give us a ‘just kidding’, but that didn’t happen.

White gave more of his feelings.

“We’ll probably do some different things,” said White about what the Falcons should do instead of throw the ball deep. “Maybe a few more timely passes, things like that to get the ball out of Matt’s hands and get it to us to see if we can make some people miss and get explosive plays like that.”

And that was that. Apparently White feels the offense should take the deep pass out of the playbook.

I’m still not convinced White wasn’t speaking tongue-in-cheek on Wednesday. But, he had every chance to give us a wink to let us know he was just playing around. That wink never came. White finished up with the media and left for positional meetings.

That’s life dealing with Roddy White on a daily basis. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Roddy White Feels Falcons Should ‘Scrap’ the Deep Pass
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:21 am 
Superstar
Superstar

They can make the headlines anything they want!!

Second Question they don't even give us?
White I guess was honest " we hit them in practice but can't hit them in the games maybe we should just scrap them "

Well its the way half of this board feels I guess..... I don't agree..... I say keep throwing and practicing them; and we'll soon know
if our Qb has about the worst problem a Qb can have that wants an explosive offense...... It's hard to cover for Ryan's throws when
everyone can see them..... If he wouldn't do the interview it would bring more trouble..... The guy says Roddy wasn't mad or acting
frustrating so its just a reporter showing his feelings with his last sentence.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:50 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yep. Keep chunking it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:32 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Roddy has more problems:

http://www.tmz.com/2011/12/08/roddy-whi ... tedstories

No wonder he has stone hands. Nervous :?: :beef:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:03 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Might explain a few things. I recall Chipper getting picked off second base twice in a week's time around the time his Hooters child became news.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:35 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

John O wrote:
Roddy has more problems:

http://www.tmz.com/2011/12/08/roddy-whi ... tedstories

No wonder he has stone hands. Nervous :?: :beef:

Stacey Hott? That's a stripper name if I ever heard one! Hell, (even if Pudge thinks she got her fake boobs to help her 'self image') if the DNA fits it will f*ck up his wits! How do you impregnate a Hott chick? I mean just damn: this is worse then Beerman marrying the cast of Lady Hoggers.

We betta hope this is BS 'cause if it's not, it is not like Roddy is a rocket surgeon. This could mess him up because he is 'passionate' (dumbass) and is already having 'issues'..

Cmon. Stacay Hott?!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:00 am 
Superstar
Superstar

The facts are that Roddy needs about 100 yards to reach his 5th 1,000 receiving yard year in a row..... Sorry guys but this is what Hall Of
Fame players are made of......You can go back to Max McGee of the Packers and receivers have always been a different breed.....

Roddy's dropped a few but won us more games than Ryan.....Just compare his actions to Randy Moss, Moss was a team killer but will be in the hall of fame.... Roddy's off field problems (if their are any) are covered up by Money.....He doesn't have to worry about a thing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:07 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

[quote=Cyril]Roddy's dropped a few but won us more games than Ryan.....[/quote]
You smell that? Smells like bullshit.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:31 am 
Superstar
Superstar

That hurts my feelings Pudge (: Roddy is on to another 1000 yards receiving season..... Ryan has thrown a lot of interceptions....

I think Ryan is playing much worse then Roddy----its all debatable but not bullshit.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:02 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Roddy has a point, we have worked to change the offense and made some progress, but now is the time to do what we do best, run and short controlled passes. We need to win 3 of 4 and doing this will give us a shot, we haven't progressed enough to throw deep and "explosive yet", let's pick this up again next year.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:46 pm 

Cyril wrote:
That hurts my feelings Pudge (: Roddy is on to another 1000 yards receiving season..... Ryan has thrown a lot of interceptions....

I think Ryan is playing much worse then Roddy----its all debatable but not bullshit.

I've never bought into your notion that Roddy is or was our MVP in any year except maybe 2007. Ryan has not played all that well this year, but really when you look at the overall picture of 12 games, he's been mostly good. Except people will look at 3 or 4 bad performances and let them overshadow the 8 or 9 solid to good performances.

Like you, I don't get the "Roddy sucks" vitriol that others have been spewing. Roddy is the same player he's always been, just a few more drops. To me, this year's performance is really just what can be expected after having a career year. THat's the thing that so many people don't quite realize, is that so many of our players had career years in 2010, including Roddy. Now his production has just "normalized" which means a few more drops and the like. But he's on pace to still catch 90 passes for 1175 yards and around 7 TDs. His production isn't that dissimilar than it was in '09, except he's not making as many plays at the end of games that he did then.

Perhaps now people start to understand why WRs are overrated.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:11 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
Cyril wrote:

I've never bought into your notion that Roddy is or was our MVP in any year except maybe 2007. Ryan has not played all that well this year, but really when you look at the overall picture of 12 games, he's been mostly good. Except people will look at 3 or 4 bad performances and let them overshadow the 8 or 9 solid to good performances.

Like you, I don't get the "Roddy sucks" vitriol that others have been spewing. Roddy is the same player he's always been, just a few more drops. To me, this year's performance is really just what can be expected after having a career year. THat's the thing that so many people don't quite realize, is that so many of our players had career years in 2010, including Roddy. Now his production has just "normalized" which means a few more drops and the like. But he's on pace to still catch 90 passes for 1175 yards and around 7 TDs. His production isn't that dissimilar than it was in '09, except he's not making as many plays at the end of games that he did then.

Perhaps now people start to understand why WRs are overrated.

Maybe not 2007? If Roddy wasn't the Falcons MVP last year, then you must have been watching a different Falcons team last year.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:35 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Roddy might have been in the running for MVP last year. But consider this... If Roddy had made the catches this year, we would probably have at least two more wins under our belt, and we'd have a bit more confidence that we'd make the playoffs. But Roddy has made some HUGE drops at really bad times. Matt Ryan has been getting him the ball and giving him opportunities to make things happen. It's hard to say that Roddy is the MVP when it's Ryan getting him the ball. So when you say that Roddy is/was our MVP, I have to say that Ryan is at least equally as important to our team despite Ryan having a down year. And again, if a certain receiver wasn't leading the league in drops, how much better would Ryan look right about now?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:27 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I just said that this year Roddy has won us more games than Ryan.....I've always like Ryan until now.....Roddy is the guy Matt looks for on a big third down, as Pudge pointed out Roddy is on pace for 90 receptions and almost 1200 yards........Now I'm of course not married to the Roddy has won more games than Ryan; but its Ryan who I believe most would say has not improved by a long shot....

Sometimes you just throw shots out there to see the response..... I have never believed Pudge's thought that a receiver was not that
important...... He does have a point if our Qb can't hit them?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:46 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I think it goes without saying that QBs make WRs much more than the other way around and I can't say that Matt looks for Roddy on big third downs. I say he looks for Tony. Truthfully, this over reliance on Tony is a little troubling as I've always heard that a quality TE is a rookie QBs security blanket. Then again, the TE in NE is getting lots of targets too. I truly hope that last year was not acareer year for Roddy and that what we ar egetting this year will be the standard. He hasn't been bad this year by any means but he has not been clutch. Actualy, Roddy has probably dropped more potential game winning TDs than any WR I can remember us having. That is sort of good news/bad news because at least we were in pos to win and he was open enough to get hit on the bricks, I mean, hands.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:48 pm 

Cyril wrote:
I just said that this year Roddy has won us more games than Ryan.....I've always like Ryan until now.....Roddy is the guy Matt looks for on a big third down, as Pudge pointed out Roddy is on pace for 90 receptions and almost 1200 yards........Now I'm of course not married to the Roddy has won more games than Ryan; but its Ryan who I believe most would say has not improved by a long shot....

Sometimes you just throw shots out there to see the response..... I have never believed Pudge's thought that a receiver was not that
important...... He does have a point if our Qb can't hit them?

I'm just not sure how you can say Roddy has won us more games this year or any year than Ryan.

Philly? Gonzo, Turner were more valuable in those games. Seattle? Julio JOnes was more valuable than Roddy in that game with his big plays. Carolina? Turner's 139 yards > Roddy's 2 catches. Detroit? Again, Turner's running, but can't say Roddy was any more valuable than Gonzo & Douglas. Colts? Turner & Jones. Sure, maybe you can count the Tennessee and Minnesota games where Roddy had major impact. But that's about it.

And as others have said, how can you credit Roddy without crediting Ryan, the guy that is getting him the ball? Now, if Roddy makes a spectacular catch or a great play after the catch, I'd be willing to give him more credit. And he has done that at times this year, and in past years. But it's not as if they are that common occurrences. You look at Roddy's 115 catches last year, and you could probably say 70-80 of them were pretty routine grabs on simple throws 7-10 yards downfield, where defenses are much more willing to concede yardage and catches.

The QB is the most important asset of any offense. Without consistency at that position, the entire offense crumbles. You see that in Jacksonville, where MJD is playing great, but Gabbert stinks, so therefore their entire offense stinks. Yet people continue to do their utmost to try and not give Ryan any credit for whatever offensive success this team does have, and all of the blame when things go awry. It's like the complete opposite as when it was for Vick.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:35 am 
Superstar
Superstar

It can work both ways..... Roddy's Td catch was tough, high pass with him keeping his feet in bounds; and the last catch to put the game away, it was a little short but Roddy changed his route and got his hands under it.....

Matt Ryan had a very good second half...... Now if we could just all play 4 quarters!!

I just don't think Roddy is full of himself.... I'll always remember when last year Ryan was picked off; but Roddy jumped up and
the 49er was showboating he knocked the ball away, we recovered and that was the difference in the win,.....I never forget those
extra plays of hustle.....

Their's just some things some of these receivers who think their great will NOT do.....

Lets not argue it, I said I just threw it out there, but you of all people with your stats and more stats, must recognize that five 1,000
receiver yards puts Roddy is a very elite group; and I doubt many people know just how elite this group is!!

Quote:
Welker (1,348 in 2009, 1,175 in 2007 and 1,165 in 2008) joined teammate Randy Moss to become the first Patriots players to have three straight 1,000-yard seasons. It is only the sixth time in NFL history a team has had two players go three straight seasons with 1,000 yards

Quote:
Hines Ward had a streak of 4 consecutive 1,000 yard seasons, which likely could have continued in the 2005 NFL season if he had not missed a game due to injury. In 2002, he set a Steelers franchise record for receptions (112) and touchdowns (12) and was named to his first of two consecutive All-NFL teams. While he is considered one of the best blocking receivers in the NFL, he has also been criticized for habitually hitting defenders on their blind-side. Ward has twice been named the NFL's dirtiest player, as determined by a Sports Illustrated poll of NFL players; the most recent was in 2009.[6]

Well that's Wes Walker, Randy Moss and Hines Ward------I'm just saying this board takes Roddy White very lightly.... Pudge i'd love to know who else has done this in the last 10 years.... I just looked up Steve Smith and he hadn't......

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:05 pm 

Cyril, I'm not trying to say Roddy is J.A.G. by any means. He's a very good receiver, that has been the right hand man of Matt Ryan. And I'm not trying to suggest that Ryan makes Roddy what he is, nor do I think anybody should state/imply that the opposite is true. It's a mutual partnership, just like it is at various positions throughout the league.

It's no different than Tyson Clabo and Harvey Dahl. Clabo has definitely been our most consistent O-lineman for 2009 and 2010. And Dahl was a huge factor in making that consistency. But Dahl doesn't make Clabo consistent, but he certainly is a significant contributor.

I think Roddy is a very good receiver, that is one of the few all-around receivers that can do pretty much anything you ask him, whether that is being a vertical threat, possession receiver, block, catch, run, etc. I don't think he's the brightest bulb in the world, and I think he's more of a prima donna than most have been willing to admit the past few years, which I haven't been shy about criticizing him on. But he's a good WR. Unlike probably many people, I have the ability to compartmentalize. For example, I think Kanye West is one of the biggest d-bags alive today, but I also think he's a very talented musician. So I can happily listen to his CDs and connect with them musically, but not like the person. I will pirate the s*** out of his music because of his d-baggery.

I've always been a person that really doesn't care about what players do Monday thru Saturday, as long as they perform on Sundays. Roddy hasn't performed to his usual levels this year on Sunday, but it's by no means a tragedy in my book.

But IMO this is what good/great WRs do. They put up good numbers, but they don't really have the hugest impact on a weekly basis, thus why I think WRs, particularly No. 1 WRs are overrated.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:52 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I said lets not argue but then you say this?
Quote:
Roddy hasn't performed to his usual levels this year on Sunday, but it's by no means a tragedy in my book.

REC 75, 965 YARDS, 12.9 AVERAGE 6 Tds------sure he may have missed a few extra, but his Partner Ryan has missed plenty !!

Ya see Roddy comes out on a day like yesterday, has 8 receptions 1 TD, and about 85 yards......and no one talks about his good game...... Roddy puts up good numbers most games, its either Harry or Julio that doesn't show......That's why your No. 1 receiver is so important; he's the one getting open; and consistently keeping your team in the game!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:16 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

To clarify, Kanye West "music" also sucks wang.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:40 pm 

Cyril wrote:
I said lets not argue but then you say this?
Quote:
Roddy hasn't performed to his usual levels this year on Sunday, but it's by no means a tragedy in my book.

REC 75, 965 YARDS, 12.9 AVERAGE 6 Tds------sure he may have missed a few extra, but his Partner Ryan has missed plenty !!

Ya see Roddy comes out on a day like yesterday, has 8 receptions 1 TD, and about 85 yards......and no one talks about his good game...... Roddy puts up good numbers most games, its either Harry or Julio that doesn't show......That's why your No. 1 receiver is so important; he's the one getting open; and consistently keeping your team in the game!!

Yes, Ryan has missed plenty, but so has Roddy. He's dropped 12 passes already this year, when he had 10 combined in 2009 and 2010. Haven't you noticed how mutual that relationship has been between him and Ryan? Ryan has some bad games this year, Roddy has some bad games this year. Ryan has great games last year, Roddy has great games last year Ryan puts up good numbers most games too. Stop trying to separate the two as if one is playing well and the other is not.

In both of their cases you have people focusing far too much on the negative with them, and blowing a few bad performances out of proportion. In the case of Ryan, yourself and others tend to focus only on the deep throws where everyone knows Ryan has been bad on, but you forget the other 92% of the throws where Ryan has been pretty good on this year for the most part. And you have a contingent of Falcon fans that take that 8% and make it the end all be all of playing the position effectively at the NFL level. Sure that 8% separates Ryan from being an elite QB, but it doesn't keep him from being "pretty good" and outperforming probably 20-25 other QBs in the league today.

And the same thing is the case with Roddy White, in that people tend to focus on his potentially critical drops, but what it amounts to is a handful of plays that he's missed that separate him from being that elite Top 5 WR that he was throughout last year, but he's still certainly a Top 15 WR this year.

People have to take a step back and realize that one of the reasons why these guys have been so disappointing is that the bar has been set so high with their previous play, and before they pull out the glock and put it to their temple, they need to realize that sometimes players have "down" seasons which by the standards of 80% of the rest of the league is still a very good season.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:04 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

True. I think we are also a Top 10 team or thereabout ...which is borderline middling. But I'm watching the Rams tonight and they look like one of those truly and hopelessly horrible Falcons teams of yesteryear. Bradford looks terrible. They look like they have no bullets in their gun. It makes you appreciate what we've got but at some point the bar gets raised and you have to clear it. These are actually very good times to be a Falcon fan. I think it may take a bunch of guys having concurrent career years to make it to the SB and win it but it could happen and, truthfully, it could happen this year. Highly unlikely but still possible. The "sense of urgency" that Smitty has been speaking of and trying to install in the team has been oddly missing. Maybe when you know you have the talent to get it done you get a little perfunctory in your attitude and approach.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:54 am 
Superstar
Superstar

That 8% he's lacking is what will never get us to a Super Bowl unless he changes that!!The rest I basically agree on from both of us......They both had good second halves Sunday......The long accurate pass is something I'm still in denial about..... As hard as Matt works I just can't believe he can't throw it, and I hope against hope that they not telling Ryan to throw jump balls; when he has to learn to hit an open receiver.....

The pass to Rodgers is what I'm talking about but it was just 31 yards....... Now if he can do it 31 surely he can do it 40 and that's all we need.....I'm just frustrated with the 8%..... The folks who get on here and say he hasn't practiced it just have not played organized football.... QBs love practicing the long ball---its their favorite throw!! Maybe the pass to Rodgers will give Matt the confidence to hit others.....That's exactly what he needs on the 40 yarders.....

3 games over .500 is pretty good for all the problems on the line, the secondary, well heck the whole team.....Regardless how we feel, if we make the playoffs anything can happen!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:41 am 

Cyril, I certainly understand your frustration. After the Texans game, I too am frustrated with this. But at the same time, let's not blow things out of proportion. Will Matt Ryan ever be a great vertical passer? Probably not. But can he reach a level where he's competent, and that "8%" becomes inconsequential? Absolutely.

According to ESPN, Ryan has completed 21.1% of his passes 21-30 yards, and 20% of his passes beyond 30 yards. Now, I don't know what the exact number is for the league average in those two areas, but from what I've seen, competence is proabbly measured somewhere around 35-40% completions there, and being good there ranges around 40-50%, and being great means 50% of more. How far is Ryan away from competence in the 21-30 yard range? Three more completions. Is that an insurmountable number? I don't think so.

Kurt Warner was never really a great vertical passer. Then he went to Arizona and got better. And then he was great in '08, where he completed 50% of his 21-30 yard passes and 47% of his 30+ yarders. Peyton Manning was a good vertical passer during his prime, but his production tailed off around '08, where he only completed a combined 33% of his passes 21-30 yards the past 3 years, and 28% beyond 30. I think a lot of that production has to do with their WRs, as Warner was surrounded by Fitz and Boldin, and grew with them, and Manning's production dipped once Marvin Harrison declined or was gone.

I think there is still room to grow for Ryan with his receivers. And I don't think anybody needs to be making mountains out of molehills as far as his future goes. He's not hitting those passes this year. But that doesn't mean he doesn't hit them next year, or the year after. All we really have to do is get Ryan to a point where he can complete 35-40% of those passes, and if everything clicks in one year like it did for Warner in '08, then this offense can be a force of nature.

I'm as critical of this team as anybody. But the difference methinks is that I tend to criticize "big picture" stuff that I think is systemic to this organization rather than little picture stuff. I think Ryan's vertical passing, Roddy's drops, Eric Weems punt returns, the blocking up front, the play of nickel corner, etc. are all little picture stuff.

The big picture/systemic issues are those that involve their personnel decisions, from how they draft to how they evaluate their own roster, to their coaching and whether or not the coaches understand how to maximize the talent on their roster. And if you cannot solve these issues, then you're constantly going to have these "little picture" things crop up year after year, whether it's Ryan's passing one year, the pass rush the next, the blocking the year after that, etc. because you have these systemic problems with the team.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:07 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge I understand your feelings but don't think the organization is as "stupid" or bad as you make them sound...... I mean this year
we have the problems with Ryan and the accurate long ball. We have really average blocking...... We don't get pressure on the Qb.
Our linebackers can't cover, our safeties get hit for 50 yard passes, so reading this you'd think we've only won 3 games......

Yet here we are at 3 games over .500 the #5 seed at this moment, and this year we've had some injuries......
I think we can win playoff games against everyone except the Packers.... Its one of the things I love about Mike Smith when he
says we "take them 1 game at a time" I think he means it with all his heart....

We may think the Falcons are not all that good; but their is a real reality check when you see they've never lost two games in a row.
So far Thomas's Ds plans for the future can only be looked back upon, and this could be 4 winning seasons and 2 playoffs in a row.